It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to sell Syria 36 warplanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
This is totally disgusting from Russia... protecting their little ally so they can keep their Tartus naval base... doesn't matter how many civilians get killed with the weapons they supply, it's business! Sick.

Russia to Sell 36 Yak-130 Jets to Syria

Russia and Syria have signed a $550-million contract on the delivery of 36 Yakovlev Yak-130 Mitten combat trainer, the Kommersant daily quoted on Monday a source close to Russia’s state arms exporter Rosoboronexport as saying.

Under the deal struck in late December, the jets are to be supplied to Syria once Damascus makes a prepayment, the source said.

A source in the aircraft production industry told the newspaper the aircraft construction company Irkut is able to produce the jets for Syria in a relatively short time.

As for the weapons on these airplanes :
Yakovlev Yak-130

The Yakovlev Yak-130 (NATO reporting name: Mitten[4]) is a subsonic two-seat advanced jet trainer/light attack aircraft or lead-in fighter trainer (LIFT) developed by the Yakovlev design bureau.

It can also perform light-attack and reconnaissance duties, carrying a combat load of 3,000 kg.

Seems to me even if it's a light attack aircraft, it's quite capable.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I wonder if NATO will start a no fly zone as soon as the first combat flight takes off. Maybe this could be the catalyst the bosses want for their war. Why would Syria lose the political advantage they could squeeze out another 4 months of observers going through the area.

And if Russia is selling why didn't Syria buy some new Migs. Some of those would have been better for them. Unless they know Iran will send their fighters in to the battle with NATO war planes.

It really is a curious development

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Personally i don't believe much of the hype surrounding Syria.

The only activity is occurring in and around the city of Homs.

The vast majority of Syrians are not rebelling at all.

That said, Syria finds itself suddenly the target of it's Arab neighbors, i see no problem with Russia selling them Weapons to defend themselves from external aggression.

Saudi Arabia just bought several billion dollars worth of aircraft from both the US and UK/EU, and they DO oppress their population.

Cosmic..

new topics

join