It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's already begun?The reverse of the Magnetic Poles.Sun and Earth.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Chamberf=6

He does say some very ridiculous things, certainly no defence from me. However, strictly speaking, his title to this thread is correct - it has already begun.

There has been movement for years. Sigh....
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Nice thread, lots of interesting reading and as usual a few arrogant denial posts based on pseudo-scientific bable, which has been going on since the "greatest minds" of a certain time stated the earth was flat. We are discovering new things about our own planet, the sun and the Universe every day, and that includes a few (rare) scientists who have the humility to admit they don't know a lot about the subject even though some of them have dedicated their entire lives to the study of a certain topic.

Reliable sources? As far as my observations, we can find oposite opinions on almost every point of view in the internet, either by ignorance, lack of intelligence or personal agendas. We must CHOOSE what to believe in, even among "well respected" sources. I've seen enough "sicentific facts" debunked over the course of my own life to know better than blindly believe in "reliable sources". In this age and time when anyone can blog and regurgitate about whatever the hell they want, intuition has become a valuable asset.

I truly believe that it's important to admit we have a LIMITED understanding of nature's phenomena and therefore are unable to explain them in their entirety. So I'll state my opinion as an ad nauseum IMHO, based on what I've read so far and have chosen to accept as feasible - YMMV.

Regarding prophecies and such, I believe some of us have ability to get in touch with some sort of "collective counsciousness", for lack of a better definition, which contains trends for the future. Nostradamus and the prophets who wrote sacred books like the Bible, in my opinion, are among these beings.

The mayan calendar is based on cycles, and there's speculations that every time one of those ends there are natural cataclysms of greater or smaller magnitude. Remains to be seen.

There are also astrological aspects for december 2012, which refer to what is known as "ascention" or "vibrational change". Look it up, I'm no expert on the subject but there's plenty of info on it if you google it.

The fact that we'll have a solar peak in december and that Jupiter will be directly aligned with the Earth and the Sun around Dec 2 makes it all the more interesting, seems no one is taking gravitational pulls of the Sun, the planets, the Moon and the center of the Milky Way into account. I do believe magnetism and gravity are but vectors of the same energy type, so one does have some influence over the other. Again, IMHO.

It's interesting to note that besides a huge hole in the Earth's magnetosphere recently reported by NASA, I've seen several articles stating that the North Pole has been dislocating at an increasingly faster pace (currently around 50 km / year) as well as about the weakening of the Earth's magnetosphere, and also several articles pointing out that the magnetic pole reversal has already begun and I'd guess it started slowly and has been increasing its pace as time goes by. Last but not least, there doesn't seem to be a fixed rule about how long a magnetic pole reversal takes, I've read more than one article saying it could take as long as thousands of years and as little as a few months.

We've been witnessing an increase in both volcanic and seismic activities all over the world in the last few months, which MAY be caused, among other things, by the magnetic pole reversal which as far as my understanding goes, would cause the inner molten iron core of the planet to move a bit more erratically which in turn could cause an increase in the planet's internal pressure. Just speculating about what makes sense to me, I don't know ANYTHING for a fact and DO NOT claim to be right. The way I see it we're all just sharing opinions and points of view, no need to go berzerk on anyone over that.

So in short, yes, I do see the possibility of a suddeen magnetic pole reversal as a very real one, as well as an ELE (Extinction Level Event) directly related to it. I do not wish to spread panic or anything like that and do not have a doomsday fixation and/or death wish, but from a spiritual standpoint I do believe it's time for change as I think the dense Earth has reached its limit as an evolution environment for the human race. However I don't think it will be the "end", but only a new (and better) beginning.

Peace,
Deny
edit on 30/1/2012 by Deny777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Deny777

Sure -- a sudden shift of Earth's magnetic poles may be "hypothetically" possible, albeit totally unexpected by our scientific understanding. I'm not going to pretend that science understands the earth 100% completely to rule out this possibility.

However, the pseudo-babble is not coming from science, but from the OP. Science tells us that the Sun reverses its magnetic poles approximately every 11 years. It has done this ever since science has been studying the Sun's magnetic poles. Therefore, this seems to be completely normal.

Furthermore, science tells us that the Earth's magnetic North migrates over time. It has been migrating AT LEAST ever since we first began tracking magnetic North (which is about 175 years), and there is no reason to believe it wasn't doing it prior to that time. So, again, this seems to be completely normal. It is also true that the earth's poles have reversed themselves in the past -- but science tells us this reversal occurs over thousands of years, and not suddenly and catastrophically,

The OP, on the other hand, seems to use these facts as evidence that the Earth's poles are about to suddenly reverse. There is no evidence that this is going to happen, which means that the OP is simply engaging in wild and unsubstantiated speculation. The Sun and the Earth don't seem to be acting any differently than they have been for at least the past century.

Does that mean a sudden Earth pole-reversal CAN'T happen? No -- of course not. Events that are unexpected by science can in fact happen. Science doesn't know everything, and of course it is possible an unexpected and unforeseen pole reversal can happen. However, there is certainly no evidence that this is about to happen soon.

edit on 1/30/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I should clarify my own post to say the a sudden pole reversal of the earth is "possible" -- but only in the strictest definition of the word "possible" (as in "I suppose anything and everything is possible"). However, let me clarify by saying there is no scientific basis for saying a sudden pole reversal of the earth. It would be unexplainable by what we know about the earth.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Studies of lava flows on Steens Mountain, Oregon, indicate that the magnetic field could have shifted at a rate of up to 6 degrees per day at some time in Earth's history, which significantly challenges the popular understanding of how the Earth's magnetic field works.

Source: Wikipedia

Let's say that the shift speed increases to figures like these (and that seems to be happening anyway), but let's conservatively consider an average of 2 degrees per day instead of 6. We'd still have a complete reversal over a period of 90 days.
edit on 31/1/2012 by Deny777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deny777

Studies of lava flows on Steens Mountain, Oregon, indicate that the magnetic field could have shifted at a rate of up to 6 degrees per day at some time in Earth's history, which significantly challenges the popular understanding of how the Earth's magnetic field works.

Source: Wikipedia

Let's say that the shift speed increases to figures like these (and that seems to be happening anyway), but let's conservatively consider an average of 2 degrees per day instead of 6. We'd still have a complete reversal over a period of 90 days.

Thanks for this information. That is certainly interesting.

However, I still contend that the OP has offered no evidence for his assertion that a potentially catastrophic pole reversal here on Earth is imminent.

Just because there are potentially catastrophic events that science cannot explain or predict does not mean that those potentially catastrophic events will necessarily happen soon -- or even happen in our lifetimes or our children's children's lifetimes.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

True, but we're all just discussing ideas, sharing opinions and analyzing hypothesis aren't we? As much as history might indicate a certain pattern for a given phenomenon or series of events, it doesn't mean that that pattern cannot be broken or even that the set of rules we originally thought defined it wasn't correct. The only way we can be 100% of the predictability of an event is having a 100% complete model, which due to the number of variables involved in ours isn't something easy to achieve.

Anyway I apprecciate oposite opinions because they help me get a clearer image on the subject. Moving on, what's your take on the fact that we've been seeing some pretty extreme weather lately along with the aforementioned increase in seismic and volcanic activities? It's thought by some (myself included) that those could be symptoms of a magnetic pole reversal. If we combine those with the weakening of the Earth's magnetosphere and even the appearance of huge holes in it, isn't it feasible that it's a valid hypothesis?

One more thing, the fact that the North Pole has been shifting for as long as we've been keeping track of its location could be an indication that it's its normal behavior, yes. BUT it could also indicate that the magnetic polar reversal has started to happen since before we've started observing the shift of the NP, couldn't it? And the fact that for the past decade the pace in which it's been shifting has increased drastically could mean a pole reversal could be iminent. Just food for thought.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Deny777

Exactly this. Also, the pole reversals take many thousands of years. It isn't like the planet basically flicks a switch to achieve this - it is a slow, gradual process over the millenia.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
reply to post by Deny777

It is also true that the earth's poles have reversed themselves in the past -- but science tells us this reversal occurs over thousands of years, and not suddenly and catastrophically,

The OP, on the other hand, seems to use these facts as evidence that the Earth's poles are about to suddenly reverse. There is no evidence that this is going to happen, which means that the OP is simply engaging in wild and unsubstantiated speculation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

scientists look for the magnetic alignment in different layers of volcanic rock

as the Lava cools, it records the magnetic alignment for all time.
Now, if the land of Antarctica was once situated along the present Equator, it would make sense that plate tectonics would account for the 'thousands' of years between magnetic alignments found in lava rock

in some cases, like iceland where lava cools with various magnetic alignments from year to year... these alignments are called anomalies (unexplained by the current models of pole reversals)

so, IMO, the different magnetic alignments found in rock cannot be the sole deciding factor in the timeline of magnetic pole reversals
~~a volcano might erupt a 100 years apart and the magnetic poles might be in a rapid movement stage and that particular magnetic alignment is recorded in the cooled lava rock... we might then say the lava eruptions are dated 2,000 years apart so the pole switch is a long process,

we just do not know- we only use good estimates
either the landmass moves (either fast or slowly)
or the poles move or even reverse (fast or slowly)
edit on 31-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

What about the information they have gained from the mid-Atlantic ridge that shows slow and gradual change?

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by St Udio

What about the information they have gained from the mid-Atlantic ridge that shows slow and gradual change?

it is assumed that the 3 cm. year floor spreading, and the resulting ridge or rock strata is the actual rate for millions of years...by counting the layers of new ocean floor they assume that each defined ridge is 'one year' instead of 'one instance'...
so i suggest that perhaps a half mile of ocean floor spreading may be the result of many instances of spreading in just one year & not an inaccurate count of 500 years...

this includes the magnetic alignment along with the new spreading seafloor

next the shifting magnetic alignment might be affected by other factors that what is thought to be the reasoning,
such as the previous spread strength of its magnetism that would skew the new cooling magma reaching the surface ridge area
edit on 31-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

You sure it didn't hibernate?

Did you run a diagnostic?

My computer never hibernates, and I keep it fully maintained, it's on surge protectors and all that jazz.

as far as a diagnostic, no critical errors to cause it to crash or w/e, all was well, just a sudden loss of power, and no reboot

edit on 1/31/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

reply to post by eXia7

You sure it didn't hibernate?

Did you run a diagnostic?

My computer never hibernates, and I keep it fully maintained, it's on surge protectors and all that jazz.

as far as a diagnostic, no critical errors to cause it to crash or w/e, all was well, just a sudden loss of power, and no reboot

edit on 1/31/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

It could have been just a short power failure in your local area caused by something totally unrelated to the CME.

Short-term power failures happen often -- I bet almost everyday somewhere in the world, or even just in the U.S. alone. Not every power failure is necessarily caused by a CME.

edit on 2/1/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

So do you think the CME singled out just your computer to briefly restart?

That would be one very accurate and precision CME.

Don't play outside during a thunderstorm.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Hmm, I never claimed the CME to be the actual problem, I'm pretty sure it was something normal.

Just a coincidence

And a heads up just in case we get more powerful ones. I never really took the CME "threat" serious, but it seems I might start.

my apologies if I was misleading. I think?
edit on 2/1/2012 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
In regards to the speed at which the Earth's poles could reverse, my hope would be for that to happen quickly. If it happens over decades, centuries, or longer, we could experience some very bad effects of a severely weakened magnetic system for generations.

Like ripping off a band-aid -- get it over with already.
edit on 2/1/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

In regards to the speed at which the Earth's poles could reverse, my hope would be for that to happen quickly.
But no one knows what will be the effect,could be devastating.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

TextThe International Geodynamic Monitoring System, a part of GNFE (London, UK), has registered on November 15, 2011 a powerful energy release emanating from the Earth’s core. The intense three-dimensional gravitational anomaly was almost simultaneously recorded by all ATROPATENA geophysical stations separated by vast distances from each other in the following cities: Istanbul (Turkey), Kiev (Ukraine), Baku (Azerbaijan), Islamabad (Pakistan) and Yogyakarta (Indonesia). According to GNFE President Professor Elchin Khalilov, the detailed analysis of ATROPATENA station records indicates a powerful energy release emanating from the Earth’s core. According to the scientist, this fact may herald intensification of geodynamic processes in our planet and as a result, a higher number of strong earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis. As GNFE President Professor Elchin Khalilov told WOSCO news agency, ATROPATENA earthquake forecasting stations record particular three-dimensional gravitational anomalies that occur, on average, 3-7 days before strong earthquakes. These anomalies are generated by the passing of tectonic waves (stress waves) under the stations; they are emitted by the focuses of imminent large earthquakes at the moment when the stresses in them reach critical values. These waves travel very slowly, their velocity ranging from an average of 30 km/h on the continents up to 120 km/h in the oceanic crust.
source(theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Where in your above quote does it talk about the sun or about the poles reversing on Earth?

Why do you keep posting off topic in YOUR OWN thread???

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I know your post wasn't directed at me, but please allow me to explain how I see the relation. It is believed by some, myself included, that in the iminence of a pole reversal the magma flow near the planet's core will become somewhat erratic which could theoretically increase the internal planet pressure and maybe trigger such events, as well as other unpredictable behavior since we don't know exactly what the symptoms of a pole reversal are. So it may be related, or maybe it isn't, but worth noting IMHO.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join