It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Following New EU Sanctions, Iran Says Closing The Strait Of Hormuz Is Now Its Legal Right

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
it's Iran, can't say I didn't expect this from them.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
My oil tanker canal tunnel idea,or the idea of a pipeline as mentioned by HighMaintenance on page 1 of this thread are the logical,peaceful way to avert bloodshed,and to allow prosperity.
But no.
Evil narcissistic psychopaths will prevail over logic,and we will be looking at a global catastrophe.

I am going to write a letter to the UAE government about my canal idea.Screw it.I think its worth a shot.
Here's hoping I don't get assasinated for attempting to find a peaceful way out of this.
Peace,SS

yeah, but how long to build this "tunnel"?

and, are you sure there is a possibility to build a tunnel in that area that you specified?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Of course because appeasement has always worked well in the past.

Iran has no legal justification to shut down international waters, regardless of your personal opinion on the US.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seiva7

The UAE will never ruin the little land they have for a shipping canal when they have water front property like the straights.

The U.S. will make Iran's shoreline a glass parking lot before Iran can block the straights for any length of time, let alone that would cause them to be invaded by every Arab state in that area.

Iran has never had the nads to confront the U.S. head on, as in the USS America just sailed right through the straights and Iran said when asked about it, well that's normal for them to do that. Big talk and no action.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Im having a hard time understanding those who say Iran has a legal right to close the straits. doesn't the country on the opposite side of this water way have any say in this? isn't it their strait as well?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have an indirectly related question for you all to ponder.

What happens when Iran gets reintegrated into the World economy? What happens if they don't?

You've been teaching an economy sitting in the cradle to become a pirate force. While at the same time teaching the nations around them to be little lambs.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Hmm....

"Tunnel"? for a "super tanker"

"Pipeline..."

across the uae...with an offshore loading platform

edit on 23-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Iran has never been threatened with nuclear weapons.
Do you honestly think the USA would have to use nuclear weapons if it really wanted to invade Iran and it used all the conventional weaponry it has available?

It is not what i am saying and its not what this is all about. Its about the US and Israel dictating Iran on what they can and can not have. When the US and Israel them selves have WMD. And you with your personal opinion is supporting this scam. You are with your opinion instigating that the US/you have a right to dictate the policies on Iran. Because you are supporting the actions being used publicly.

And what deterrent is Iran having limited nuclear weaponry be to the USA, China, Russia, France or the UK?

Well the US wouldn't be this aggressive and would never threaten military options on Iran. The US wouldn't walk out on Iran at negotiations, they would have to negotiate like civilized nations.

However, how will Iran's neighbours feel if Iran has nuclear capability?

Why does it matter what others feel? I bet there is a lot of feelings going around when it comes to what the US is doing at the moment. But does the US care? Hell No. That is why they have to manufacture lies to get support, because they dont respect anyone.

Iran doesn't want nuclear weapons because the US has them, it wants them because it's own neighbours haven't, it wants to be the regional 'superpower' and dictate policy for the region and hold sway over their Sunni enemies.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Iran wanting to be a regional super power. If Iran wants nuclear weapons you/we would be the last to know why they would want them. Pure speculation on your part.

When it comes to enemies what are the US doing about theirs? What you say makes no moral sense when it comes to US politics.

If you don't like or disagree with anything I say then that is up to you, but you'll never stop me from voicing my opinion.

I am not trying to stop you. I am arguing against you.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by wonhunlo
They could just drop some underwater mines there and wouldn't have to fire on anybody.

There are already mines, the U.S. sent dophins and the dolphins will be dropping beacons on the mines then most likely the Navy will go disarm them
www.foxnews.com...

iran countered by releasing great whites and attaching poisoned sardines to the mines. it's not looking good for dolphin team 6.

edit on 23-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

that might happen and would be kind of the biggest screw you we could do to iran.....build a new canal (problay gaurded by usa) and then either divert or "accidentally" block the straits of Hormuz and make traffic bypass iranian waters and would pretty much cripple there economy(i would assume they make a good deal of money off that water way themselves )you sir(potentially madam) are a genius

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Thanks,but I didn't mean it as an idea to destroy Iran,rather an idea to diffuse tension and save some mass death.
I was thinking of the tunnel canal as more of a pressure release valve,letting the steam dissipate so thousands more soldiers and civilians can keep their limbs and lives.

But you have a point-maybe my idea would be co opted by tptb,and be corrupted into their agenda to put even more pressure on Iran.

Sheeeet,I shouldn't have mentioned the idea.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray
but seriously your peaceful option would be more likely to work and could provide potentaly hunderds if not thousands of jobs (and thus create a whole new class of skilled laborors) and teach some in the middle east that there are other ways of making money then solely based on oil (think about it what does the bulk of the ME do when the oil drys up and they have no resources to trade....)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I am with you bud, ive been wondering the exact same thing?(figured it must be impossible or somebody would have thought of it by now....)
Glad you posted it...was wondering if theres any chance at all,....? perhaps somebody with better idea if it is practcal or not, will post......
Why wouldnt it be also possible to pipe the stuff out to the open seas or a friendly nation past the starights?
Make Iran rather superfluous to whole deal wouldnt it?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Here you can see a map (a bad one) of this area, and the alternates to getting out petroleum product.

One of the major problems with any solutions in this entire area is that solutions are much easier in areas where the population can be used to construct and staff them, and the solutions are secure in that population.

You might realize that neither of these conditions exist in the Middle East.

Here's another map of the World, oriented differently and with proper proportioning on it. I'll look for one that can be drilled down on.

Many of the pipeline projects going on coming into Europe play a role in the total picture. Including Keystone, which you'll know isn't on this map since it is in North America.

A little primer. Chapter 2.

books.google.ca... #v=onepage&q=strategic%20value%20hormuz&f=false

(if anyone has or finds a good nautical depth map of the middle east, please link me.)
edit on 2012/1/23 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by wonhunlo
They could just drop some underwater mines there and wouldn't have to fire on anybody.

There are already mines, the U.S. sent dophins and the dolphins will be dropping beacons on the mines then most likely the Navy will go disarm them
www.foxnews.com...

The Iranians have around 100,000-130,000 naval mines (third largest stockpile in the world), a lot of them being modern. Think the dolphins will save them all? Remember, "thanks for all the fish!"

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

When the US and Israel them selves have WMD. And you with your personal opinion is supporting this scam. You are with your opinion instigating that the US/you have a right to dictate the policies on Iran. Because you are supporting the actions being used publicly.

What part of this don't you understand?

I have every right to offer my personal opinion and will continue to do so.
Do you think that the only people who have a right to express their opinion are those that oppose US policy?
Do you think that anyone who agrees with an aspect of US policy is incapable of free and independant thought?

I am not supporting any 'scam'.
I'm just afraid of the consequences of Iran gaining nuclear weapon capability.

The biggest 'scam' going is Iran denying it is developing nuclear weapons - as it has agreed to by signing the Non-Proliferation Treaty - yet continues to do so secretly.
And it's only reason to do so is so that it can bully and intimidate it's Sunni neighbours.
Otherwise they serve absolutely no practical purpose whatsoever.
Iran poses no threat to the US or any other nuclear power.
But it poses a hell of a threat to it's neighbours.

Well the US wouldn't be this aggressive and would never threaten military options on Iran. The US wouldn't walk out on Iran at negotiations, they would have to negotiate like civilized nations.

Bollocks.
The USA could obliterate Iran in minutes without anyone having to get out of an armchair if it so wished.
The amount of weaponry it has available makes anything Iran could possibly have pail into insignificance.
Iran is at least a generation away from having any inter-continental missiles and as such poses no direct threat to the USA.

That doesn't mean to say that I support the USA's childish and arrogant approach to Iran.
Of course it should negotiate and talk to Iran.
Of course it shouldn't walk out of the UN or veto everything relating to Iran it doesn't like.
But unfortunately the US can act like the arrogant and petulant child it is.

Why does it matter what others feel?

So you're really concerned for Iran and the injustice etc done to it by the USA and how it feels threatened by them but you don't give a toss about the countries near Iran feeling threatened by it?
Sure you see the blatant hypocrisy there don't you?
Or do you?

I'd suggest that it's more likely that Iran would use a nuclear weapon on one of it's neighbours than the US would use one on Iran.
But that is just opinion, let's hope we'll never find out.

I bet there is a lot of feelings going around when it comes to what the US is doing at the moment. But does the US care? Hell No. That is why they have to manufacture lies to get support, because they dont respect anyone.

Please don't think for one minute that I support all US foreign policy, or the UK's for that matter because I most definately do not.

I passionately oppose any military conflict whatsoever with Iran.

But it is not all US / UK's etc fault - Iran must shoulder a large proportion of the blame and responsibility for this.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Iran wanting to be a regional super power.

Then why vilify the USA for doing the same?

If Iran wants nuclear weapons you/we would be the last to know why they would want them. Pure speculation on your part.

Is it?
That's exactly what this is all about!

Iran refuses to explain the purpose for some of it's research centres etc and why it has weapon grade uranium and how much of it, contrary to what it has agreed to by signing to the Non Proliferation Treaty.
All it has to do is allow UN inspectors in to show that they are not for nuclear weapon development and all UN sanctions would be lifted.
Pretty straight forward.
But it refuses to comply to conditions and agreement it has signed up to.

When it comes to enemies what are the US doing about theirs? What you say makes no moral sense when it comes to US politics.

I have long since given up trying to understand US politics or foreign policy, I am just a simple Englishman who try's to judge each individual situation on it's own merits free from any bias.....I often fail as I'm only human.

I am not trying to stop you. I am arguing against you.

But you are saying that by expressing support for US policy I am promoting propoganda and so I shouldn't express my opinion.

I respect your reasoned debate.
I resent your implications that I shouldn't express my opinion.

I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make here.
edit on 23/1/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

All Iran has to do is allow UN Inspectors into check that it's nuclear development programme is indeed solely aimed at developing an internal nuclear power capability and not nuclear weapons.

Regardless of the spin our beloved media likes to put on it, Iran has had inspectors routinely visiting their facilities.

But while U.N. inspectors regularly monitor Iran's declared nuclear facilities, their movements are otherwise restricted, and the IAEA has complained for years of a lack of access to sites, equipment, documents and people relevant to its probe.

www.reuters.com...

The media finally had to admit that inspectors HAVE been there the whole time so they had to make it look like Iran isn't cooperating, just like they did with Saddam before the Iraq invasion. Some people are so eager to forget recent history.

Not only have the inspectors been there, there have been renewed efforts to resolve these current issues with a special conference set up for Jan 29-31.

The UN atomic agency confirmed Monday a high-level visit to Iran would take place from January 29-31 for talks on Tehran's contested nuclear drive.

The team from the International Atomic Energy Agency, which said last week the visit would take place in late January, will be led by chief inspector Herman Nackaerts and the Vienna-based body's number two, Rafael Grossi.

"The agency team is going to Iran in a constructive spirit, and we trust that Iran will work with us in that same spirit," IAEA director general Yukiya Amano said in a statement.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

I guess the West couldn't wait a few days huh

These POS warmongers are out of control, what makes it worse is that they're using the same old BS lies over and over again and no one is even noticing.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Iran didnt say Crap.
A senior law maker did.
I work with senior law makers.... they do not represent the country they represent the law firm.

Ill take notice when the government says this.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Won't work because if we're punished for punishing Iran, we'll respond with war. The world won't accept being punished when it's not the one that did something bad. You see what I'm saying?

We may lose more if we commit ourselves to war, but we'll keep our dignity and moral integrity.

If you don't stand up for what's right then you don't stand up for anything at all.
edit on 23-1-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I didn't know that Inspectors had been there regularly, but they haven't visited all the the necessary sites etc and seen the required documentation etc so Iran is still being very evasive.

I did know that great efforts are being made by the UN to reach some sort of amicable and diplomatic solution - and so they should.

By the way, I've never expressed support for sanctions - I've clearly stated my belief that the only people who will suffer will be the ordinary Iranian people and that is unacceptable.
I just understand everyone's unease at the prospect of Iran gaining nuclear weapon capability.

Again, there are no easy solutions to issues like this....and I for one have never supposed to have any of the answers let alone all of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join