It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there a lot US citizens expecting chaos and preparing home-defense?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I am not american and as far as I can see here on ATS there are not that many europeans preparing for "war" on the home front. Americans want a gun...So what do you americans think...do you feel the time is near and it to be necesary for you to prepare against your fellow citizen or government?

What do you guys preparing for anyway? Is it for the 2012 meteorite storm, the NWO takeover or for the total lawlessness when the dollar crumbles?

Would you prepare if there is no direct threat or expectation for disaster....you know just in case?

There will be many people without such preparations. What kind of person would expect the worse and prepare agains home invaders? Teachers, nurses, millionairs, truck-drivers, survivalists or gang-bangers maybe?

Or is it a psychological thing that will bring a person to prepare against to bad world outside? The careful, the better safe than sorry thoughtfull person or maybe the fearful characters? All of the above maybe..?

What do you think this armery for defense against fellow citizens in america is coming from......didn't want to say it but........are people conditioned by movies or what is on tv maybe?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I'm not really thinking on any kind of "disaster " level. I learn to grow food and learn how to produce my own goods for humanitarian reasons. I think people don't need government to survive , and we as people give them too much power over us. I hope that every American can learn some skill , because money is becoming worthless...but as a community we can support each-other with the skills we attain.

I'm prepared for the worst, and I hope for the best .

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Well for most I think it is their answer to protecting their family in a just in case scenario. Many areas have seen random home invasions, and an increase in crime. I live in an area that usually has little to no crime at all, and just in the past year alone I have had 4 different people within a couple miles of me have their houses broken into.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
If I was preparing, I wouldn't put it out in the public.

Food and fuel prices are continuously rising (although for whatever reason last week gas dropped to $3.09 at the place I get gas at) so I am learning the wonders of growing foods like veggies, beans and rice (all you need to survive, but not live). I am also learning about the different types of bio fuels.

I wouldn't mind getting a battery and generator and hooking it up to a bike for some good ole human power (I seriously need to exercise anyways)

Be that as it may, I wouldn't give anyone any heads up or reason if I did decide to go that route.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The bottom line is that unless you're American, you just wouldn't understand. I don't know what else to tell you.

You don't know how crazy people are here; you don't understand how violent a lot of people here are.

If you're European, you've probably never experienced how eager the authorities are to use tasers or pepper spray against you. Some cops here will beat you half to death and laugh about it just because you smarted off at them. And they will get away with it.

The U.S. is on the verge of a collapse that's only a matter of time. NDAA, poverty rates through the roof, more and more countries quitting the dollar, our politicians apparently determined to go to war with Iran.

I'm looking at my country and understanding that, worst case scenario, I've got a good start for when I'm homeless.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

If you could spend 300 dollars now vs 900 in the future...what would you do? Save money and spend 300 now.
As far as weapons go, we have the right to have them, we never gave up that right..like a lot of people in other countries.
People do what they do...to feel secure, and safe. Many don't trust the economy, and everyone in the world knows that economies fail.
People are scared of the unknown, and are protecting themselves against it...so they think. Will they ever need to use a gun in self defense? I hope not, but they get it...incase they do.
You have a hammer and screwdriver right? do you need it all the time? no...but you have it incase you do need it.

A weapon..gun is a tool like a hammer, screwdriver or saw....it is only as good or as bad as the person using it.
Pencils don't misspell words, cars don't speed down the road on there own, and guns don't hurt people...people hurt people.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I suppose the answer to the question is this.

We have the right to keep and bear arms. Bearing arms in times of chaos tends to keep the bad sorts at a distance and looking for much easier targets. Open carry serves a solid purpose. Keeps the riff raff moving on down the street.

For the 98 percentile self defense when there is no law enforcement is just good common sense. We know a couple out of every hundred are going to be unstable/dangerous in normal times, and we are all watching out for those types.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

its our American right to bear arms most Americans own guns. If a disaster like economy collapse or if we had a bomb go off...alot of Americans believe we can't be harmed thinking like that leaves them unprepared.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The constitution gives us the right to bare arms for one specific reason. To prevent tyranny. And I'm afraid that soon we will realize what tyrants our government has become. I think that's why the government is trying so hard to ban guns in this country. I hope that I'm wrong, but I've noticed people openly discussing the possibility of revolution. The government oversteps and the people are starting to pay attention to their actions. I believe it's not a matter of if but a matter of when, though I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Well for most I think it is their answer to protecting their family in a just in case scenario. Many areas have seen random home invasions, and an increase in crime. I live in an area that usually has little to no crime at all, and just in the past year alone I have had 4 different people within a couple miles of me have their houses broken into.

Why do you think there is this increase of crime in your neigbourhood? Has it to do with financial crisis, were many people laid off from work? Is the police on top of things?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
In such a case I would be mobilized and not make such foolish preparations as to protect my castle.

My new castle will be made of sticks and mud. I will take with me only what I need.
edit on 24-1-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I have been in more than my share of sticky situations and at times believed, I might be in peril.
I have seen how irrational people can get when drunk, angry, just plain stupid, Etc.
Therefore I prepare for a zombie apocalypse to be safest.
Plus I cannot be called crazy if the US Gumment told me to prepare for this situation.
No really, see for yourself!
If a zombie apocalypse never happens, I'm still prepared for a number of other circumstances.
Number two being stupidity!
Humans can be some of the hardest working, caring and compassionate individuals.
I have also seen the opposite, and that is what i think is a good possibility if the lights go out or the food goes away, Etc.
Guns do not kill people, politicians do!
But a close second is stupid people.
Prepare for zombies!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
The bottom line is that unless you're American, you just wouldn't understand. I don't know what else to tell you.

You don't know how crazy people are here; you don't understand how violent a lot of people here are.

If you're European, you've probably never experienced how eager the authorities are to use tasers or pepper spray against you. Some cops here will beat you half to death and laugh about it just because you smarted off at them. And they will get away with it.

The U.S. is on the verge of a collapse that's only a matter of time. NDAA, poverty rates through the roof, more and more countries quitting the dollar, our politicians apparently determined to go to war with Iran.

I'm looking at my country and understanding that, worst case scenario, I've got a good start for when I'm homeless.

I would like to ask your opinion too about where you think this violence coming from. Is it maybe a part of the "macho" culture. You know...to show bystanders what you can do to an other person when they talk about your mother.....which is very imature.

The purchase of guns by americans has a weapons race simularity to it. For example, your potential enemy has a wooden stick you get an iron pipe. He get hold of a knife, the other get a sword....And because people are allowed to posses a gun..everybody wants a gun.

But still...all that voilence...also commited by police officers....where does it come from and how far will it go? One thing is for sure....it not normal for a normal human society. What part does the government play in all this?

Or has this violent behavior in people its roots in upbringing? A-social families with domestic violence or is it the violent computer games that little children play.......just writing my thoughts here.

edit on 24/1/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zatara
So what do you americans think...do you feel the time is near and it to be necessary for you to prepare against your fellow citizen or government?

Boy scout motto: Be Prepared.
They forgot "For Anything." It's a good idea to follow, even if what little you can do isn't fully enough. You'll still be better off than had you not prepared at all.
As to your question, being prepared against my fellow citizens isn't really an issue to me. If SHTF and all law is gone, my law becomes law:
If you're good to me and help when I need it, I will try my best to do more for you in return. If you are bad and try to take advantage of or hurt me in any way, I will try my best to the same for you in return. It sounds bad to say it, but in that situation, some things are still the same. There are still going to be bad people out there that need to be dealt with, but the police may not be around to take care of it. Treat others how you'd like to be treated and you'll probably have a better life.
Being prepared against my government is different, and need more time to think about it.

What are you guys preparing for anyway? Is it for the 2012 meteorite storm, the NWO takeover or for the total lawlessness when the dollar crumbles?

Again, when pretty much anything happens, it's good to be prepared for it rather than be caught with your pants down.

Would you prepare if there is no direct threat or expectation for disaster....you know just in case?

Umm...That's kind of the whole point, isn't it???

There will be many people without such preparations. What kind of person would expect the worst and prepare against home invaders? Teachers, nurses, millionaires, truck-drivers, survivalists or gang-bangers maybe?

What kind of person would prepare? Hopefully all of them. Then they won't come looking for what I have and they can probably afford a lot more than I can.

What do you think this armery for defense against fellow citizens in america is coming from
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say there.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Forget home defense or prep other than a shotgun and a few days of food, what is most important is hardened re-enforced concrete structures, like government buildings and bunkers. the main important reason is you need to be hidden underground where satellites and predator drones cannot detect you, with plenty of space you wont feel claustrophobic.

large buildings, especially older structures have many cool elements to them where moving and hiding is easy, and usually has more than one basement level.

there are thousands of abandon buildings throughout the country, where a little research could net you a really unique hide on the edge of the city near water ways where you could actually feed yourself and maintain a secret hide that you could seriously defend if you were ever cornered

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Besides owning weapons for home defense I like to target shoot but I'm not into hunting. I carry a concealed with permanent when I travel there have been a few times I was glad I had it. There was one time I am sure that kept me from being robbed or worse when I was in Miami. I didn't have to shoot but I flashed it to them them to back off.

If you look through other threads you will see posts on people talking about revolution. That for me is enough to justify being prepared. I do not think I will see it in my lifetime but I have been wrong before. Just call it being a Boy Scout which means being prepared.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by zatara
I am not american and as far as I can see here on ATS there are not that many europeans preparing for "war" on the home front. Americans want a gun...So what do you americans think...do you feel the time is near and it to be necesary for you to prepare against your fellow citizen or government?

Most of the replies you get will be from the people most motivated to answer--those who are feeling like they are in a crisis. But that doesn't represent even the majority of the people making some kind of preparation, and that is only a tiny fraction of the populace (over-represented at ATS).

What do you guys preparing for anyway? Is it for the 2012 meteorite storm, the NWO takeover or for the total lawlessness when the dollar crumbles?

-epidemic
-nuclear reactor malfunction
-earthquake
-weather catastrophe

The only people preparing are those who "expect" or suspect something will happen eventually....

Or is it a psychological thing that will bring a person to prepare against to bad world outside? The careful, the better safe than sorry thoughtfull person or maybe the fearful characters? All of the above maybe..?

I personally am more of a 'prepper' than a survivalist. My preparations involve learning to grow food for my family, fish and hunt to supplement our diet and reduce food costs, and just a general way to spend time with my family outdoors. Every camping trip in a national forest is a type of "practice" for living in the woods for a longer period. We enjoy our hobbies, even if nothing ever "goes wrong."

What do you think this armery for defense against fellow citizens in america is coming from......didn't want to say it but........are people conditioned by movies or what is on tv maybe?

Hardly. The weapons issue is only one dimension of general preparedness. I love to hunt; all my guns are for hunting first, and could be used for security as an afterthought. Most people in America don't own a gun.

A lot of people on ATS talk about survival. A lot of them are college students, daydreaming of adventure. The rest of us simply have useful hobbies.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

The violence in American culture is, I think, due to primarily the problem of a culture that glorifies violence while at the same time taking poor steps to actually civilize people about when it is appropriate to use. It's okay to use violence to protect yourself and others; it's not okay to use violence to get your way (hence cops thinking it's okay to beat the crap out of people because they're not cooperating fast enough).

As for guns, people don't want guns because they know thieves and such are allowed to have them, they want guns because they know that most criminals are really just cowards and a gun is a very effective deterrent. Used rightly, you shouldn't even have to use the gun most of the time. And they also know that, legal or not, most criminals are going to have them.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

reply to post by zatara

The violence in American culture is, I think, due to primarily the problem of a culture that glorifies violence while at the same time taking poor steps to actually civilize people about when it is appropriate to use. It's okay to use violence to protect yourself and others; it's not okay to use violence to get your way (hence cops thinking it's okay to beat the crap out of people because they're not cooperating fast enough).

As for guns, people don't want guns because they know thieves and such are allowed to have them, they want guns because they know that most criminals are really just cowards and a gun is a very effective deterrent. Used rightly, you shouldn't even have to use the gun most of the time. And they also know that, legal or not, most criminals are going to have them.

Because other countries have no crime, right???

Decapitated-body-found-in-mexico.

As Chinese paramilitary officers in Sichuan Province sought to detain monks, some Tibetans trying to prevent their removal were fatally beaten, ...

Look Ma, no guns
edit on 24-1-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

America has issues but all in all it is still the best country in the world. We have lost our way and apathy has taken the drivers seat.

I have dealt with the police many times and have never have had a taser or force be used. Am I just lucky? Maybe the issue is with you? I have always been respectful and have always received it in return.

Crazy people are the few just like any other country. Maybe it is the way you see things that is messed up?

new topics

<<   2 >>

join