It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Paul is being detained at the Nashville Airport by the TSA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This may just be me
but...

Isn't it illegal to detain a Senator while en route to Washington to serve the people?
A vote is scheduled today....

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
There's only 2 scenarios I can think of at the moment:

1) Rand Paul is making a political point and crossing the Rubicon (TSA) to do it.
Which I don't believe since The Paul Family and their camp are not much for political theater, but are Paul Revere types, which has to be weighed in here.

or

2) The TSA is sending the Paul Camp a message, from themselves, or on "someone else's" behalf.

Either way the TSA is screwed.

Sorry TSA you lose.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
People are gonna get fed up with this governments abuse.
www.theblaze.com...
Rand Paul detianed at airport.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Shouldn't everyone be cheering that they are holding US Senators to the same standards as everyday Americans???

He is just the same as us, he should get no special treatment at all.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

If a Senator can be detained, then the intrusiveness of our Government, and the complete and total erosion of our liberties, and the lack of any common sense of enforcement officials becomes very apparent.

If a Senator can be "detained" (or just not allowed to board a plane
), then the TSA is not showing any favoritism and should be applauded.

Do you think he should be allowed to pass through security just because he is a Senator? Do you think he should have special privledges that we don't?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Remember this old document?

Article 1 Section 6 of the US Constitution. “They (senators and representatives) shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any speech or debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other place.”

There you go overrated!

edit on 23-1-2012 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by HallamFoe
I don't know anything about March for Life.

It's about how important it is for government to decide whether or not women should be forced to bear children. It's about how it's the government's job to control women's wombs. Very important, I think. Considering how the Pauls both preach "freedom"!

But I agree that this is probably just Rand's way of getting attention. That's good.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Shouldn't everyone be cheering that they are holding US Senators to the same standards as everyday Americans???

The problem is it possibly has become politcaly moitvated.You don't know who if the TSA agents are perverts or not.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

If a Senator can be detained, then the intrusiveness of our Government, and the complete and total erosion of our liberties, and the lack of any common sense of enforcement officials becomes very apparent.

Do you think he should be allowed to pass through security just because he is a Senator? Do you think he should have special privledges that we don't?

Not to break your trol....er umm line of thinking...but has it maybe dawned on you that Rand Paul refused being pat down because he opposes the process?

Not because he thinks he's "better'?

Or you really think Rand Paul, who writes legislation against TSA, screams and tears into TSA for years now, and opposes TSA at it's core......refused a pat down because he's "not like the commoners".

You're being silly and foolish. Please stop already.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Actually, yes. Kind of.

I mean, we are entrusting him with running the country, and making decisions that affect our lives. We allow him to sit on Capital Hill, and meet with the President, and phone the foreign dignitaries, and travel the world and make deals on our behalf, should we really need to search him before he gets on a plane?

I do applaud TSA for not showing favoritism on the one hand, but on the other hand where is their common sense?

My buddy is an FBI special agent, and he doesn't go through security. He carries his gun on the plane. He is assumed to already be trustworthy because of his position, so surely a Senator should get the same respect?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The government has stepped over board and thoughtless after 9/11.They are trying to protect people from terrorist attacks but this stuff has went overboard.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I agree that a senator is just another person who should be held to the same standards...... unless they are en route to vote. ( short of committing a serious crime)

imagine you are a cop and your states senator is voting for something you are against... i am sure you can come up with a reason to detain him.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12
Remember this old document?

Article 1 Section 6 of the US Constitution. “They (senators and representatives) shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any speech or debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other place.”

There you go overrated!

This is the best comment I've read so far.
It details the common decency that the TSA lacks.
Or wait, they don't believe in the Constitution, so it doesn't matter.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jobeycool

The problem is it possibly has become politcaly moitvated.You don't know who if the TSA agents are perverts or not.

How is this politically motivated???

The only one making this a political issue is Rand and Ron Paul by tweeting about it. They are literally screaming over the internet "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME".

He could of been an adult about it and handled it privately instead of turning it into a political circus.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

And a senator should be an exception to other Americans.................why???

So you are saying he should be given special privelages?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by PaxVeritas

I'm saying he should follow all the same laws and rules as everyone else. If this was just some common joe...they would have done the exact same thing.

Instead of handling it like a man, he tweets about it

link   
Umm, why is this not on the news? Are they serious? Could be them sending a message to the Paul camp. TSA needs to be privatized (pun intended)

link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Nixie, per our own Constitution, they are given special privileges.
See above post.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Is CNN doing more bad reporting? Or flatout lying?

From CNN-

"CNN) -- Authorities blocked U.S. Sen. Rand Paul at the Nashville airport Monday after the Kentucky Republican refused a pat-down at a security checkpoint, his spokeswoman said.

Paul went through a scanner at the airport and set off an alarm, said his spokeswoman, Moira Bagley. He wanted to go through the body scan again instead of getting a pat-down, but officers of the Transportation Security Administration refused, Bagley said.

"When an irregularity is found during the TSA screening process, it must be resolved prior to allowing a passenger to proceed to the secure area of the airport," TSA spokesman Greg Soule said. "Passengers who refuse to complete the screening process cannot be granted access to the secure area in order to ensure the safety of others traveling."

A TSA official said Paul was "not detained" and left the checkpoint willingly. The official was not authorized to speak for attribution.

Paul, one of the most conservative members of the Senate, is an outspoken critic of what he characterizes as an overly obtrusive federal government threatening to strip citizens of various rights and civil liberties.

He is the son of Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination.

CNN's Alan Silverleib and Mike Ahlers contributed to this report."

They're saying "not detained" and "left willingly". Hmmm......and the plot thickens?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Under the NDAA does he not have to be detained "indefinatly". Lol.

the spokeperson says he has been detaimed "indefinately" I heard. A good way to bring the ndaa into the limelight.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join