It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US-infantry, any good?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu

What other military in the world has all of its troops, from cooks to generals, qualifying annually with their service rifle, firing on 36" profile targets from 500 yards.

yeah quite impressive but what other force trains all its marines to be comando's from the lowest grunt to the highest cook and the highest paper pusher?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I disagree. I think that the military should'nt be given any training in this sort of thing at all, and should only be trained to be as lethal as possible. I do, however, think that a different branch of the military should be created, to deal with those sorts of situations, trained in those sorts of tactics, trained to interact with the public and deal with tactical situations specific to urban environments. But if the actual military is being sent in, they should be sent for murder/death/kill and do that until removed; what else are they there for anyways?

dude,no offence but thats kinda sadistic.
the army doesnt JUST kill.
they are there to kill the enemy and then help with general stuff. i mean remember the RN crews doing the firemans jobs.
also i would say a soldier is perfect for cop buisness. they know the drills and the techniques needed not to kill ,the object of a bullet is not to kill but wound, it takes 2 men to drag a wounded man off the battle field and one medic to help him so the enemy is down by 4 men, there fore reducing the number of enemy troops in combat.
yeah thats the general role of an officer,MP,public relations and basic army medical core.
they are there to serve thier country , and if thier country says protect these people they will.
dlta choas, one wee tiny wee coment.
"The Infantry of the United States is the best in the world"
please name to me one "infantry man" aka not an SF soldier a general duties infantry man, it can be marine or army . that has the same fitness as a navy seal?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by D
I wouldn't want to be in the Russian Army, definitely the toughest of any army.

This was maybe true during Cold War, but todays russian army is deffinitely not in good shape. I'm not talking about Spetznatz or other special units, but the regular russian army consists of umotivated underequipped and not especially good trained conscripts. They have huge problems with corruption and abuse (and of course lack of money).

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos
And tell me. Just how many soldiers do you know personally, anyway?

None from America, but one of my friends joind the SAS, he left last year after 6 years. He saw action in E Timor and Afghanistan, didn't make it to Iraq.
However I have seen many idiots being interviewed on tv in Iraq, they just sound stupid and their grammar is appalling.

And as for the last thing, I was a soldier for 7 years, and I remain a soldier to this day. While I served, I met some of the most intelligent, creative, and enigmatic personalities that I believe I ever will. I think Ranger spidergooch can attest to that. Moreover, a 19 year old who has served for a year in the military is worlds beyond a civilian 19 year old in terms of common sense, maturity, and self-discipline.

As for me, I dropped out at 17. And from what you've show me, high school didn't really help you much.

Mate keep on kidding yourself. I finished school at 17 and went on to university where I completed my degree by the time I was 20. I am now a successful entrepreneur, enjoying the money I make.
It's obvious you didn't finish school, drop out says it all. So can you afford to rent your own trailer yet ?
Let's face it you just don't have the brains to do anything else. I didn't have to be taught common sense maturity and self discipline it come naturally otherwise I wouldn't be the success I am today.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by mad scientist]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

None from America, but one of my friends joind the SAS, he left last year after 6 years.

umm your mate told you about joining the SAS?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

None from America, but one of my friends joind the SAS, he left last year after 6 years.

umm your mate told you about joining the SAS?

No he joined the Australian Army in 1994 and the SAS a few years later. He still lives near the barracks at Swanbourne. He's left now as he was getting too old and was looking to do something else in civilian life. He was extremely self disciplined even at school where he was the highest ranking cadet.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
You can't be serious you pretentious fool. Trailer? How have you come to presume so much about me?

And I thank you for the direct attack on my person. You have just proven yourself in your lack of temperance. I would suggest that you do not make it your aim to insult others so directly as this in the future, as one may take issue with it. It is in direct contravention of the terms and policies of the site.

Defending ATS. Right.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

You can't be serious you pretentious fool. Trailer? How have you come to presume so much about me?

I just read your posts, that's all I have to go on. How long did it take you to look up the spelling of pretentious ?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
now now children!
but seriosly sorry man the squad that the CNN crew interviewed must of been THAT squad that every company has.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
How about everyone avoid getting personal and making insults?

Stay on the topic of the thread.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!

nah juss kiddin, seriously though, many of the military forces you are speaking of are on the same side and rely on support from other countries fighting forces.. without the support of the Australians and French during Vietnam, the Americans soldiers could have found their time there even more difficult than was experienced.. (if that were possible)...

but given the opportunity to make a guess at the best Army, I would have to choose... USA... only because the size of the country allows a greater variety of people to enlist compared to smaller countries... but this is my opinion of the potentially best Army soldier... an Army is only going to be as good as it's commanders...

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I would have to say the US has the best infantry, not including the spec ops forces. I just dont think there is any other country with the size, money, technology and amount of training as the US infantry has, maybe England? China has a numerically HUGE infantry force, but as far as being as "good", effcient, and effective as the US I don't think so.

I have always heard that the Ghurkha soldiers are no joke. They believe its better to die than be a coward
and all kinds of other crazy stuff. I wouldn't want to fight them on the ground.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The US infantry is on par with any other developed country.....no better and no worse.

"So does the US-army rely mainly on the airweapon to gain success in combat situations?"

No like every other country the US must rely on its allies to gain success. Too bad we lost most of those going into Iraq. But rest assured if a legitimate threat is faced the UN and Nato will come to the party and easily nullify the threat. Iraq is a joke in the rest of the world's eyes so no point them helping out.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
US soldiers aren't the best ambassadors, there basically "grunts" who don't really know how to act to civvies in foreign nations. Just giving them a Hershey bar after knocking a civilians door down and threatening their family at gunpoint then searching their house isn't the way to act.

I think US soldiers need to be taught better communication and diplomatic skills. This would go a long way.

thanks,
drfunk

There has never been a more ignorant statement to appear in print. The US fighting forces need no verbal defense. They stand on their own merits. The Marines invented civic action during the small wars of Latin America and the Caribbean of the 20's and 30's.

No amount of keyboard banging and or flaming can say more than the US military can say for itself in a single action.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by boosted
I would have to say the US has the best infantry, not including the spec ops forces. I just dont think there is any other country with the size, money, technology and amount of training as the US infantry has, maybe England? China has a numerically HUGE infantry force, but as far as being as "good", effcient, and effective as the US I don't think so.

I have always heard that the Ghurkha soldiers are no joke. They believe its better to die than be a coward
and all kinds of other crazy stuff. I wouldn't want to fight them on the ground.

one thing buddy there is no such thing as the england marine core. or netheir is england a seperate country.
ghurkha's are crazy,naturaly fit from liveing so high. yes they believe it better to die than to be a coward. they held in the same regard as the SAS. they do thier own stuff and the SAS stuff if they went for the SBS selection i would not be suprised if they led the candidates on the course.
also we can match you for training and tech for sure.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
one thing buddy there is no such thing as the england marine core. or netheir is england a seperate country.

I think this might be the "england marine core" boosted was speaking of:

www.royal-navy.mod.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.combat-online.com...

www.fact-index.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH FOR FKING SAKE ITS THE ROYAL MARINE COMANDO'S NOT THE ROYAL ENGLISH MARINE COMANDO'S!
THEY ARE FROM THE UK NOT ENGLAND FROM ALL OVER IT!
GET THIS ENGLISH ONLY MENTALILTY OUT OF YOUR AMERICAN HEADS!

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
"The Royal Marines are the United Kingdom's amphibious forces and a component of their Rapid Reaction Force"
pay close attention to the UK part
this is from 2 diffrent sources.
"The Royal Marines are the UK�s �go anywhere� amphibious forces and a key component of the government�s Rapid Reaction Force."
from the RN site which the RMC is a detachment of

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

[

That is a pretty offensive Avatar you have there. Several of those men in that picture were killed shortly after that photograph was taken. The photographer was killed as well. They died defending your right to express your opinion and you piss on that contribution. Show a little respect by choosing something different.

Soldiers in Mount Surabachi Photo

[edit on 15-9-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Moreover, a 19 year old who has served for a year in the military is worlds beyond a civilian 19 year old in terms of common sense, maturity, and self-discipline.

As for me, I dropped out at 17. And from what you've show me, high school didn't really help you much.

Insulted,
Deltachaos

thats complete BS..i know 19 yr olds who have far more HUMANITY/common sense/disipline and maturity than a lot of soldiers i know
what u can get from the military is a way to de-humanize the enemy(and to drink loads...brits will know this)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join