It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: SpaceShipOne Now with 20% more power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The maverick genius Burt Rutan s pullng out all the stops to ensure that spaceship one goes down in history as the first private spacecraft to win the Xprize and take three men (or equivalent weight) to the edge of space.
Spacedev the san diego based company which is respnsible for the refueling of spaceshp one's hybrid engines has helped rutan modify the engines to carry more fuel and a longer burn creting 20% more thrust

space.com
When SpaceShipOne screams skyward this month on a mission to win an international human spaceflight competition, its rocket motor will be more powerful than ever, according to the engines builders.

Since its historic June 21 flight, in which SpaceShipOne carried the first civilian pilot to the edge of space and back, spacecraft and engine engineers have been working to boost the vehicle's performance.

"Our motor performed flawlessly during that flight," said Jim Benson, founding chairman and chief executive of the firm SpaceDev, of SpaceShipOne's inaugural manned spaceflight. "But we beefed up the engine even more."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The advances just keep coming, and the closer we get to 9/29 and the Xprixe flight the closer we come to the dream of buyng a ticket into orbit.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Cool 9/29 and they go for the X-prize I hope they win. I think people will look back on the X-prize and perhaps Space ship one as the begining of private space flight for all mankind. Well atleast the people that can afford it.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
These guys must have balls of steel to fly these puppies. I get nervous on a Ferris wheel.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Wasn't the deal for the X Prize two successful space flights in 30 days? Seems a little late.

I'm looking forward to the time that we have construction jobs in space. Just regular guys out there - welding, cutting steel, fitting structures... Probably making as much in future money as an underwater welder does now.

Then we'll be somewhere.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
Wasn't the deal for the X Prize two successful space flights in 30 days? Seems a little late.

I thought that too...

3 months though, does sound more resonable.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
no no no, the requirement for winning the Xprize is to make two successful flights WITHIN TWO WEEKS!!

The June 21st flight was 'just another' test flight.

www.xprize.org...

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
This is great news. Spaceshipone successfully reached the altitude on 9-29 and then again on 10-4-04. These dates are part of history now. Anyone booking space hotel reservations yet?

new topics

top topics

join