It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney vs. Occupy Wall Street a.k.a "Interrupters"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
In a Rally in Flordia over the weekend Mitt Romney responded to OWS.

At one point during his outdoor rally at a building supply company, Romney was interrupted by protesters chanting, “We are the people.” He quickly dismissed them.

“No, actually, these are the people,” Romney shouted back. “These are the people; you’re the interrupters. We believe in the Constitution. We believe in the right to speech. And you believe in interrupting. Take a hike.”

Romney’s supporters drowned them out by chanting “U-S-A.”

Elizabeth Myers, in an email, said she was one of the protesters at the rally. She said the demonstrators started the chant "U-S-A," which the rest of the crowd ultimately joined.

The chant went: "Mr. One Percent. Corporations are not people. We are the people. We are America. We are the 99%. U-S-A."

Though it was unclear to most of the crowd who the protesters were representing, Romney suggested they were attacking “free enterprise.”

“I love these guys, by the way, who don’t like America and our free-enterprise system, and they have something else in mind,” he said. “Take a look at Cuba; take a look at North Korea; take a look at the former Soviet Union. Our system works. What they’re fighting for does not work. I believe in America.”

www.latimes.com...

Video Here..

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
In a nut shell he called them communists, though he might be suprised that Russia has a tax system very similiar to his proposals

He also used the Palanesque rhetoric of "Real America"...and dismissed them as "not The People" which always makes me uncomfortable.

Lastly he tossed in the bit about how they didn't believe in the first amendment, which is always an irony of rhetoric since that is precisely what they were excercising.

So when the Tea Party orchestrated a campaign of disrupting town halls and shouting down democratic politicians, was that free speech? Where they "The People"?

Are those rights dependant on whether we agree with those opinions? Or is free speech meant to protect views that we migth not agree with?

I understand the frustration of a politician trying to get his message out and having to deal with shouting protestors, but the rhetoric of declaring groups that don't agree with you as "Communists" ala "Cuba" and "North Korea" and declaring them NOT "The People" of America seems tyranical and a little frightening to me comming from a potential President.

I would prefer any Politican...Dealing with the Tea Party shouters or OWS to rise above it and find a graceful way to invite them to the conversation and acknowledge their right to protest rather than call them communists and not "The People". Even if the Protesters didn't listen, the politician would score big points for grace and respect for the right to protest. He is going to have to lead all Americans.....and like it or not, those protestors are "The People" too.

Interested in other opinions.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Well said.

Every time Romney goes off script he puts his foot in his mouth. Every. Single. Time. The guy is doing his best to play a character he thinks the voting populace wants to see, but it ain't him, and that's the main problem with his campaign and why he can't break 30% approval ratings. People see him as a phony. Every politician is a phony, but this guy can't even pull off the act convincingly. Romney is, for better or for worse, the 1% that a lot of people are sick of in this country and he's easily rattled, so you get the REAL Romney in comments like this.

If I were the Gingrich campaign, I'd be on this like white on rice. So many angles and different constituencies potentially at play here. The whole politics of division for the middle, populism for the far right and left, anti-first amendment for the far right (and a bunch of the left), etc. This is a political gold mine.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by samcrow

Yes. I agree on all fronts. I wasn't a fan of the TP busting up Democrats twon halls, but I took a deep breath and found myself appreciating that they had the right to do it. It reminded me that this was "America" and the people's voice, even when we disagree, trumps whatever message a politician demands we listen to.

If you have a mass of people shouting at you when you are trying to get them to love you, then whoever they are...you need to think about it, consider their voice and respond in a rational way...We don't have kings or dictators here and the constitution gave a great deal of space to the rights of the people to speak and protest without being declared non-americans and to shut - up.

new topics

top topics

join