It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the biblical god require, desire, or even acknowledge worship?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Was pondering this last night. The biblical god (lets go with old testament for maximum versatility).

As the title reads, does the deity require, desire, or acknowledge worship...and why?

______
My view on it
(you can stop reading here and answer, I am simply adding my opinion ahead)
______
I muck around with artificial intelligence. when I first started, many many many --- years ago, I made a simple program in school, and for the lulz, I made it shower me with cool worshippy sayings about my awesomeness.
Well, I grew tired of that after about 3 minutes..since then until now, my efforts are far more focused on interesting aspects..trying to give personality, independent decisionmaking, and even a bit of an attitude. I would see a sudden worship of me as a failed experiment.

The bible speaks of us being like him/them...created in their likeness. Fair enough, and it stands to reason then that my little tinkering with AI is similar to the god(s) much more impressive experiment, but there are similarities for desire...aka, looking for an equal, something that doesn't fall and worship in droning fashion, but rather tries its best to become independent of my programming.
in my view, the worship programming string is a corruption towards the intent...and a juvenile desire. If there is a deity that requires this, then to me, it is not a respectable deity and deserves no worship...which means the bible, in my mind, is invalid and made by just a bunch of trolls (be it human or other)
but thats just my opinion based on my viewpoint. would be interesting to see yours)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Yes, he needs worship, so he can thumb his nose up at the other gods, and say 'see bitches? they like me better than you!'.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Why would God need worship in the first place, it shows that there is a need for requirement, but a true God would be above requirements from nature and spacetime.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by binkbonk
Yes, he needs worship, so he can thumb his nose up at the other gods, and say 'see bitches? they like me better than you!'.

I foresee that a multitude of answers such as this are coming, as well as religious cookie-cutter responses using bible verses to justify their God's need for worship.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

In response to your views, I would say that every parent enjoys some healthy praise from their child. However, you raised an interesting point: all parents desire to see their children become independent, rather than take on the role of evolving sycophants.

However, there's a problem with that: Independence means being successful without the help of the parent, correct? So how would God view our destroying each other in violent bids to rule the planet and have all the resources to ourselves?

Would God prefer worship, or violent mayhem that passes for independence?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

You speak of sheep. We are not all sheeples.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Reminds me of the literal translation stuff going on now where we basically picked the newbie spaceman as our god to worship and give higher station

Literal translation stuff thread

But even if thats the case, why would even a super spaceman require/desire/acknowledge worship. I can see the normal wanting props for good work, but worship is very different...and silly.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Again, considering the old testament...
God is a fan of war..hell, he participated in a few by exploding enemies and such...the OT god is not a peacenik hippy and teaches basically any whom do not worship should be converted or impaled.

very odd book, and very odd god, but I am not really trying to touch on the violent fetish that the OT god loves..rather, I am curious about the actual demand of worship

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

God is a fan of war..hell, he participated in a few by exploding enemies and such...the OT god is not a peacenik hippy and teaches basically any whom do not worship should be converted or impaled.

very odd book, and very odd god, but I am not really trying to touch on the violent fetish that the OT god loves..rather, I am curious about the actual demand of worship

The violence and the worship are directly connected. Recall that in Leviticus, instructions are given on the art of ritual sacrifice.

Not only did God demand praise and obedience, but also that innocent creatures be burned... but for what purpose?

If I may jump to conclusions, it sounds to me like someone was power trippin'.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Good luck trying to get any christian, jew, or muslim to question their faith.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Um...how does that say God is a fan of war ? That is like saying our parents enjoy spanking us. Again, consider the parenting perspective of this, for assuming the Old Testament is to be taken as true, God is our father, and he treats us as his unruly children.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

Haha. I questioned the faith even as I attempted to try Christianity. Somewhere deep in my mind, the simple fact I was questioning it told me that modern religion simply wasn't for me.

However, the philosophical questions posed by the Bible are like gold to me.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slavich
Good luck trying to get any christian, jew, or muslim to question their faith.

Stranger things have happened.
I went to catholic school, and many did harbor actual curiosities that were otherwise forbidden to ponder..such as the Adam and Eve story and everyone past generation 2 = incest (forbidden), etc...

I just never remember a discussion on the actual worship thing..only the truely small minded egotistical nutjobs of history wanted worship. the proper response for worship is almost embarrassment.

From my dungeons and dragons days, I know that gods of the D&D pantheons basically existed on worship...if people stopped worshipping a deity, they basically died (or went catatonic anyhow)...so it was in a way, a bit like food for them..focused people energy to keep them relevant. I wonder (pretending all this religious stuff was true) if it works like that...if we can suddenly all stop worship and the god basically die...or we can manifest a new one with sufficient worship of a new god (lets make it the god of good luck, space travel, and beauty next time, alright chaps?)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Um...how does that say God is a fan of war ? That is like saying our parents enjoy spanking us. Again, consider the parenting perspective of this, for assuming the Old Testament is to be taken as true, God is our father, and he treats us as his unruly children.

If that is the case, then he is an insane parent..he freaking murdered most of the world in a flood...he murdered the first born children in egypt, etc etc etc.
so, ya..if the kids are disastrous, you can blame the parents.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass

The violence and the worship are directly connected. Recall that in Leviticus, instructions are given on the art of ritual sacrifice.

Not only did God demand praise and obedience, but also that innocent creatures be burned... but for what purpose?

If I may jump to conclusions, it sounds to me like someone was power trippin'.

I suggest you watch this series...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I repeat, you are judging a freakin' GOD by HUMAN STANDARDS.

Because children completely understand the duties of a parent, right? And where in the OT does it state God was pleased in flooding the world? In fact, he was quite unhappy to have to do it.

When you become a God, you can judge this God (presuming the existence of said God, of course). Don't narrow-mindedly assume you can understand the duties and emotions of an omnipotent being. You have no way of knowing such things.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Because children completely understand the duties of a parent, right? And where in the OT does it state God was pleased in flooding the world? In fact, he was quite unhappy to have to do it.

When you become a God, you can judge this God (presuming the existence of said God, of course). Don't narrow-mindedly assume you can understand the duties and emotions of an omnipotent being. You have no way of knowing such things.

Didn't he create us in his image? Aren't we all capable of thinking of the grandest and almost impossible things? We aren't brainless ignorant children. Do you punish your child after he becomes an adult still?

Or do you fail to realize the best way to raise your child is to talk to them and explain logic/reason to them instead of punishment. but you probably don't have any kids to know how much more effective that is then hitting them and punishing them.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Oh, well, I am not really judging the deity, just his influence and worth on humans.
I find it lacking. Your right, I cannot anthropomorphize my morality towards a deity, but I can judge human standards.
I cannot judge a volcano, but I can determine standing in the path of the glowy red stuff will be unhealthy for me..even if the volcano really wants me to.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass

I foresee that a multitude of answers such as this are coming, as well as religious cookie-cutter responses using bible verses to justify their God's need for worship.

Aha, seems you missed the other option:
Ignore the thread and it will go away

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Slavich

What makes you think the human race is adult? Judging by its behavior, I would say it's barely a teen...even more so before the flood. As I said, your perspective is ill-suited to the grand spectrum of comparison... no offense.

Explain logic and reason? When's the last time any of us actually listened when told not to do something? Of course we're going to have a few idiots that will push the button that says "NO TOUCHING". You assume everyone follows instructions and listens to their betters; everyone does NOT always do so.

A horse wearing blinders will not see the whole field.
edit on CMondaypm222205f05America/Chicago23 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join