It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: New type of Implantable Lenses for the Nearsighted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
The FDA has approved a new type of contact lens which is permanently implanted in the eyes of those with nearsightedness. Though only approved for use in those with minor astigmatisms this may be the first step toward perfect vision for the millons of people with vision problems. Who knows, maybe one day they will be able to replace the eye's lens completely. Also further advancements may allow for the improvement of vision beyond current human capabilities.

www.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (AP) -- An implantable lens to correct the vision of nearsighted people won approval from the Food and Drug Administration on Monday.

The lens is permanently implanted in the eye and can offer an alternative to glasses, contact lenses and laser surgery.

The approval covers the Artisan lens made by Ophtec USA Inc., of Boca Raton, Florida. Ophtec president Rich McCarley said the product could be available to surgeons in two weeks. He said the price has not been determined.

Unlike the implanted lenses that replace the eye's normal lens to correct cataracts, this lens is implanted in front of the natural lens. FDA said it is intended to reduce or eliminate nearsightedness in adults with healthy eyes. It should not be used in people who have more than minor astigmatism, the agency said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Though only the first step, how long until they are able to give people advanced vision, perhaps telescoping sight or extreme high detail? And could these types of lenses be hooked up to PDA's or wearable computers, allowing people to record everything they see?

[edit on 9-14-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
That only would work for people who are either too chicken for surgery or who don't heal easily.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
That's old news. Only problem with this lense is that it will only work unless your vision is at minus 4 diopters or less.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
No wait....That was a lense that reshapes your eye. It'll cost around $1000. You put this lense on before you go to sleep. When you wake up you take it off. During the night it reshapes your eye so that you won't need glasses during the day. The catch is that your vision must be at minus 4 diopters or less for you to get the perfect vision.

I'd rather have LASIK instead performed by a good surgeon.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Befor going out and getting anything done to your eyes better find people who have tryed it a you will find out the RISK involved with messing with your eyes . Ill tell you from personal experience I had a eye injery and after the eye was repared to best of abilty I could no longer use it to blurry .
So after consulting doctors decided to get a cornia transplant and lense inserted . Was told the worst out come would be not being able to use the eye in case of rejection.
well its been over a year now and rejected the cornia inside two weeks from surjery and have had CONSTANT pain for over a year .
So my advice is if you have bad vision is using the simplast fix there is as laser surjery has risk like my was.

top topics

join