It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economic Armageddon and You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I really am scared. Seems we are getting close to this very thing. A friend on facebook just showed me this video and it really made me wonder. I also saw tons of other vids about this very thing.

The USA owes a lot of money to other Countries as we know. If we can't pay it back, those Countries will lose jobs and banks will shut as well as ours, and the entire world will suffer. This has never happened before and the vid says to prepare.

How will you prepare if the entire world is out of jobs? This got me thinking truly. Landlords want rent, we need food, the basic necessities. If there are zero jobs in the world, what DO we do? Start up a trade and barter system? I think that would be the best bet. Matter of fact, I think we should start doing this asap. The dollar just grows cheaper and more fake like Monopoly money every day. If we were to start up and trade and barter system, how would we go about it? What worth would be put on items, food, clothing, water, work for items, items for work; what would the value be and how would we go about setting that up?

I mean, paper money is what it is, but our own sweat and hard work would actually be worth more in the long run, yes?

Have a vid about this Economic Armageddon. It's more spelled out for those new to this but it still makes you think, especially toward the middle to end.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Well, I think the economic Armageddon won't come overnight. It'll likely be a slow process. The beginnings of the true meltdown are probably coming any day now, I agree. But do not be afraid.

Prepare. Warn those who will listen. I think you'll find that, if you do it slowly, and you do it right, a lot of people will listen to you. A lot more than would even a year or two ago.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Buy a small piece of land!!
Just one, 1/2 acre for every person that will be living with you.
Now you have a place to stand, loiter and lay your head if the SHTF.
Learn to garden, it really is simple, HUNT, yes get a deer tag, bear tag, elk, moose, dolphin, human whatever, get tags and use them.
Now you are a rich man...err woman whichever.
Air for now is free, food you can make, if you own your land outright, all you have is the tax on it, and if you don't own beeeelions of acres, the tax is not huge big.
Now if the dollar collapses, the dollar that you would use for the tax on your land will be easy to get.
Just set up contingency plans is all you need to do.
But you must have a place to put your things and grow your food, buy a piece of land!
Have you ever heard of the saying, "Landless peasants"?
Mmmmhm don't be one!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Buy a small piece of land!!
Just one, 1/2 acre for every person that will be living with you.
Now you have a place to stand, loiter and lay your head if the SHTF.
Learn to garden, it really is simple, HUNT, yes get a deer tag, bear tag, elk, moose, dolphin, human whatever, get tags and use them.

This may be do-able where you live but where you live is not the whole world. Not all of us live in a land of game and plenty, a good climate or fertile soil even. You aren't even guaranteed that favourable conditions will continue in your chosen location. And not everyone is young and fit!
I would suggest where the above applies, people acquire knowledge/items for barter. It might just keep them going till a community takes them in.
edit on 23-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
The USA owes a lot of money to other Countries as we know. If we can't pay it back, those Countries will lose jobs and banks will shut as well as ours, and the entire world will suffer. This has never happened before and the vid says to prepare.

No if the US government can't pay, it doesn't mean the world economy will stop. Let me give you an example.

China is one of the biggest lenders to the US. China exports more than it imports every year. Since most countries use the US$ for their external trade (they use their own currencies for internal trade), when someone has a trade surplus, they are holding US$. Since every year China expects to export more than it imports there is no point keeping these dollars with them. Instead it makes sense to put them where they will earn some interest or invest in some ventures. Since the US government has serious restictions on what foreign governments can buy in the US, China prefers to lend the money to the US government by buying US government debt. Even so China doesn't need either the principal or the interest anytime soon because their exports are going to be in excess of their imports for at least the next decade.

So the US government's failure to pay (which too will never happen) doesn't affect China in any way in their ability to conduct internal commerce or external trade. So will be the case with many non-Western countries.

US government will never fail to pay its debt because it can always borrow from the Fed. However that will result in steep inflation and the government will do it, if no other option is available.

So your problem won't be lack of money, but too much of it making it worthless.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Observor

China would be affected if American economy collapses, America is Chinas saps when it comes to selling us billions of dollars for cheap slavelike labor toxic products, I guarantee if we American peasants stop buying their junk they will tumble right behind us, I know China exports to other countries buttttt America is a sound money maker for them,

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Things aren't so bad unless you want thwm to be. just got another promotion and about a 30% pay raise so I'm back to where i was 5 years ago. putting it all away and no not in gold or silver.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
China would be affected if American economy collapses, America is Chinas saps when it comes to selling us billions of dollars for cheap slavelike labor toxic products, I guarantee if we American peasants stop buying their junk they will tumble right behind us, I know China exports to other countries buttttt America is a sound money maker for them,

US collapsing will mean squat for China as long as China can ensure her savings denominated in US$ don't lose their value. Their savings would be enough for years of imports even if all their exports were to only the US (which is not the case) and their export earnings would go to zero (which will not be the case).

China is refusing to let the US$ lose value waiting precisely for an alternate currency regime that converts their current savings into the new currency without any loss before the US$ and later the US economy collapse.

Once the US economy collapses they can reorient their export industries to meet the demand in the rest of the world.

Chinese would hardly notice a US economic collapse from its effect on their lives.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Observor because: (no reason given)

top topics

join