It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The IQuestion.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Who mentioned Mensa? EQ = common sense. You are off on some tangent are you sure you are on the right website? You sound very angry...jealous, paranoid someone might be smarter than you? Chillout...I only posted what I read, take it up with the author. Hurling insults at everyone= very low EQ.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
The "I" or self is the observer of the ego.

When you say "I want a new Mercedes" its not 'you' saying it. Its your ego, driven by social cues and its own need to be identified somehow with that society.

Now if you say " I want a new Mercedes" and then you mentally take a step back and observe where that 'want for a new Mercedes' came from. THAT is the I or self.

If anyone is interested in the true nature of the ego and how to recognize and rid the control it has over your life, please read the book "A New Earth" by arthur Eckhart Tolle.

i have a different perspective on the opposition between the ego and the self

ego is the free will possession
self is the free will realization

like here in the example you gave for instance, i want a mercedes, the ego is wht you become by bying a mercedes

the self is what you become by realizing an objective shape of your means
like for example, understanding that your will for such car is your need for positive comfort constant benefit in your life, that makes you realize smthg of that mean like moving to another building or changing your friends or pay urself a nice trip or just relax and b a source of constant positive raffine perspective, any of those contribute to make urself being for that time

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

Who mentioned Mensa? EQ = common sense. You are off on some tangent are you sure you are on the right website? You sound very angry...jealous, paranoid someone might be smarter than you? Chillout...I only posted what I read, take it up with the author. Hurling insults at everyone= very low EQ.

I insulted you?

Imagine that. Sorry if it came across like that, but unless you're the writer of that book, then I don't know how my opinion of that notion (EQ) was an insult. I've been insulted my whole life over the issue of IQ, and I guess I do get protective/defensive when one of these threads pops up and slaps that sort of differentiation as being an ego-centric construct. There are very beautiful people who get socked around over not being able to mask their intelligence, and to be honest, the jackasses who sock them around are brittle little children who can't get past the issue of feeling inferior to these people. No one who's gifted is looking for anyone to fawn over them. They just want to be allowed to feel like they belong to the human race and are welcome within the fold. Most of the time they aren't given that one small break, and some don't fare very well as a result.

I'm not jealous of you or of anyone. I was lost in an ADD (inattentive) ether, hung over and physically ill after being blasted on a two day bender when I took a 6 hour (12 - 30 minute differing sections) MENSA test in February of 1982 as a goof, and I scored in the top 0.8 percentile, so I have no reason to be either paranoid or jealous. I'm just very protective of those people who haven't been able to manage the bitch of having a brain that separates them from the rest of you. They aren't "my people" or anything like that, but I hate watching people dismiss them as being ego-centric and full of themselves in the same way that I hate the slagging of any people who haven't brought it onto themselves through their actions or behavior.

I'm a bitch when it comes to a lot of things, so it's nothing that's ever personal when I upset people. In fact, I rarely even have the poster I'm reply to in mind when I post a reply. Just the notion being examined.
edit on 1/23/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Thanks for all of your views on IQ, all in all its given many insights in to the what is lacking in IQ which is what I was hoping for. IQ continues, but at the same time many other aspects show their value and face. One is implanted and many others are spontaneous.So as we grow, the more able we are to see what is valuable and what is not.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

And I wasn't insulting anyone...I was discussing this thread with the op and the others that were interested....you seem not to be interested in the actual discussion, just insults. I have nothing against high IQ, I was stating in fact that I am one of the ones who most would say wasted what god gave them. I am a success in my own mind because I raised my family as I hoped I would. I decided to keep my IQ score to myself and succeed in other ways. You say you are not interested in how smart you are, but you insult others who wish to discuss IQ on a thread. If you are so uninterested then why bother with us?
edit on 23-1-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)
Please don't feel obligated to answer...I have enough insight into your mind, I do not wish for anymore. Good day.
edit on 23-1-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ancientthunder

Thanks for all of your views on IQ, all in all its given many insights in to the what is lacking in IQ which is what I was hoping for. IQ continues, but at the same time many other aspects show their value and face. One is implanted and many others are spontaneous.So as we grow, the more able we are to see what is valuable and what is not.

I guess that we all have our weaknesses and strengths, and while it may seem (when one reads the replies to the stuff I post on this subject) that I'm either jealous of or feeling superior to others, what I'm really trying to point out is that gifted people generally are the primary victims of their racing brains, and have no reason to feel superior to anyone. There's no ego-blasting involved in the fact of managing the issues that raging intellect generally inflict on the owners of these brains. My own effed-up brain has done me in repeatedly throughout my life, and no one who's been through decades of disasters as a result of the way that they process perception could ever see that aspect of themselves as being something to lord over anyone else. I made the mistake of telling a couple friends about how that test went, and as a result I never even joined MENSA and I never brought it up again. People hate anyone who even suggests such a thing as being part of that slice of humanity. They appreciate and respect felons more.

I once read about this kid who had a 15" prick and wasn't physically large enough - in the rest of his body - to supply enough blood for the damn thing to .... well, to have it work right (if you catch my drift). In fact, when he'd get worked up (being a teenager and all that) the loss of blood from the rest of him would make him dizzy and lose feeling in his hands. The kid was ready to off himself over it. And you'd think the guy was bragging about his size, but the truth is that he was being screwed over by the kind of issue that most guys would kill to have to deal with. No ego there. Just a kid who wishes he could be anyone else most of the time.

Maybe it's not the same sort of thing, but it's not that different if you compare the impact on the natural, visceral competitive natures of most people. I don't know, maybe I should've just let the kids in this thread depict anyone who's discovered that they've got a high IQ as being rigid cyborgs or ego maniacs. It's not like anyone really rethinks their views as a result of any of these threads anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
IQ is simply a means of operationalizing subjective variables into quantifiable measurements. Such a limited measurement is bound to reflect only a small fraction of what 'intelligence' really is (imo !)
edit on 25-1-2012 by TruthIncarnate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Dont admire IQ. I can teach you pattern recognition in 1 week, it is a skill.
It is important, but nothing to be admired. It is something to be learned if you are so inclined.

What? IQ is FAR more than just pattern recognition. Nowadays, a real IQ test is a comprehensive analysis of one's entire cognitive functioning. That's short-term memory, long-term memory, ability to translate shortterm into longterm memory, mathematics, cognitive reasoning, spatial reasoning, ALL in addition to pattern recognition.

The entire OP was just opinion, opinion, opinion. Truth is, there IS a link between musical prodigies and genius. Mathematics and music share a special relationship.

IQ is not everything, but it is not something to belittle either. Intelligence is something sorely lacking in this world... it seems like shooting yourself in the foot by claiming it's not important!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

yes intelligence is a fundamental atrribute to what exist, but existence is not an attribute to what is fundamental

existence is a result not an end, existence is a fact but in absolute objectivity always relative free

when absolute freedom is the only true ground reference for any certain superior value reality, then intelligence do not belong to values realm, when intelligence is limited to relative free dimensions so never existing in true free grounds

this is proven by our world existence which revealed the inferior character of intelligence out of its full objective realizations ends

my guess about the reason to such evil character freedom end to all intelligence realities, is the confusion of result concept with free living ends

result by definition is never the reason value nor its source

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely

yes intelligence is a fundamental atrribute to what exist, but existence is not an attribute to what is fundamental

existence is a result not an end, existence is a fact but in absolute objectivity always relative free

when absolute freedom is the only true ground reference for any certain superior value reality, then intelligence do not belong to values realm, when intelligence is limited to relative free dimensions so never existing in true free grounds

this is proven by our world existence which revealed the inferior character of intelligence out of its full objective realizations ends

my guess about the reason to such evil character freedom end to all intelligence realities, is the confusion of result concept with free living ends

result by definition is never the reason value nor its source

Yes, Intellect and existence are both results, but as results, both are definitive and determinable. Existence can be categorized in terms of being state, and Intellect can be categorized in terms of relative intelligence. Since there are only two categories that define the state of being of an existent quantity (relative and absolute), the assignment is pretty straightforward. Intellect (and the process that brings Intellect into being by way of the processing and configuration of perception and residual information) is much harder to define, since perception alone is a very unique and insular quality that sentient beings possess as a malleable, affectable result-centric capacity.

To be honest, there's such a profound divide between the relative "reason value" (as you have coined the phrase) of Intellect and Existence, it seems more responsible to not even compare the two in terms of the validity of any process of definitive categorization. And yet, both obviously possess specific categoric delineations within themselves (as unique and defineable existential result-centric quantities). And while the whole of reality is not impacted by the categorical determination of Intellect (and the relative intelligence that affects the development of Intellect - being the result that it is), the corporeal human being (as well as the sentient Intellect-centric being that results) is impacted by the quality of its own Intellect and whatever it is that directly affects its generation.

We - you and me and everyone reading this post - are corporeal human beings. You'll need to accept that as the truth regardless of who or what it is that is defining reality for you if you are to ever get a true handle on reality as it relates to your own existence. There are specific limitations that exist for corporeal human beings, and I don't care what metaphysical self-help author you've embraced, the fact is that we're all limited in the same fundamental ways, with varying degrees of impact per individual - ranging from extremely limited to profoundly limited. One of those limitations is the processing of perception into residual information, and the storage/access and accurate application of that residual information when the time comes for the brain to configure new dynamic data clusters (Intellect bursts) in its ongoing effort of managing the survival of the corporeal human being itself. The capacity of the brain to perform this very complex process successfully is what intelligence - the term itself - refers to.

Yes, there are all sorts of complicated variables that affect this process besides the quickness of the brain involved in the process, and many fast thinkers are no more capable than serial ruminators when it comes to successfully managing the generation of Intellect. But as one poster pointed out, IQ involves a lot more than pattern recognition. The most important capacity that it measures is the flexibility of the brain's processing system to successfully manage the dynamic arena that is responsive problem solving - the very essence of corporeal survival. In short, if you can't immediately learn from the experience of Question #1 on an IQ test, and successfully apply what you just learned to Question #2 of that same test (and within seconds) then you probably won't score very high on that test. In this manner (and in that sense) your capacity for dynamic survival response is being tested by the questions themselves, and how well you do is a fairly accurate measure of how well your Intellect generating system works as the corporeal survival enterprise that it is and was originally developed to be.

Of course, wisdom is the result target, but if the brain can't effectively learn, then forget about wisdom as a result "reason value". Intelligence is the measure of a brain's ability to learn, and that's important to understand about what intelligence is. So far, all we have are IQ tests to objectively measure it.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

your post is very interesting to read bc it is intelligent and free so revealing the true sense of one existence that perfectly join in one the values of relative and absolute through objective logics value abstraction which is exclusive to truth concept that justify right existence terms

but

regarding intelligence ways of being, i think that limitation of existing individuals to one concept application that work proved being to zero realm so as nonexistence, then individuals cannot get any supports from objective existence justification facts

when your brain and your physical state free sense is clearly existing to u as a true conscious one, then u cant rely on justifying your true individual existence while disregarding else absolute objective existence present effect on yours
i mean when you must accept what you are through regarding best terms that work constant right, than you should accept that all else do the same for them, so objectively you would be living that reality with else and not what you were meaning doing, since if yourself existence is constant only of u and ur brain but in true objective terms urself existence is an individuality among infinite others same
then there must b a better concept of being then one positive constancy

that is why i think that the best way of being in intelligence terms is through separating what is relative from what is absolutely objective
so the individual will be only the relative one so it must be what no else nor other is constantly
and reality of the individual will be through the concept of objective absolute facts terms logics ends

you will end doing what is never to what u r, but that is the best way of dealing with else concept and fact reality in base of constant right existence terms

im not very good in justifying a process in relative terms of its application dimensions but let me try to explain better myself here

when u cant b true so constant right but through what you are constantly through, then what you are not constantly through would be dealt with in nonexistence terms or lies that open a wide gate to evil ways and rights abuse from whatever powerful wills that mean to profit from the lack of objective true relations in possessing a whole ground made of right individuals in pretending that it has the credit for making it work
which is responsable of fundamental contradiction we witness as beings, that we suffer from the more we are giving the efforts to stay in being right

the problem in truth objectively is that freedom is the exclusive reference of positive one so true existence above zero reference to nonexistence facts
so freedom is the one while one is always the free, so there cant b true individualities existing when one freedom has a position out that can mean to possess objective ground, what exist will be according to that freedom reality while individualities will be forced to deal through constant powers terms that deny fundamentally what they are doing right, as if they do not exist at all

so my point is to protect our individual existence we should face the objectivity of else fact to deal with in right absolute terms while the conscious will be the individual relative existence to all so out of all more, in meaning to be closest possible to true sense of individual free one, so to protect ur existence u should mean freedom from both sides existing back and forward
back would protect yourself from any wrong else intrusion as a reference independant of what u r truly
forward would protect your conscious moves activities in dealing with all right, from being existing objectively truly too, that should support the logics of present individual existence to be objectively true too, which should logically mean that nothing freedom reference to an objective dimension of different ones realities will stop being absolute one reference and also evil powerful oness life will stop being that absolute reference that justify how what is relatively is not absolutely objective in justifying that fact being by rights abuse and absolute free liars wills

anyways it is obvious that the concept of else is what justify our individual existence the most as it is, so we should at least know better in objective terms what is else in concept and facts realities to what we are else to too

and also, intelligence is very good but, it cant stay individual, if u r then i am too but then the existence that include u and me is not the intelligence that we follow for our individualities even if we agree absolutely about

one is easy concept to justify existence through but it is hell, there cant b objectively but zero or infinite evil existence that keep living to b used as the only justification possible to wat exist relatively

two is already a very complex concept objective existence, when two are both free

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

Objective reality is something that probably doesn't even exist, if you dive into quantum mechanics. Even if it does exist, humans have no way of perceiving it. The only absolute certainties lie in abstract concepts like most branches of mathematics. We only have relative means of perception and measurement. So despite our attempts at humility, relative measurement is inevitably going to be a constant feature, should we attempt to measure our worth at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

IQ just measures a few areas of intelligence. Perhaps the people that you were trying to indoctrinate into your view of the world saw the logical flaws in your arguments and dismissed them as unimportant.

You may have perceived them as unintelligent when they may just have not been interested in your logic.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ancientthunder

The problem is, is that the IQ is not a very accurate measure of how "smart" you are. I think to be a good artist it takes incredible talent, it also takes incredible talent to be someone like einstein.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The 2 Anagrams of Smithsonian is:

Mason Hint IS
Masons Hint I

The 1st is a clue about the Masons and the 2nd is a clue about the 3rd most secretive meaning of their symbol.

So IF you want to know where the I has been hiding . . .

Ribbit

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
reply to post by absolutely

Objective reality is something that probably doesn't even exist, if you dive into quantum mechanics. Even if it does exist, humans have no way of perceiving it. The only absolute certainties lie in abstract concepts like most branches of mathematics. We only have relative means of perception and measurement. So despite our attempts at humility, relative measurement is inevitably going to be a constant feature, should we attempt to measure our worth at all.

you didnt get the truth there that is why it is so hidden protected

objective is absolute freedom from ur perspective mean of
what u get as absolute fact should limit u to be relative out by respecting its existence abstractly

u r not to realize any objective it is truth that u can have some basics conceptions and realities constant facts sense of

yes all is relative bc u must conceive the free u r in compensating the counting of being always free fresh energy independant of objective that u admit existing free, so ur conception of objective help u to found right u as free and ur conception of u as free help u to find better objective free rights

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
This is a very interesting thread. And, I must say that you are right on the money.

I will tell my experiences as a person who scores high on IQ tests.:

School bores the crap out of me. I got many C's in classes I didn't like because I didn't like doing homework that was useless and a waste of time. I, however, excel in "accelerated" programs on subjects I am interested in and get perfect grades because the programs only focus on what you need to know for the subject you are taking. I am perfectly happy with my lowly AA degree because I love my current job - it allows me to be creative, I learn something new every single day, and it excites me.

I was always told things like, "You're so smart, you can do anything you want to do! You'll be famous, You can make millions of dollars!" Realistically, I would like to be a farmer. This is what I am working toward right now.

I excel in things like quantum physics, genetics, language, literature, computer programming, and music. But, I am embarrassingly bad at cognitive math... to the point of having to write down simple double-digit multiplication problems to solve them. :-/

I have problems understanding other people's thought processes. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why everyone is obsessed with paper money. I can't understand what is generally accepted as "romance", it is so foreign and strange to me that I'm just flabbergasted that people put so much stock in shiny rocks and dying flowers and meals they could make better at home.

Politics just annoy me. Religion makes no sense to me. Fashion is pointless.

I don't get why you must force yourself into a mold to be "right" about anything.

In essence, I'm a clueless noob who likes to do what I like to do.

But, I have a high IQ!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
in one of my course's i did a small report on I.Q. there are many different types of inteligent form sports to math. you have to remember the system is made to filter out the most, if all made it then there would not be the rich and lucky so as much as it suck it will be there we all see it and change it.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I stand by my points, from experience.
I make one correction.
You are right, maybe pattern recognition is not so easy to teach.
BTW pattern recognition is indeed important.
However, creativity is much more important. Off course pattern recognition help with creativity (not always).

On a sidenote: I had an iq of around 105. When I redid the test a few years ago, I did mock tests, and realized I was thinking to much, it is just about pattern recognition. I will not brag on my official iq score.

edit on 28-1-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

as long as there is better score then what u do, it doesnt concern u, that is how what matter only is that ur score is not below average
which bring out the main point of those tests inventions, to start with smthg in hands for retarded brains issues

so anything below normal could suffer from not being able to exist definitely, but anything normal is exclusively its existing reality and its own free conscious out of all

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join