It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran lawmaker repeats threat to close Hormuz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Just a couple days ago the Iranians were downplaying previous threats:

After threats, Iran plays down US naval moves

Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps said on Saturday it considered the likely return of U.S. warships to the Gulf part of routine activity, backing away from previous warnings to Washington not to re-enter the area.

The statement may be seen as an effort to reduce tensions after Washington said it would respond if Iran made good on a threat to block the Strait of Hormuz - the vital shipping lane for oil exports from the Gulf.

"U.S. warships and military forces have been in the Persian Gulf and the Middle East region for many years and their decision in relation to the dispatch of a new warship is not a new issue and it should be interpreted as part of their permanent presence," Revolutionary Guard Deputy Commander Hossein Salami told the official IRNA news agency.

Well, today they're back to saber rattling:

Iran lawmaker repeats threat to close Hormuz

"If any disruption happens regarding the sale of Iranian oil, the Strait of Hormuz will definitely be closed," Mohammad Kossari, deputy head of parliament's foreign affairs and national security committee, told the semi-official Fars news agency.

Here is another source: www.jpost.com...

I wish both sides would just shut up.

My opinion is that Iran is being unfairly targeted and demonized which is causing them to act like this. I can't say I blame them tough, if I had warmongering psychopaths constantly lying to the whole world with the intention of bombing my country I would also have frequent outbursts.

They are probably doing this to avoid looking weak but I believe there comes a point where you just don't say certain things. I think they have done a great job of keeping their composure while international agencies pull every dirty trick in the book but some of these statements they're releasing just won't help them on the world stage.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
If the USSA and european countries did not want the strait to be shut down, dont sanction Iran, simples. It is like telling your neighbor that he cant do business with anyone and then he threatens to shut down his street in response. You dont want to pay 20 dollars a gallon? Simple, dont sanction Iran.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
20 Dollars a gallon

Scaremongering much?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

A lot of people who support any type of action on Iran are failing to realize the economic troubles it will cause at home. When fuel goes up, do does the price of everything else, especially in the winter. This story has developed since I first authored the thread. The sanctions have been confirmed and Iran does not seem very pleased. I hope everyone tanked up yesterday

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Its a good think live where I work, ie walking distance lolz, and dont have to pay a lot for fuel, ill just keep a tank full, and the grocery store is just a few miles down the road hehe

join