It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's already begun?The reverse of the Magnetic Poles.Sun and Earth.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Can you actually explain to me what that diagram shows
I already did that,as I was asked before.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Just to clear it up for people who dont understand or are confused, or are just wrong.

Suns pole reversal is every 11 years.

The most rapid changes to the Sun's magnetic field occur locally, in restricted regions of the magnetic field. However, the entire structure of the Sun's global magnetic field changes on an 11 year cycle. Every 11 years, the Sun moves through a period of fewer, smaller sunspots, prominences, and flares - called a "solar minimum" - and a period of more, larger sunspots, prominences and flares - called a "solar maximum." A maximum and a minimum, taken together, make up one solar cycle. During the 11 years, the strongest magnetic fields (in sunspots) slowly migrate towards the Sun's equator from locations about midway to the Sun's poles. After 11 years, when the next cycle starts, the magnetic field poles are reversed.

Source: solar.physics.montana.edu...

And the Earths pole reversal is anywhere from 10,000 years to 50 million years

One of the things that is interesting about reversals is that there is no apparent periodicity to their occurrence. Reversals are random events. They can happen as often as every 10 thousand years or so, and as infrequently as every 50 million years or more. Questions about reversals are very popular with the general public, and further information can be found in the references given in the Further Reading page of this website.

Source: geomag.usgs.gov...

Hope this helps.

NotTheOne.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Here's an article to support your theory!

What's interesting is that I recall reading, if the pole shifts were to happen, that we'll see Northern Lights farther south then usual.

The effects are likely to be felt on Earth throughout Wednesday.

A more benign effect of the outpouring of particles is the ability to see aurorae, or "Northern lights", farther south than is usually possible.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Maybe the time of change is happening...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
HISTORY LESSON:

Tampa, Florida airport shuts down so that it can re-align its runways with magnetic North, which had shifted some 10 degrees or so towards Russia.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

*I do not know HTML, do not ask me to use it.

If we're gonna flip over, hold on to your baskets because it's gonna be one helluva ride!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

The reason for being able to see the aurora farther south is due to the proton flux. Generally the protons won't make it through the magnetosphere. However, this flare has the largest proton flux seen in the last seven years. Therefore, it is likely that some of the protons will penetrate to the ionosphere at which point they will ionize creating a aurora type effect. It has nothing to do with a pole shift.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I agree with another poster.Quit worrying about things we have absolutely no control over.If bad things happen on a universal scale there's nothing we can do about it.Live life to the fullest and quit wasting time worrying about it.
Sure its interesting from a scientific point of view and awe inspiring, but what, as teeny weeny entities on this tiny little rock floating in a sea of infinity can we do about it?The forces at work all around us are beyond our comprehension and ability to effectively change them in any way.We are still to primitive as a species on a galactic scale to affect type of change to the sun or our own planet in a way that would halt these processes.So sit back tell the people around you that you love them , and enjoy the show.

Debating the actual time line of a magnetic shift is interesting because there is a lot of geological evidence that tells us that something happened in the past and it happened very quickly.How all of this is tied into the sun's cycles and changes over millions of years is because of the symbiotic nature the earth and the rest of the planets have with the sun.

PASADENA--Researchers at the California Institute of Technology think they have solved part of the mystery of the "evolutionary big bang" that occurred half a billion years ago. At that time, life on Earth underwent a profound diversification that saw the first appearance in the fossil record of virtually all animal phyla living today. With relative evolutionary rates of more than 20 times normal, nothing like it has occurred since. In a paper published in the July 25th issue of Science, the Caltech group reports that this evolutionary burst coincides with another apparently unique event in earth history--a 90-degree change in the direction of Earth's spin axis relative to the continents. Dr. Joseph Kirschvink, a geologist at Caltech and lead author of the study, speculates that a major reorganization of tectonic plates during latest Precambrian time changed the balance of mass within the Earth, triggering the reorientation. Thus, the regions that were previously at the north and south poles were relocated to the equator, and two antipodal points near the equator became the new poles. "Life diversified like crazy about half a billion years ago," says Kirschvink, "and nobody really knows why. It began about 530 million years ago, and was over about 15 million years later. It is one of the outstanding mysteries of the biosphere. "The geophysical evidence that we've collected from rocks deposited before, during, and after this event demonstrate that all of the major continents experienced a burst of motion during the same interval of time." David Evans, a co-author on the paper and graduate student at Caltech, notes that it is very difficult to make large continents travel at speeds exceeding several feet per year; typical rates today are only a few inches per year. "Earth has followed a 'plate-tectonic speed limit' for the past 200 million years or so, with nothing approaching the rates needed for this early Cambrian reorganization." Evans said. "Some other tectonic process must have been operating that would not require the continents to slide so rapidly over the upper part of Earth's mantle." In fact, geophysicists have known for over half a century that the solid, elastic part of a planet can move rapidly with respect to its spin axis through a process known as "true polar wander." True polar wander, Kirschvink explains, is not the same as the more familiar plate motion that is responsible for earthquakes and volcanism. While the latter is driven by heat convection in Earth's mantle, true polar wander is caused by an imbalance in the mass distribution of the planet itself, which the laws of physics force to equalize in comparatively rapid time scales.

We are all witnesses to the cycles of nature on earth and in space, and in all our glory and arrogance we feel helpless and weak because all we can do is wait and watch it happen.I can understand how these things upset
people and scare people, because we are used to being in control and when things are out of our control we tend to get insecure.I like many people have experienced this.But when you stop trying to fight it and just let happen what's going to happen it takes away the fear and lets you start to enjoy life.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

What's interesting is that I recall reading, if the pole shifts were to happen, that we'll see Northern Lights farther south then usual.
Thank you for the link and the news.

First,

TextMagnetosphere - the area around the earth that extends beyond the atmosphere. The earth's magnetic field operates here. It begins at about 1000 km. It is made up of positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons. This traps the particles that are given off by the sun. They are concentrated into belts or layers called the Van Allen radiation belts. The Van Allen belts trap deadly radiation. When large amounts are given off during a solar flare, the particles collide with each other causing the aurora borealis or the northern lights.
source(teachertech.rice.edu...

then, the Van Allen radiation belts are weakening,because of the weakening of the Earth's magnetic field and the influence of the Sun's magnetic field in full process of pole shift,as a direct influence of the slowing in speed of the Earth's iron core.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
scientists have mapped many past pole positions from previous pole shifts. would it not be surprising that if these pole shifts wiped out so many previous civilizations that prompted mankind to build monoliths and pyramids to outlast some of these catastrophes and display to the remnant that survive that "we were once smarter and here is a sample" ?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
you guys realize that the poles switch every 11 years and nothing happens right..........

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OGOldGreg
you guys realize that the poles switch every 11 years and nothing happens right..........

Huh?

The poles shift every 11 years and nothing happens?

You can't be serious...of course something happens...to think not is lunacy!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith

Thank you for the link and the news.

First,

TextMagnetosphere - the area around the earth that extends beyond the atmosphere. The earth's magnetic field operates here. It begins at about 1000 km. It is made up of positively charged protons and negatively charted electrons. This traps the particles that are given off by the sun. They are concentrated into belts or layers called the Van Allen radiation belts. The Van Allen belts trap deadly radiation. When large amounts are given off during a solar flare, the particles collide with each other causing the aurora borealis or the northern lights.
source(teachertech.rice.edu...

then, the Van Allen radiation belts are weakening,because of the weakening of the Earth's magnetic field and the influence of the Sun's magnetic field in full process of pole shift,as a direct influence of the slowing in speed of the Earth's iron core.

Let me just ask you: do you have any idea what generates the magnetosphere? Do you know what would have to happen to stop it from existing or weaken?

Hint: its the massive ball of iron spinning at the core of the earth and it would have to stop spinning.
edit on 1/24/2012 by dbloch7986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
going back to where i read that i seemed to have misread. You are right sir.

indeed poles shift every 11 years, but that of the suns poles, not the earths.

Sorry guys

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

If it happens every 11 years, then it is clearly normal. Why is it that all of a sudden it's bad news for the Earth? By the way... those are some pretty pictures that you obviously posted in order to bring more credibility to your thread, but no one knows what they mean, and I would guess that includes you as well.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

By the way... those are some pretty pictures that you obviously posted in order to bring more credibility to your thread, but no one knows what they mean, and I would guess that includes you as well.

This whole thread has seen the OP posting anything he can find related to science, whether it is relevant to the thread or not.

Example: several quotes and posts about biological complexity...nothing to do with the topic.

Many responses have nothing to do with the posts being responded to.

This all looks like it's being made up as the thread goes along.

edit on 1/24/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This may a bit off topic, but I returned today to find my computer off, and a few things reset. And a predicted CME was suppose to hit today correct?

Hmm, these things are really powerful so far this year if that's what knocked out my power for a bit.

It's going to be an interesting year, that's for sure, hang on to your hats!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

You sure it didn't hibernate?

Did you run a diagnostic?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

AFAIK, CME's affect power grids, not individual users, and even then it is usually systems with long power lines that are mostly affected.
edit on 25/1/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I think that your thread is connected to my thread here i am not bumping my own thread but you may like to watch the video posted in the OP.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

The electromagnetic burst associated with the start of this week's storm occurred at about 11 p.m. ET Sunday, reaching medium levels. Then, on Monday and Tuesday, the proton radiation from the eruption hit strong levels, the most powerful since October 2003. That mostly affects astronauts and satellites, but NASA said the crew on the International Space Station was not harmed, and Biesecker said only a few minor problems with satellites were reported.
Some airplane flights over the North Pole were rerouted because of expected communication problems from the radiation.

Solar storm brings fireworks, but few problems
edit on 1/25/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
There are no commercial flight paths over the North Pole, there are only tourist flight destinations to the North Pole and that is only a couple months in the summer, so flights to the NP are out of season. there would only be a military flight path over the NP.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join