It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Anomalies (ooparts)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Hello everyone,
While surfing the internet some time ago I came across a website about strange things such as orbs ect. But on this site i also learnt about strange Out Of Place Artifacts (ooparts), and being a relatively new member of ATS i've decided I would share some of the information i've come across while looking into ooparts and other Ancient Anomalies (Sorry if someone has posted something similar to this before).
Ancient Anomalies
While checking it out be sure to go to "The 10 Most Puzzling Ancient Artifacts".

On the original website where i learnt about ooparts there was a story about a knife that the creater of the website had come across. The man had purchased it from a person who was selling numerous items from their house. The item was a rock that was examined and found to be thousands of years old with something like a 1970's knife stuck in it, and the original owner claimed it had been given to him by his grandpa who had the rock since the 1940's. (or something like this, i read it a long time ago). It was implied that someone who had a 1970's knife travelled back in time and dropped the knife or something. If anyone can find the original website i wouldn't mind having another read of it.

What do people think of these ooparts? Depending on the artifact some people explain them as the result of aliens ect, while others suggest they are evidence of time travel (such as the knife in the rock). I also found the grooved spheres very interesting, with one website saying how they had been sent to NASA and it was discovered that they were almost perfectly balanced and that there was no was anyone of this earth could have created them.

Anyone care to suggest how these items exist, particularly ones with "modern" items being found where they shouldn't be.

Thanks for your time.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I think there could be some ooparts, but sorry, i couldnt find the website you were talking about... but it does seem very interesting though.. did you see the articles on the Dropa Stones? i thought that was very interesting too. maybe we aren't alone. but good topic!

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ooparts are fascinating. I think there are a variety of explanations, and of course some are just plain unexplained. I will make reference to this article: Ten Mysteries

Some, like the Antikythera Mechanism and the Baghdad Battery, are accepted as legitimate artifacts. They demonstrate that the ancients were smarter than we usually give them credit for. I think a lot of ooparts fall into this category. Archaeologists try to piece together past history as best they can, but it is clear that our understanding is incomplete.

Some things like the South African metal spheres may be misunderstood natural phenomena. Many difficult to categorize artifacts disappear into small museums or private collections and are never thoroughly analyzed by scientists.

Some things like the Dropa stones seem to exist on the edge of myth. Clearly some artifacts were discovered, but only a very few photos exist. The objects themselves seem to have disappeared. Search the Internet, and you will find a whole lot of sites all repeating the same sketchy details and rumors.

Some are mistakes or frauds. I believe the Coso Artifact has been debunked, and did indeed turn out to be a fairly modern spark plug. So who were the experts who �estimated that it should have taken about 500,000 years for this fossil-encrusted nodule to form?�

Some things, we just don�t know what they are. The �ancient model aircraft� from Egypt and South America sure do look like airplanes. But we don�t know what they meant to the ancients.
I have a pet theory about some of these. I believe that the ancients may have excelled in the psychic sciences, and that some of these artifacts may represent the kind of visions that today we call remote viewing. To suggest that they had visions of the future is kind of far-out, but not nearly as far-out as suggesting they actually had flying machines.

Many of these artifacts are dated indirectly. Since metal and stone cannot be �carbon dated,� scientists usually try to determine the age geologically of the surrounding rocks. This can result in inconsistencies when artifacts fall into deep cracks or sink into mud.

I guess in the end each artifact has to be considered on its individual merits. Sorting out the different possibilities is what makes it such a fascinating mystery.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

To suggest that they had visions of the future is kind of far-out, but not nearly as far-out as suggesting they actually had flying machines.

i have to disagree. I think you could easily play devil's advocate and say its obvious that people were way more advanced than we know or are told, rather than ancient non-tech shaman having true visions of the future. To me, at least, it seems possible, even probable that we aren't getting the full story about mankinds history. It's just a question of how much has been kept secret. Just my opinion of course no disrespect meant

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonraker22

To suggest that they had visions of the future is kind of far-out, but not nearly as far-out as suggesting they actually had flying machines.

i have to disagree. I think you could easily play devil's advocate and say its obvious that people were way more advanced than we know or are told, rather than ancient non-tech shaman having true visions of the future. To me, at least, it seems possible, even probable that we aren't getting the full story about mankinds history. It's just a question of how much has been kept secret. Just my opinion of course no disrespect meant

Wow 8 year old thread. The challenge to your idea is that this requires a multi-generational conspiracy involving all governments, scientists and religions, such an organization, to say the least, would be highly unlikely to exist based on what we know about human interactions.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Newbie member making a first time post....so please bear with me. OOPARTs is an area that I am very interested in. I firmly believe that knowledge equals power and that it is very possible that our government has stumbled across artifacts (or possibly a warehouse of artifacts) left behind by a very advanced civilization. I also believe that TPTB work on a timeline that few of us can comprehend...feeding and skewing the opinions of the masses via television reporting and news broadcasts. It makes me ill when I see the exact same news reports provided on every channel, every e-mail news site, and in the paper....how gullible do they think that we are? I live in a community that has a large OOPart that has been widely recognized as needing further investigation; however, it is being ignored. Good thread - I hope it sees more replies with current OOPart findings.

Also - I don't know that this falls under OOPARTS but it is consistent with man having advanced technologies thousands of years ago. Check out articles that discuss the layer of radioactive ash discovered in Rajasthan, India. Here is just one site of many that gives an overview of what was found. Www.rense.com/general3/8000.htm
edit on 6-9-2012 by Buvvy because: Adding additional info

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
One of the big ooparts that I am really intrigued of are the small microscopic spiral metal objects found by the thousands in the Ural mountains in Russia. They have been dated to around 20,000 years old and would represent an unknown lost advanced civilization. Look them up on google, it is pretty interesting.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 304edgewood

Do you have a link to a site with good photos of the Russian objects?

You might want to check out the OOPARTs disscussed at www.s8int.com The site includes objects that have been ruled out as hoaxes as well as legit "undetermined" finds. I enjoyed reading "The Forbidden History Of The Human Race" - the condensed version of Forbidden Archeology. Many of the finds discussed in the book are on the s8int website with photos.

If you search for OOPARTs on wiki it will give you an overview of several of the more well known artifacts and it also includes the archeology communities current opinion on each finding. I find it amazing that modern medicine changes its teachings every year...to keep current with new findings; however, archeologists seem more intent on disproving new data and sticking to the one timeline of evolution...ape to man. If you do discover an OOPART the academic community will invest more resources in disproving it than in assisting you in validating your findings.

It seems like more items were found back in the days where man had to use a shovel to dig by hand for constructions purposes, coal mining, etc.... With modern construction techniques - so much dirt and coal is moved so quickly it is unlikely that someone would identify an OOPART.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Ooparts are fascinating. Most other scientists adapt methods and theories based on new findings constantly. Even the way different animals have evolved has changed over the years. We started out thinking humans were descended from apes, then discovered it was a common ancestor. Homo erectus went from being an ancestor to being a cousin of our ancestors. What I have never understood is why so many artifacts that seem out of place are just explained as anomalies. I guess there is also the new ancient aliens theory...

Why is it so hard to believe humans could have had one or more highly advanced civilizations in the past? Look how quickly we went from the pony express to email. 200 years may seem like a long time when you compare it to the lifespan of the average human, but when you think about it compared to human civilization its the blink of an eye. They probably just had different technology then us. We use plastics and other petrol products because it was readily available during the industrial revolution. They used whatever they had available as they advanced. All we need to create the right circumstances for advancement like we have today is advancement in food production. Our record of the past is severely limited due to things like the burning of the library in Alexandria. So many things have purposefully been destroyed, ripping away part of our past with it. What I would love to know is what were their mistakes. Did they do something to destroy themselves or was it simply nature taking its course. The little airplanes could be anything from a highly stylized insect to a little token from an ancient airport gift shop. People who study paleontology tend to look back with an open mind and make changes due to new discoveries. The iguanadon is a prime example of this. Why is it those studying human history refuse to keep an open mind and stick to predetermined paths from recorded history?

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by redneckprincess
Ooparts are fascinating. Most other scientists adapt methods and theories based on new findings constantly. Even the way different animals have evolved has changed over the years. We started out thinking humans were descended from apes, then discovered it was a common ancestor. Homo erectus went from being an ancestor to being a cousin of our ancestors. What I have never understood is why so many artifacts that seem out of place are just explained as anomalies. I guess there is also the new ancient aliens theory...

Why is it so hard to believe humans could have had one or more highly advanced civilizations in the past?

It's not hard to believe. That's not why people don't believe it - because it's "hard."

It is not believed because there is absolutely no evidence for it.

The only "OopArts" that exist can easily be explained by other mundane means. That is simply the truth. The fact that fringe proponents don't tell you this In mosty cases) is another matter.

There exists no OopArt that hasn't been explained.

Proof, however, is not involved. Proof is never involved. Proof only exists in mathematics and nowhere else, not even in a court of law.

Harte

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by redneckprincess

I entirely agree....200 years is barely a blink in the history of planet earth. The advancements that man has made in the last 200 years have been amazing, astounding...almost to good to be true. Even the advancements in my lifetime (microwaves, computers, wireless telephones, smart-phones, hybrid cars, the ability to clone animals and organs, etc...). We have adapted to our environment very quckly. If you look at the world as a petri dish (which is essentially what it is - a large closed ecosystem) the human race would be considered to be a pretty aggressive organism...with many characteristics that you find in your average virus. We mutate, we adapt, we are relatively hostile (toxic) to our planet (host) and we multiply rapidly to the detriment of the planet.

It makes since that any organism that can expand as rapidly as we do would run out of resources relatively quickly and then burn itself out. Give it another 2000 years and famine, overpopulation and pollution will result in the majority of the mankind dying off.....yet again.

I think that there have been prior advanced civilizations - we might have a very, very long rise and fall to our cycle (a million + years) but I think that we have previously been to the point that we are at today and beyond.
edit on 10-9-2012 by Buvvy because: Typo

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
There are a lot of areas in South America that don't really fall into the category of ooparts but when studied don't match up with the technology that is supposed to be available at the time they were built. Tiahuanaco and Nazca are two areas that fall into the category of ooparts with potential explanations. They are areas the ancient alien theorists jump on, but there is just not nearly as much attention given to the fact that our intellectual ability is no different then it was then. All it takes is an advance in agriculture and no groups that are opposed to science (one of the reasons we are not even more advanced then we are now) to become technologically advanced. Look at everything we have now. Lets pretend an asteroid similar to the one that killed the dinosaurs magically appears tomorrow. Lets also pretend a few people manage to survive and reproduce. Well go with the theory that society tends to go through cycles since were basically pretending to prove a point. in 3000 years we have a brand new advanced civilization using who knows what in place of petroleum. Those archaeologists start digging around and find some non destroyed artifacts. How about a coin out of a machine in a museum with a dinosaur stamped on it. Did those people who made that live with dinosaurs or is it just a hoax. A strange plastic contraption that emits UV rays (tanning bed). Did they fry people for punishment? Much of the earths history was either not recorded or has been lost so we are completely dependent on what we can find in the ground, and figuring out exactly what it was is up to interpretation.

As for how "hard" it is to believe, look at all of the evidence there is for evolution. Yet many people still refuse to believe any of it because it conflicts with their present belief system. I think that is the biggest issue with this idea not getting any attention. Its somehow easier to believe people created these things with flint tools or aliens flew 90 billion light years and built the pyramids then left then believe that our current society is nothing new and maybe even not all that special in human history.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by redneckprincess
There are a lot of areas in South America that don't really fall into the category of ooparts but when studied don't match up with the technology that is supposed to be available at the time they were built. Tiahuanaco and Nazca are two areas that fall into the category of ooparts with potential explanations. They are areas the ancient alien theorists jump on, but there is just not nearly as much attention given to the fact that our intellectual ability is no different then it was then. All it takes is an advance in agriculture and no groups that are opposed to science (one of the reasons we are not even more advanced then we are now) to become technologically advanced. Look at everything we have now. Lets pretend an asteroid similar to the one that killed the dinosaurs magically appears tomorrow. Lets also pretend a few people manage to survive and reproduce. Well go with the theory that society tends to go through cycles since were basically pretending to prove a point. in 3000 years we have a brand new advanced civilization using who knows what in place of petroleum. Those archaeologists start digging around and find some non destroyed artifacts. How about a coin out of a machine in a museum with a dinosaur stamped on it. Did those people who made that live with dinosaurs or is it just a hoax. A strange plastic contraption that emits UV rays (tanning bed). Did they fry people for punishment? Much of the earths history was either not recorded or has been lost so we are completely dependent on what we can find in the ground, and figuring out exactly what it was is up to interpretation.

You're using hypotheticals here. As I said, it's not "hard" to believe. A hypothetical doesn't apply, however, if you want to talk about reality.

A coin with a dinosaur on it, depending on the context it was found in, could provide some evidence for an extremely ancient civilization, yes. Unfortunately, no such coins have been found.

Regarding dinosaur figures, the Ica stones (link) are an admitted hoax. Nobody is crying "HOAX!!" here, several natives have admitted to it. An admitted hoax is not the same as a claimed hoax.

Also, the Acambaro figures (link) that look like dinosaurs have never been seen in situ. There exists, then, no data that could possibly indicate whether or not they are hoaxes. Given what we know about the past for certain, and given that we have no (confirmed) evidence at all that humans and dinos lived at the same time, the Acambaro figures can be dismissed because claims that are made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

There are no "OopArts" that remain unexplained, then. Therefore, OopArts cannot be used to postulate the existence of some ancient unknown civilization. On the other hand, that certainly doesn't mean that no unknown civilizations excisted, nor does it mean that no legitimate OopArts will be found at some point in the future.

Harte

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I think the there could be beings that come around every so many thousands of years such as the annunaki theory were they terra form the earth. I just think it is more than coincidence how a civilization comes up from nowhere to be the first in everything such as the sumerian culture and Gobekli Tepe etc: Printing, astronomy, language, mathematics.

So in that time period things just shot up and high culture was established. So every so many thousands of years things get higher tec. I just don't think it is evolution. I think the Zacharia Sitchin theory is valid were he states that came down about 400,000 years ago. And who knows maybe 400,000 years before that etc,.

Though he gets into trouble with planet x niburu which may or man not exist. I think in order to digest these theories somewhat correctly we have to take things and and put things in in what fits in our understanding of ancient history. Micheal Cremo has be excellent on Coast to Coast in regards to his Forbidden Archeology book etc. I highly recommend going to YouTube and checking out his videos.

Great post and deserves more flags for sure!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Flag. I love them. Check out this thread I did in 2010-you won't be disappointed. I think it is great this stuff gets "re-opened" and "re-discussed etc". With so many new members etc... good job.

Out of Place Artifacts and other things: Update and Review 2010!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by thetiler
I think the there could be beings that come around every so many thousands of years such as the annunaki theory were they terra form the earth. I just think it is more than coincidence how a civilization comes up from nowhere to be the first in everything such as the sumerian culture and Gobekli Tepe etc: Printing, astronomy, language, mathematics.

So in that time period things just shot up and high culture was established. So every so many thousands of years things get higher tec. I just don't think it is evolution. I think the Zacharia Sitchin theory is valid were he states that came down about 400,000 years ago. And who knows maybe 400,000 years before that etc,.

If Sitchin is right, it's by pure luck because no Sumerian myth says anything like that. There is no "Anunnaki myth" about Anunnaki helping (or creating) people with anything whatsoever.

The Anunnaki were underworld gods, not sky gods.

IOW, Sitchin made it up.

Doesn't make him wrong. It just means he'd have to be damn lucky to be right.

Harte

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thetiler

When considering the validity of an OOPARTs finding I always try to go back to the source. If the finding was debunked I try to find out who debunked it and if they even visited the site where the object was found prior to rendering thier opinion. Many opinions were rendered with very little scientific investigation....the OOPARTs were determined to be hoaxes just based on the existing and well-established theory of evolution. Question: What would happen if an OOPART was 100% proven to actually have existed prior to the age of the dinosaurs? What would the impact be on the society that we live in, on religion, on our governing entities? I think that TPTB would have a vested interest in keeping conclusive evidence of a prior advanced civilization hidden. If the prior civilization was as advanced as ours and it was obliterated...then how long do we have before it happens again? I DO NOT believe that mankind presently has the ability to construct the great pyramid of Giza. It was too structurally perfect....just mining the granite stones and transporting them would be close to impossible. This one fact alone drives the majority of my belief that there were prior advanced civilizations. I believe that we could construct the lesser pyramids....but history shows that they were constructed well after the great pyramid. The lesser pyramids also were not constructed with the same precision as the pyramid of Giza.
edit on 11-9-2012 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
One additional observation...it is a fact that a prior civilization used massive granite blocks the way that we use bricks. They had a mechanism for transporting massive objects. If they had developed a technology that could levitate those giant stones....what else were they capable of doing? Terra forming the planet seems to be more feasible. Kepler's law of planetary motion leads me to believe that the prior civilization could have even had a role in positioning the planets around the sun.

Regardless of if the prior advanced civilization came from the sky or from underground...I think it was present.

If mankind imploded in an ELE (nuclear war, asteroid, etc...) and resorted to living to underground or off-planet for the next 1,000 or even 10,000 years...when we emerged/returned it would appear as if our civilization on earth suddenly "started" at that point.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buvvy
When considering the validity of an OOPARTs finding I always try to go back to the source. If the finding was debunked I try to find out who debunked it and if they even visited the site where the object was found prior to rendering thier opinion. Many opinions were rendered with very little scientific investigation....the OOPARTs were determined to be hoaxes just based on the existing and well-established theory of evolution.

The bolded part above is nothing but total crapola.

You appear not to have investigated any of these if that is your "finding."

Most "OopArts" that haven't been totally disproven have not been tested at all, due to their owners not wanting to be caught in a lie or shown to be ignorant. So, rather than the case being that the debunker has done very little scientific investigation, the fact is that it is the claimant that has prevented any scientific investigation from taking place.

If you have the notion that investigators need to have their motives checked out, which it appears you do considering what you wrote, then what I've just stated definitely indicates that the same should be said of the claimants, only far moreso.

Question: What would happen if an OOPART was 100% proven to actually have existed prior to the age of the dinosaurs? What would the impact be on the society that we live in, on religion, on our governing entities? I think that TPTB would have a vested interest in keeping conclusive evidence of a prior advanced civilization hidden.

The above is an indication that you believe that certain histories of humanity have been kept hidden. Concerning such matters, wouldn't you agree that the Catholic Church (for example) held greater sway in 1800 than it does today, right?

Yet, in 1822 Champollion finaly succeeded in translating the Rosetta stone, allowing truckloads of evidence that the Pope was wrong to cascade over the public. How is it that your secret cabal allowed this to get out?

If the prior civilization was as advanced as ours and it was obliterated...then how long do we have before it happens again? I DO NOT believe that mankind presently has the ability to construct the great pyramid of Giza.

Your personal beliefs have nothing to do with it. BTW, speak for yourself concerning what can and cannot be done. Myself, I'm certain I can stack some stones up over a pile of randomly sized, mortared together rocks and get a reasonably shaped pyramid.

It was too structurally perfect

It is nowhere near structurally perfect. This tells me I'm wasting my time arguing with a person that has little or even no knowledge of the subject at hand.

....just mining the granite stones and transporting them would be close to impossible.

More ignorance, considering that very little of the stone in any pyramid in Egypt is granite, and considering that we have evidence at granite (and limestone) quarries that indicate exactly how the stone was quarried,.

Hint - it wasn't with lasers. They can't even do that today.

This one fact alone drives the majority of my belief that there were prior advanced civilizations. I believe that we could construct the lesser pyramids....but history shows that they were constructed well after the great pyramid. The lesser pyramids also were not constructed with the same precision as the pyramid of Giza.

That would be fine, if that were indeed a fact. However, it is not. So you are basing a belief here on a modern myth perpetrated by people with an economic agenda - to sell books and get on crockumentaries.

Harte

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Harte... Your rebuttal arguments are noted. I was enjoying hearing the viewpoints of others and exchanging ideas until you dedicated an entire post to tearing apart every single thing that I said. I was going to try to continue to discussion but I can see the direction this is heading in so I will just sign off here. This was my first attempt at a discussion on ATS and it will be my last. Enjoy your forum.

edit on 11-9-2012 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join