It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly mosquito virus on rise in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Cases of a deadly mosquito-borne virus increased dramatically in Australia last year, with further outbreaks possible this summer.

Three people died and there were 16 confirmed cases of Murray Valley encephalitis virus in 2011, according to an article in the Medical Journal of Australia.

There were no cases reported in 2010 and just four confirmed cases of the virus in 2009, data from the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System shows.

The virus is endemic in northern Australia but re-emerged in southeastern Australia last year, according to author Dr Jack Richards, of the Victorian Infectious Disease Service at Royal Melbourne Hospital, and his co-authors.

The increase in cases came in the wake of significant regional flooding, with deaths occurring in Western Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory.

(Source)

First I have heard about this Murray Valley encephalitis virus. It's apparently on the rise in Australia, especially in areas that have received heavy flooding. The virus causes brain inflammation, is fatal in about 15-30% of cases, and causes long-term neurological problems in 30-50% of survivors. Only about 40% of victims make a full recovery after catching this virus. There is no cure or vaccine either.

Anyone else heard of this before?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Last time i read about it (Last year), there were only like 3 or 4 people infected. Seems to be picking up the pace, and that's very bad, especially for a rare and deadly disease such as thie one. One thing i am curious about though, is why aren't there any reports in QLD? Considering 3/4 of the state got flooded, and 95% of the state is considered a danger/hazard zone prone to flooding?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
i havent heard of this, sound like something we need to know.

i will wait to see if this gets reported on MSM tonight.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Hope it doesn't hop over the pond to New Zealand - ie., in crates of fruit or something - thanks for the info

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

hey Dark Ghost thanks for bringing this us i remember reading or hearing about it a while back.
like what daaskapital said about nothing news wise in QLD, after all we cop a beating all the time!!
anyways, probably somthing to do with climate or habitat. ill look into this and post anything interesting i find

new topics

top topics

join