It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Iran sanctions: Ministers adopt Iran oil imports ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

EU Iran sanctions: Ministers adopt Iran oil imports ban

www.bbc.co.uk

EU Iran sanctions: Ministers adopt Iran oil imports ban;
European Union foreign ministers have formally adopted an oil embargo against Iran over its nuclear programme.

The sanctions involve an immediate ban on all new oil contracts with Iran, while existing contracts will be honoured until 1 July.

Tehran denies that it is trying to develop nuclear weapons and says talks and not sanctions are the only way to resolve the dispute.

The EU currently buys about 20% of Iran's oil exports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Let's see if Iran is all bark, on the UK Sky News channel it says on the breaking news ticker along the bottom that a senior Iranian official expects Iran to close the strait!

Plus 3 days ago in the UK;
www.bbc.co.uk...

Iran's Press TV loses UK licence;
Iranian news network Press TV has had its licence revoked by the media regulator Ofcom and will no longer be allowed to broadcast in the UK.

A precursor to a strike? Wouldn't want random pictures of war all over UK screens!

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Do what is necessary Iran.
The United States, Britain, and Israel are international war criminals.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...
Is a US-Iran maritime clash inevitable?

Another related BBC news report from 10th Jan talks about a clash;

Simon Henderson is more sceptical about Iran's naval capabilities.

"These tactics are probably over-rated," he said. "The US Navy has been preparing for the next confrontation with Iran for years - and has no intention of losing it."

He is also sceptical that this would be a long drawn-out conflict.

"If there is a clash, the US will likely go in for over-kill so the chances of sporadic further clashes are very small."

Overall though, most experts I spoke to were uncertain that Iran, despite all the rhetoric, would seek to try to close the Strait of Hormuz in the current circumstances.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I don't think we are going to see a conflict just yet, and if we do it's going to be Israel who strikes first.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Bear in mind though that all the leaders are voted into office with the expectation of their people to lower their cost of living and fix their economy.

While I don't agree with war it is inevitable because if these leaders don't secure their economy then the next elected officials will promise to do so etc.

Everyone inadvertently wants the war and demands action from their leaders. Whether this is their only option to stabilise the economy I don't know but history suggests that it is the most successful option and with only a short period in office I don't really believe any elected official wants their successor to steal the glory!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Iran 'definitely' closing Strait of Hormuz over EU oil embargo

Tensions in the Gulf could reach a breaking point as a senior Iranian official said Iran would “definitely” close the Strait of Hormuz if an EU oil embargo disrupted the export of crude oil, the semi-official Fars news agency reports

And so it starts

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I expect Iran will just sell off their surplus oil to China.
And we will have to pay double for our fuel within a few weeks.
Great.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I wonder if Russia or China will be releasing any statements soon!

Their statement could swing Iran's next action to either back down or block the strait

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by hey1212

Thats what I am thinking too-If Russia or China offer to buy up the oil,maybe that would calm the Iranians down enough to leave the strait open.
Of course,Russia and China may wish to see the US get involved in another war,so they may not offer to buy the oil.
Hmm.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hey1212

Russias response

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday that Moscow had “quite a steadfast hope” that the talks on the Iranian nuclear problem could resume “in the nearest future.”

Unilateral sanctions, he said, “do not help” when trying to overcome the Iranian nuclear deadlock.

Source

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hithe Merinos
reply to post by hey1212

Russias response

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday that Moscow had “quite a steadfast hope” that the talks on the Iranian nuclear problem could resume “in the nearest future.”

Unilateral sanctions, he said, “do not help” when trying to overcome the Iranian nuclear deadlock.

Source

Good work!

It's a bit diplomatic, that might not be what there telling Iran. I read an unconfirmed report that Russia has a lot of scientists in Iran. To check for leaks of an attack at a higher level it would be worth keeping an eye on countries advising civilians to leave.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I just had an idea,which I posted in this other thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
The solution could be relatively simple and not need a war to resolve IMO.
Look at the a map of the strait:

Now,it may cost a hell of a lot in terms of money,but if a few countries chipped in they could,I believe,get the UAE interested in carving a canal and tunnel through the northern part of the country,around Ra's al Kaymah.The tunnel/canal would go through and under the Jabal Yibir mountain range,emerging on the North eastern side of the UAE.

The distance to be tunneled is approx 20 miles,so it is well within our technical abilities.Heres a better map which names the areas I mentioned:

This would make the UAE even more wealthy,would cut Iran out of the picture in terms of bullying/sabre rattling over the strait of hormuz,allowing Saudi/Kuwaiti/Iraqi oil to pass safely out of the gulf.

Yes it would cost billions to build-But what would you rather-spend billions on a tunnel/canal,and achieve stability and wealth in the area-Or more carnage,which will still cost billions and de stabilize the region further,possibly leading to a wider,even global conflict,and causing yet more economic woes for the world?

I know which I would aim for,and its not more war.

I am quite pleased with this idea,what do you folks think about it?
Is it viable?

Any good as a possible solution?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Yea good idea, except for the villages and people who may get forced from their land!

It would be better than a war though!

top topics

join