It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Following New EU Sanctions, Iran Says Closing The Strait Of Hormuz Is Now Its Legal Right

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Following New EU Sanctions, Iran Says Closing The Strait Of Hormuz Is Now Its Legal Right

www.businessinsider.com

Following the formal adoption of an oil embargo against Iran by the European Union, a senior Tehranian lawmaker says his country now has every right to block all traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.theolympian.com
www.miamiherald.com

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Haven't seen this posted yet, so thought I'd share it. Seems to be more saber rattling from Iran, seems that we are getting closer and closer to a conflict, especially with the French and British also sending warships into the area

Apologies if its been posted before, mods feel free to remove if someone beat me to it.

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
The U.S. will eventually take control of it, it's too strategic
1/5th of the worlds oil goes through there and it's a chokepoint

way too strategic to not take control of it

It starts though, here we go!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

They don't have the right to take that straight away from anybody. The US should just mind it's own business unless it does want to start a war, which is becoming more and more obvious.

I don't think they would be given a chance either, too many interests at play in that particular part of the world. They don't want the US to control another major oil throughput.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Echotebarknwhale

They could just drop some underwater mines there and wouldn't have to fire on anybody. We could guess the Russians would tell them what to do and when. Putin would back their play.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think we've heard this song before.
Which dance did the US do last time this song played?

If I'm not mistaken, MORE aircraft carriers showed up?

What will happen this time?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonhunlo
They could just drop some underwater mines there and wouldn't have to fire on anybody.

There are already mines, the U.S. sent dophins and the dolphins will be dropping beacons on the mines then most likely the Navy will go disarm them
www.foxnews.com...

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The solution could be relatively simple and not need a war to resolve IMO.
Look at the a map of the strait:

Now,it may cost a hell of a lot in terms of money,but if a few countries chipped in they could,I believe,get the UAE interested in carving a canal and tunnel through the northern part of the country,around Ra's al Kaymah.The tunnel/canal would go through and under the Jabal Yibir mountain range,emerging on the North eastern side of the UAE.

The distance to be tunneled is approx 20 miles,so it is well within our technical abilities.Heres a better map which names the areas I mentioned:

This would make the UAE even more wealthy,would cut Iran out of the picture in terms of bullying/sabre rattling over the strait of hormuz,allowing Saudi/Kuwaiti/Iraqi oil to pass safely out of the gulf.

Yes it would cost billions to build-But what would you rather-spend billions on a tunnel/canal,and achieve stability and wealth in the area-Or more carnage,which will still cost billions and de stabilize the region further,possibly leading to a wider,even global conflict,and causing yet more economic woes for the world?

I know which I would aim for,and its not more war.

I am quite pleased with this idea,what do you folks think about it?
Is it viable?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I doubt Iran will close the strait before July when the shipment will stop, only because of the EU embargo. But it is highly possible other events play a role meanwhile. Such as (un)expected Israeli attack.

Also follow the Russian announcement on 26th about the downed Phobos. It will mark a major turn in relations with USA should Russia officially accuse HAARP of downing the probe. If so, it is logically to expect counter measures. All that will pour oil on the Middle East conflict, or vice versus.

It is quite possible WW3 stage to develop in front of our eyes and to explode anytime in the next 2-3 months. It will be short but most intense in history. The problem is Russia cannot have a small war with USA, or to defend Iran or Syria only. It is further complicated by those countries' reluctance to accept some international supervision. A dead end scenario - the WW3 scenario. Poor humanity!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I've also been thinking along these lines but instead of a canal/tunnel just a pipeline, pump the oil across, would be even cheaper and no need for war. But we all know this is not just about the the straight or the oil. Those pesky Rothschilds want their bank in Iran and the end will justify the means.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Consider this for a moment, just a thought.

What if Iran, quite possibly, is the last stand against a mass evil that has taken over the west, and almost everywhere but a few countries(Libya being one of them actually). What if they were the last stand against the international banking cartel, the elite families, the economic hitmen. The evil that we don't think about.

Just a thought. We claim they are evil. But in reality, its the people who run us that are evil, and are making these decisions based on what they want, not what we want or need.

Just a thought.

It would make too much sense to do something so expensive that doesn't require war,
No profit in that.
edit on 23/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Anything that would prevent war and loss of life would be good in my book.
But I genuinely think it's agood idea.
Obviously I don't know anything about the engineering feasability of it all etc but I'm sure in this day and age it would be possible.
As for the cost - surely the benefits far outweigh whatever it must be.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like that would be in line with TPTB agenda..

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
More posturing from Iran...

What needs to happen
is everyone just goes in
takes out the nuke facts
get the job done.
Badda bing badda boom.
There is no legal right to close
a straight in international waters
Iran is just beating the war drum.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding of maritime law is that they cant close the strait. Although I understand this particular strait is sort of an exceptional case in maritime law (due to how narrow it is).

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Is the strait in "international waters?"

Not according to some-Remember a while back when some Iranian speedboats had pinched some american soldiers?

Let’s repeat that: there are no international waters in the Straits of Hormuz.
The U.S. ships were in Iranian territorial waters exercising the “right of transit passage” afforded to them in international law by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) which the United States has signed but which Congress has yet to ratify.
This is why in the video of the incident, a U.S. naval officer can be heard saying, “I am engaged in transit passage in accordance with international law.”

wmmbb.wordpress.com...

Not sure how accurate the above quote is,but it does raise the question about the strait being in international waters or not.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by wonhunlo

They could just drop some underwater mines there and wouldn't have to fire on anybody. We could guess the Russians would tell them what to do and when. Putin would back their play.

nah my theory is they're going to sacrifice some of their naval vessels
and clog up the straights that way.
mines , booby traps, and long range attacks will slow cleanup efforts, to molasses in winter.

it all depends on how close the economic system is to implosion.
edit on 23-1-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The US should just mind it's own business unless it does want to start a war, which is becoming more and more obvious.
Seems to me if the EU wants to create an embargo, it should be up to them to enforce it.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I think it is a great proposal. However, not enough death involved to keep some of our current politicians happy - so lets just stop bringing ideas like this up, got it?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Prepare for war.

second line

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Seems to me if the EU wants to create an embargo, it should be up to them to enforce it.

The oil embargo is in accordance with UN resolutions.
The UK and France are supplying warships to enforce the embargo.

The US has had a trade embargo in place against Iran since 1995.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join