It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The diversity of E.T. life could be beyond our expectations.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is a speculative thread intended to inspire imaginative thinking about the possibility of life emerging in what we would think to be hostile or uninhabitable conditions.

We assume that life needs water to survive, but that's only because that's the way it emerged here on Earth. But couldn't it be possible that there is some species out there that doesn't need water. We look for exoplanets and say they might have life because the planet is in the region where water is liquid, but what if a species didn't even need water? What if there were species out there that aren't anything like what we assumed life to be? What if life could evolve everywhere and in every condition using combinations of chemicals that we haven't considered to be conducive to life. There could be species made of gold who breathe nitrogen and drink mercury or something like that.

I can see how there could be species that didn't live anything like we live or operate in any way like us. I can imagine that some species could live in the coldest of temperatures and some in the hottest of temperatures. If that was possible, then the nature of these life forms might render them completely unrecognizeable as life.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Interesting No????

Aliens Exist in thought forms?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
There could be species made of gold who breathe nitrogen and drink mercury or something like that.

I really like that idea, and that would happen to be a very wealthy alien race as well, and probably a hunted one perhaps.

But seriously now, I do share the same thinking of yours. We humans tend to think that only "our way" is viable and true and that anything else that escapes our perception of reality is "impossible" and doesn't exist.
edit on 23-1-2012 by paulorf86 because: correcting grammar.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

The reason why water is so important for life to be created,
is because its easier to travel in water.
When the earth was filled with water only, every germ and what not, could travel everywhere as long as there is water.

There is a reason why semen is liquid.
So the cells can flow. Just like in space.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I hope it ends up like the aliens in men in black. I would pay money to see a talking dog that smokes a cigar

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Life doesn't necessarily need water to emerge , but it does as far as we know need a solvent that could play the same role that wa­ter does in life forms fa­mil­iar to us .
If the solvent re­mains liq­uid over a wide temperature range that would allow the planet to be closer or further away from its star than the Earth , making the possibility of habitable planets inside or outside the theorized Habitable zone that much greater .

Oceans of am­mo­nia and Seas of meth­ane or eth­ane could serve just as well for ET Whales and Dolphins

But Titan looks like the best candidate for non-aqueous life.
It seems to have rivers and oceans, and its sticky surface is apparently made partly from organic molecules. There are nitrogen-containing organic compounds called nitriles in its atmosphere, which, it has been suggested, could react with water ice to form a rich blend of organic ingredients for possible life forms2.

Non-aqueous solvents such as hydrocarbons can support complex organic reactions, Benner points out. In fact, organic chemists usually prefer them to water, which is reactive and can interfere with delicate chemical processes.
www.nature.com...

edit on 23-1-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mrfrodo1524

Can't remember what exactly was said, but a few days ago I was watching the local news and saw something about scientists discovering microbial life that lives off of methane. Wish I could remember the specifics, but I was just passing by the TV and caught a tidbit of info. I'm sure you can find something with google though.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I agree with your OP content. I feel this is where Earth has either intentionally dropped the cosmic ball or accidentally by searching for beings that may only transmit responding signals that only humans can understand. There may have been various contacts sent but due to humanity keeping a narrow mind on the responders and their equipment humans are only searching in a small spectrum of potential responders. So I like this OP for its a major prob. I think hindering message communications. Some beings may be advanced and aim a Long Gamma Ray Burst from a magnatar to communicate long distances and Earth would only see the BEAM flashes and not the signal!?!?!?!? Or Some creations may send probes through deep space that would appear to be comet or asteroid like but internal are very artificial to the senders but to the observes of Earth they may just be seen as simple rocks--YET THE SIMPLE ROCK WENT PASSED AND TOOK A BIO READ OF THE PLANET OF INTEREST!

I think to help this situation scientist of Earth need to broaden their horizon a bit more and look for different types of responses.

there are insects of Earth that communicate I think with pheromones or lower scents like ants. No imagine ants trying to send a pheromone signal to humans on the very same planet but humans had no way of detecting the signal. On a higher scale imagine a massive pheromone signal sent to earth what would it look like and how would it be detected by humans. Further imagine all other animal sea ad insect life of earth detecting the pheromone signal and began to at on it and humans are searching for radio/light microwave ect signals...

PS I think the deep space probes would be detected by higher earth observers or caretakers the general populace may only see rocks in space..

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I was watching a Carl Sagan interview a long time ago and what he said has really stuck with me all this time. He explained that alien lifeforms would likely be so utterly unexpected to us that we wouldn't even recognize them as being alive. He went on to describe things like gaseous bags floating high in a planet's atmosphere. The concept makes perfect sense, I mean there are lifeforms right here on earth that we don't even fully understand. Things get plucked from the bottom of the ocean that look hideous and bizarre to us, now imagine how much more strange life could be with planets out there that have factors that are wildly divergent than those here. What would life look like on a planet that had 100 degree daily temperature swings for example? I think alien life will be way beyond what we imagine it to be. The traditional view of aliens having two arms, legs, eyes, etc. like us but maybe being bigger or smaller and having different skin color is just short-sighted and laughable.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
very nice post... that's what i've tought...
We are superior
and everything must be like us ...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corrupted Data

Interesting No????

Aliens Exist in thought forms?

The computer I'm on doesn't have sound so I can't listen to your video. But, I can pretty much tell you from experience that it is quite possible that you are right. Although I know this is nowhere near mainstream science, I can't help but believe that this kind of thing is a reality. This is sort of off topic, but honestly not really. I was talking about physical aliens made up of known chemicals, but I do believe in what some might consider to be supernatural ("angels", "demons", "God", "divinity", etc.). The universe we live in definitely is a miracle.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Corrupted Data

That video has a thread of its own HERE , any claims made by the anonymous dying Nasa scientist should be taken with a large bucket of Salt , anyone can post videos on YT claiming to be anything , in my view that video is one of those .

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Something to consider in adding to speculation:

We already store data on magnetic tape with credit cards, and it use to be a very popular data storage medium with music tapes, recordings, floppy disks.

How about electromagnetic life that exists and organizes itself as information in the electromagnetic wavelength? Stars and gas giants seem to be big time electromagnetic dynamos. Self organizing magnetic life could exist in these areas, and existing in and of the electromagnetic spectrum essentially as energy, it'd be invisible to us.

It's far fetched, especially as a naturally occurring thing, but, an advanced intelligent species could potentially exploit the electromagnetic spectrum to 'store' an entire civilization.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here's what I think some alien water based life could look like:

To be honest though, these animals did live on Earth around 500 million years ago.

www.burgess-shale.bc.ca...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What about those space critters? ie manta ray types, for example? How do they survive in an ocean of energy but without seeming atmosphere, subjected to radiation and energy? Yet they do.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Actually, I see them a little different, though some might be fish like to some extent. Depends on theiir level and ability to upgrade their bodies. Humanoid shapes and hands that have fingers that can build/create would be rather useful if they were evolving on their own, and not serving another race. Of course not everything is from our channel, ie 3d, earth sun clock space time, now is it?
edit on 23-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
Something to consider in adding to speculation:

We already store data on magnetic tape with credit cards, and it use to be a very popular data storage medium with music tapes, recordings, floppy disks.

How about electromagnetic life that exists and organizes itself as information in the electromagnetic wavelength? Stars and gas giants seem to be big time electromagnetic dynamos. Self organizing magnetic life could exist in these areas, and existing in and of the electromagnetic spectrum essentially as energy, it'd be invisible to us.

It's far fetched, especially as a naturally occurring thing, but, an advanced intelligent species could potentially exploit the electromagnetic spectrum to 'store' an entire civilization.

It's ideas and thinking like this that changes entire civilizations.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
Here's what I think some alien water based life could look like:

To be honest though, these animals did live on Earth around 500 million years ago.

www.burgess-shale.bc.ca...

This is a little off topic, but it seems to me as life evolves, it's survival mechanisms become more subtle.

If you look at dinosaurs, those things were hard wired like they were ready for war. Some had hundreds of jagged teeth and others had defensive horns all over their body. Their scaly skins were very tough. They all seemed to have very prominent survival features.

To this day, survival still plays a huge part in the forming of bodies, but you have to admit, the features are more subtle. Back then there were no friendly neighborhood kitty cats, there were huge monsters prowling around ready to kill.

It's as if the first life forms, in their emergent fear of the unknown came prepared for battle but then realized that all that conflict was largely unnecessary. To me, it seems like the belief in survival is becoming a thing of the past.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Your intend is commendable, but few of us have enough knowledge of chemistry and physics to offer much of anything constructive in a physical sense.

Of course a discourse of "diversity of E.T. life" must include what comes from such divesities, meaning, ideologies, social structures, cultural mores, etc., dependent upon the particular local environment--if even those words would apply!.
Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way that many ATS members can't think beyond their own eyebrows about those non-physical possibilities especially how they would relate to us IF any of those entities were to have the capability to travel here.

Good luck with the thread.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

The diversity of E.T. life is not only beyond all human expectations, it is far beyond human understanding, and even human imagination. We of Humanity, planet Earth, this sector, seem to think we are the most evolved, most intelligent creatures in the universe, be we are only fooling ourselves. We are children, in the big scope and grandeur of it all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join