It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is the truth really just round the corner?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AncientShade

Most solar systems are devoid of intelligent life for various reasons and most of those reasons simply end up being 'not suitable'. Generally speaking space is a vast desert and a planet with life is an oasis. A planet with intelligent life is like finding a needle in a haystack in a warehouse filled with billions of haystacks without needles.

Fortunately intelligent species tend to be messy and noisy. Unfortunately space tends to destroy most of those signs with the natural laws of physics.

the general truth is that most intelligent species that exist managed to self-destruct themselves or get wiped out before they manage to develop extreme ways of space travel. (e.g. folding space or better yet, multi-dimensional drives)
Those who have managed to live and develop that technology usually tend to be a bit paranoia about other species. Not to mention the massive blow to their overgrown egoś when they find out that they are matched by another race in technology and development.

Most solar systems are devoid of intelligent life for various reasons and most of those reasons simply end up being 'not suitable'. ok u say that because thats what u,ve been told,how do u actually know that to be the truth?

Unfortunately space tends to destroy most of those signs with the natural laws of physics. yeah our natural laws of physics,whats saying that what we believe to be isn,t a fact?

this is my whole point,unless its what we,ve been led to believe then it aint fact,jesus how do we know what is truely possible or not?

edit on 2011 by sparky31 because: posted without editing

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AncientShade

I'd love to have you explain to me, where you get the information to say that most solar systems are devoid of life. Im sure we haven't even explored more than 1% of them, on top of that there aren't any methods available to us today to really determine if life is on a planet or not. All we can do is compare it to our planet. And even on our planet we keep finding life in more and more extreme environments, not previously expected to harbor life. I think that most solar systems have planets, and most planets harbor life. Why this is so hard for people to grasp, or accept, I will never understand, it seems obvious to me. I wouldn't travel to Australia, a place I've never been to, and be surprised to find life. Its the same for anywhere else in the universe.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm
I think that most solar systems have planets, and most planets harbor life. Why this is so hard for people to grasp, or accept, I will never understand, it seems obvious to me. I wouldn't travel to Australia, a place I've never been to, and be surprised to find life. Its the same for anywhere else in the universe.

You can't compare finding life in odd places on Earth, which already has life on it, to finding life elsewhere. You just can't. Finding life in extreme environments proves that life is pernicious and adaptable. But maybe only on a planet where it already exists. In fact, life is so good at adapting that if you land somewhere, Mars for instance, or look out into space and get a spectrograph of some other planet's atmosphere, if you don't immediately find life, chances are pretty good that it doesn't exist there at all. Which has been the case every place we've looked so far.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

I think that most solar systems have planets, and most planets harbor life. Why this is so hard for people to grasp, or accept, I will never understand, it seems obvious to me. I wouldn't travel to Australia, a place I've never been to, and be surprised to find life. Its the same for anywhere else in the universe.

You can't compare finding life in odd places on Earth, which already has life on it, to finding life elsewhere. You just can't. Finding life in extreme environments proves that life is pernicious and adaptable. But maybe only on a planet where it already exists. In fact, life is so good at adapting that if you land somewhere, Mars for instance, or look out into space and get a spectrograph of some other planet's atmosphere, if you don't immediately find life, chances are pretty good that it doesn't exist there at all. Which has been the case every place we've looked so far.

Makes sense, but what I was trying to say, is that we put borders around us, and supposedly things are different past the borders for no apparent reason. The first border might have been the horizon, the next was a new continent, and now it has become the planet Earth. Earth's boundaries have somehow become the border of life, and its hard for us to say that life exists elsewhere in the universe. But it is absolutely silly to say that all life exists on the planet earth, and that it is extremely rare. It would be like taking a one 12 oz. glass of the ocean, looking inside and saying, yep theres no life, looks like life cant survive in the ocean. I mean your just playing with odds. It turns out that the ocean is teaming with life. You say I can't compare finding life on Earth, but I don't see our galaxy and the earth as two different things, or even the universe and the earth as two different things. So for me the logic makes sense, although I understand where you are coming from. But you can't really think that Earth is the only place where life exists. And you can't really think that we actually have a 100% accurate way of determining whether a planet can harbor life, personally I don't think that we now the limits of life, we just think we do. Planets are so far away, and incredibly dim, when seen next to a star, this makes it incredibly difficult to determine facts about the planet.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
If anything the truth will arrive first hand via an actual ET arrival or radio transmission or something along those lines. No truth will come from the string pullers im afraid, unless of course they have something major to gain from releasing the truth to the general public.

In regards to life on other planets in our universe, I believe it thrives in abundance, much of it intelligent or even infinately intelligent or god-like in relation to mankind. I believe it is very possible for intelligent life to exist around 15 - 30 light years away.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

post by Blue Shift
Which has been the case every place we've looked so far

But isn't it the case that most of the planets checked so for have been gas giants so we wouldn't necessarily expect to find signs of life .
As techniques evolve and technology gets better surely it's likely that we may get different results when we start hitting the smaller rocky planets .

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

And the fact that there is so much space. We haven't explored enough to say that theres this % of life or whatever. We've studied and analyzed the equivelant of one glass of water compared to the entire ocean, of our universe, if not less. We really don't have the information to say a lot about the universe, because we know so little about it.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

Yep exactly, especially when you consider that Pluto isn't even a light year away from Earth and the universe covers billions of light years at the very least.

I would confidently bet my soul that we are NOT alone in this universe!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

reply to post by gortex

And the fact that there is so much space. We haven't explored enough to say that theres this % of life or whatever. We've studied and analyzed the equivelant of one glass of water compared to the entire ocean, of our universe, if not less. We really don't have the information to say a lot about the universe, because we know so little about it.

We are learning more and more almost on a daily basis , new missions and telescopes expand our knowledge like never before .
We have only just started planet hunting and already we know that there are more planets in our Galaxy than Suns , drop the negativity man we are living in an exiting time of discovery

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

reply to post by gortex

We are learning more and more almost on a daily basis , new missions and telescopes expand our knowledge like never before .
We have only just started planet hunting and already we know that there are more planets in our Galaxy than Suns , drop the negativity man we are living in an exiting time of discovery

No negativity, I was just explaining to people who think that we've explored the universe and have found that theres not a lot of life out there, that we haven't really explored yet. Not to dismiss our findings, I mean we've been able to calculate and find out amazing things about our universe and our lives, but we've only just begun.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

is the truth really about to come out?

Probably not ...... Hold on .... the truth about what ?

There are many levels of truth... but trust me, you will find it around the next corner

top topics

<< 1   >>

join