It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Following New EU Sanctions, Iran Says Closing The Strait Of Hormuz Is Now Its Legal Right

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Even the IAEA doesn't believe what you are saying Corrupt.

They have found traces of highly enriched uranium. Even if they didn't, Iran is stockpiling what they have at the 20% that you find so acceptable. This reduces the amount of time to weapons grade down to weeks.

Even if you took everything they are doing at face value, no lies, it still adds up to weapons program.

Dont worry Aeons...............

Me and Kim Jong-un,believe you.

Thats all you need to know...............

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Hey just a thought. Maybe Irans playing the classic old magican trick. Look over here this is where the action will take place.( Straight of homos.) Then BANG! Hit them where they were not looking. Now where are we not looking?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by aarys
Hey just a thought. Maybe Irans playing the classic old magican trick. Look over here this is where the action will take place.( Straight of homos.) Then BANG! Hit them where they were not looking. Now where are we not looking?

( Straight of homos.)

is that near the Island of Lesbos??

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I know where i would rather be. Set a sail straight up to the Island of Lesbos.

edit on 18/01/11 by aarys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Touche...........

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
So basically Iran is saying, " if we aren't doing business, no one will be doing business in this area".... Am I close?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
www.presstv.ir...

Found this ^

Despite fresh EU sanctions against Iran's oil exports, China has shown interest in Iran's oil with hiring at least two supertankers to ship oil from the country.

Clarkson Research Services Ltd., a unit of the world's largest shipbroker, announced the two supertankers were booked to carry about 2 million barrels of crude from Iran's Khark Island to China.

Now the US doesn't want to go provoking the Chinese do they?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

The Fat Boy believes anything, even his own press.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Im personally still trying to figure out why gas is still over three dollars a gallon. :/

The simple facts of:

20 years of green legislation that has led to increased foreign oil shipments to the US.
20 years of regulation that has led to not one new oil refinery being built in the US.

"Save the planet" has led us to this point to where this nation depends on Middle East oil that this nation's and the world economies revolve around it and without it we would be looking at 1000 a gallon oil prices.

The rise in China's energy consumption as well as other countries Growing up use to spend 89 cents a gallon but enter outsourcing and development of other countries it was cheaper and will never go back to those levels.

The last equation is the Federal Reserve and the manipulation of the dollar and it being tied to oil.

Lot of factors of the price of oil the solution to ending war and foreign dependence is

DRILL BABY DRILL.

But no the tree huggers have won for over 20 years this is the world they created and now people "don't like it".

If people want to know the reasons for Iraq and Afghanistan and the reason for over 170 military bases in the world is because of two bit regimes who think they own international waters like Iran.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
These EU sanctions dont go into effect until 1 of July 2012. So its still a long way until you people will see war.

Iran wont make good on their threats to close the strait until summer, if they are gonna.

Aren't US sanctions in place now? Economic sanctions are also an act of war.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

Im having a hard time understanding those who say Iran has a legal right to close the straits. doesn't the country on the opposite side of this water way have any say in this? isn't it their strait as well?

Of course they have no right to close the entire width of the strait, only their half of it. But that can effectively close the strait for all large ships, not because of the width of the ships, but the depth of the strait.

The strait is shallow for a distance on the Iranian side and later shallow on the other side. So all the large ships passing through are forced to go through the territorial waters of both before crossing it. Technically either of them has the right to block its half of the strait and hence blocking off the strait to all large ships.

Not sure if it is too expensive to deepen the strait for its entire length by digging and probably making an island in the international waters from the dug up dirt. The real estate on the island may pay back the cost of digging
If not too expensive it could be a long term solution. Unless the countries on both sides agree to close it, it will remain open.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by ModernAcademia

They don't have the right to take that straight away from anybody. The US should just mind it's own business unless it does want to start a war, which is becoming more and more obvious.

~Tenth

Well, War is our major export. We manufacture war, and import oil and cheap labor. Its just modern imperialism for ya.

Iran on the other hand, either has a death wish, or want the US to strike so that they can rally all their islamic radicals and sympathetic neighboring countries and kick off the next major war of this century.

Seriously, this stale mate in the Straight of Hormuz reminds me of the way supposedly FDR and his top naval command received intelligence of an imminent Japanese strike at Pearl Harbor, but instead of preparing for battle, all the ships and planes were situated so that they were easy targets and undefendable, in turn thrusting the US into WWII

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

All Iran has to do is allow UN Inspectors into check that it's nuclear development programme is indeed solely aimed at developing an internal nuclear power capability and not nuclear weapons.

Personally I believe Iran has every right to develop nuclear power, providing it's safe.
I am very uneasy about the prospect of Iran gaining nuclear weapon capability.

However, I am unsure about the effectiveness of sanctions.
Surely it's better to work with Iranian scientists on this.....but if Iran won't play ball and refuses to engage in frank and open discussions and inspections etc well what course of action can the UN take?

I hope every diplomatic avenue is explored before military action of any kind is deemed necessary.....but that takes two.

Nothing is black and white and there are no easy solutions.

There is an easy solution in that without proof, the US (and UN member states that do not actively resist) must be seen and treated as the aggressors in this conflict, when it arises. That means trial and conviction for the government heads in an international court for the Supreme Crime of waging a war of aggression.

Iran has been playing ball. They allowed inspection of all facilities, and even the IAEA reports only show that their activities are consistent with developing Nuclear Capability. (Which is kinda what you need for a power generation system.) There's really no wiggle room here. There either is proof of something, which warrants closer scrutiny, or there is not, which warrants equal access rights to nuclear technologies for peaceful purposes, under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (of which Iran is a signatory, and in full compliance with.)

The easy solution will in no case be inciting war with such a strategically placed nation Iran, because the Western world would be DESTROYED. We have powerful potential enemies, my friends, and they are not (solely) Iran... but there should be no mistaking that they will protect themselves when we try to force them under our influence.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Not a bad move by Iran. They should keep issuing warnings about closing the strait, but do nothing about it. The West will keep waiting for this provocation from Iran to start the fireworks, but will keep waiting.
Otherwise they may use their crooked brains to come up with another excuse.

Anyway the sanctions mean squat. They freeze Iran's assets and continue to import oil from Iran and refuse to pay in gold or silver and expect Iran to continue to export for another six months? That can mean only one thing: Iran's oil companies and Central Bank have no accounts (or no significant savings in them) with any banks under EU control and all payments for Iranian oil are made through banks in some non-EU country to which the sanctions won't apply anyway.

They are essentially giving non-Western importers of Iranian crude six months to negotiate crude purchase agreements with Iran.

If this whole stand-off with Iran is a charade to take the attention away from another important change they are effecting, a new international trading currency regime, and a justification for it when the time comes, everyone including Iran seems to be playing their roles to perfection. If that is true, pretty soon both the EU and US will have their currencies trashed in international markets against this to be introduced currency and Iran and concern over its non-existent nuclear weapons' programme will be the last thing on any Westerner's mind. Since the Iran stand-off and the US and EU economic sanctions will be blamed for precipitating it, all those screaming for Iranian blood may soon find themselves running for their lives when the rest come after them for their decisions and ruining the economies. Won't that be fun to watch

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Observor

Actually the sanctions give companies a 6 month extension to find alternate sources of oil. They cant buy Iranian oil after the 6 months. Its one of the reasons Saudi Arabia and several other oil producing countries have been discussing a ramp up in production to offset Iranian oil loss on the world market.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by ModernAcademia

They don't have the right to take that straight away from anybody. The US should just mind it's own business unless it does want to start a war, which is becoming more and more obvious.

I don't think they would be given a chance either, too many interests at play in that particular part of the world. They don't want the US to control another major oil throughput.

~Tenth

Iran has every right to control their territorial waters ... if these happen to be in the strait ... tough crap for us ....

to say that we are going to "worldize" the straits for the world is just wrong and it sets up a dangerous precident!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Even the IAEA doesn't believe what you are saying Corrupt.

They have found traces of highly enriched uranium. Even if they didn't, Iran is stockpiling what they have at the 20% that you find so acceptable. This reduces the amount of time to weapons grade down to weeks.

Even if you took everything they are doing at face value, no lies, it still adds up to weapons program.

The NPT allows up to 20% enrichment for nuclear energy so I'm not sure if I get your point.

It would be rather pointless not to maximize their efforts to the full lawful potential, yeah?

The UN inspectors are nothing more than a tool of the elite who say as they're told.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by Curio

Good post.

I have to agree. Iran is playing cat and mouse. They obviously aren't interested in halting their enriching. If this were about peaceful nuclear energy, they would have worked with us. Instead they rejected our offers and chose instead to do it themselves. We told them that we cannot allow that. Unfortunately, the whole world is going to suffer in some way because they're impotent.

We can't let a country that funds Hezbollah and Hamas get access to nukes, bottom line. It's worth plunging the world into WW3 because we have to stand up for what's right. A world that cannot stand up for what's right is no longer a world that knows freedom and prosperity. We have to fight evil where it festers and root it out. You can't look in the other direction as it grows.

In any other field of thought ignorance is never an excuse. Looking in the other direction is not how you handle a problem. When you go to court you cannot use ignorance as your defense.
edit on 23-1-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

I guess a country that uses false flags like the "Gulf of Tonkin; USS Liberty or Operation Northwoods"

is a just and righteous country! Welcome to Fanstyland!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I honestly at this point would be somewhat surprised if Iran actually took action to close the strait. They said they would close it upon the carrier group's return. Then they acknowledged the carrier group's presence as routine and something that has gone on for years. Now they're saying they have a legal right to close the strait.

Like the use of any eventual nuclear capability, it seems improbable to me that they would actually take any direct, overt, aggressive action. They close the strait = they get bombed. They use a nuclear weapon against Israel or anyone else = they get nuked.

They know this. I suspect/hope this is all saber rattling, as it has been for some time now. What it does accomplish that's substantive instead of rhetoric however, is a tidy profit both for them and for oil companies around the world who use their oil - including those here in the U.S. And as a result, we all suffer from rising oil and gas prices. Last week they said the presence of the carrier group was routine and acceptable. People expected prices to drop. Now, with this, they will likely rise again on speculation.

This is all purely my personal opinion, of course. Peace.
edit on 1/24/2012 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If US's policing the world is justifiable,then Iran's policing the region is much more justified by the same account. ....Iran is bigger, stronger ,richer and historically more influencial than any other country in the ME......now i am not suggesting that policing is necessarily a right thing to do.but whats good for the goose is good for the moose!? or something like that! isn't it?:....If there is not much the world can do about America's policing the earth,then there is not much they can do about Iran policing the region as well.....seems like we are living by jungle rules" eat or be eaten .....And guess who started the game!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join