It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guys, ACTA is coming and it's worse than SOPA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I'm still learning about this as it was just now brought to my attention. I'm already getting tons of people knowing about it. Supposedly it's to pass Jan 26th or 28th. As I said, I'm a noob to this knowledge but want to alert you. It's all over google, surprised nothing is on here about it yet.

It takes censorship to a whole new level, folks. I'm scared.

www.stopacta.info...

See what you think. I'm posting without reading but the urgency is so massive right now, I'm sure more posts will be made about this in the next day. D:
I'm reading it right now.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Here is a video about it as well:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I'll have to take a look at this bill; I assume another abomination with the potential to ruin the openess of the internet.

I posted a thread last night reharding the new OPEN Act. Which surprisingly seems much milder than SOPA or PIPA; but now with ACTA as well...this is crazy. It's like they were ordered by some unknown force to push legislation that would hinder and regulate the internet... we must fight.
edit on 22-1-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I say we do away with copyrights. Problem solved.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have an original idea. I say we do away with copyrights. Problem solved.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I believe this has been in the works for some time.

Canada, the European Union and Switzerland joined the preliminary talks throughout 2006 and 2007. Official negotiations began in June 2008, with Australia, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and Singapore joining the talks. The negotiations were classified as secret in the US on the grounds of "damage to the national security"

National security? really? We cannot talk about copyright BS without a national security clearance?

would create a governing body outside international institutions such as the World Trade Organization (WTO), the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) or the United Nations.[

Corporate protection outside of existing bodies of government? Sounds shaky to me!

A signing ceremony was held on 1 October 2011 in Tokyo, with the United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea signing the treaty.

Too late! It's already been signed by Obama I guess.

Link

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

I was talking to a friend earlier, and got to talking about this bill. And I know it wont happen but, if this bill does pass everybody should disconnect and not use it as a form of internet protest. When they start losing money cause there isn't anybody to track, in theroy the bill would die.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy

I was talking to a friend earlier, and got to talking about this bill. And I know it wont happen but, if this bill does pass everybody should disconnect and not use it as a form of internet protest. When they start losing money cause there isn't anybody to track, in theroy the bill would die.

That's a great theory and definitely the most effective form of protest - but I highly doubt it could ever happen. Too many people would continue to use it and nothing would change other than people cutting themselves off from the world (or what you can still see of it) and gaining nothing from it. If you are strictly principled, you might still do this, but you would be a fraction of consumers. Facebook is an obvious and blatant data mining operation for corporations and government - many on ATS know this and yet still use Facebook.

The trick, it seems, is to make stuff that is so shiny, and becomes so integrated into our lives, that we accept all the bad that comes along with it.

I don't mean to be negative, just realistic. I would support this, and cancel my internet access if I truly thought enough people were involved for it to make an impact.. For example if there was a site (that didn't get censored, har har) that was organizing a mass shut off date and had at least a couple of million people committed to it I would join the flood, so to speak.

I am only just reading about ACTA, as I just learned about it today. As I understand it is still being negotiated, has not become law and very well might never become law in it's current form. Definitely something to be aware of and learn about and fight against, but not an imminent threat or anything.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Sadly I can't stop my net as I need it for school

and other entertainment since we have no tv's in the house. I'd hate to go back to tv. :/

But yeah, this really scares me. The whole world, not just the USA, yet they hid it behind SOPA which is something they'd do. The sneaky sneaky rats.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
I'll have to take a look at this bill; I assume another abomination with the potential to ruin the openess of the internet.

I posted a thread last night reharding the new OPEN Act. Which surprisingly seems much milder than SOPA or PIPA; but now with ACTA as well...this is crazy. It's like they were ordered by some unknown force to push legislation that would hinder and regulate the internet... we must fight.
edit on 22-1-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

What ever is going on, it's ridiculous and plain out uncalled for. If it does pass, any of these, I will blame sites like wikileaks, anon and so on. By them giving out private info to the public (which seemed great in retrospect) and with anon hacking into gov't sites etc., it's forcing this net control. To me, and I could be wrong about the above but whatever.. to me, it's like the same old tale of a few rotten apples spoiling it for the bunch.

Not fair. Not fair at all.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Wikileaks, Anon etc have absolutely nothing to do with copyright infringement which is what these bills are aiming to stop. There are already laws in place to deal with these things but our government is failing to enforce those laws effectively it seems so their solution is to throw the baby out with the bathwater, or they're choosing to poorly enforce the laws so that they can have some justification at limiting our free speech further. They know what the internet is becoming and they're afraid. Place the blame where it belongs, at the feet of our criminal government.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Already a Thread about ACTA

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I'm bumping this thread as the ACTA legislatian was signed by over 20 countries, including the US and Japan. It bypasses national parliments and has worldwide ramifications. Effectively it would give a limited quantity of corporations the power the censor the internet. We need to mobilise agianst ACTA just as we did against SOPA and PIPA. We need to let them know that we will not stand by while they censor the World Wide Web.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
We need to mobilise agianst ACTA just as we did against SOPA and PIPA. We need to let them know that we will not stand by while they censor the World Wide Web.

Hi guys.

Time is running out, so I don't have enough time for introducing me properly.
After reading about ACTA, I'm posting my T-shirts everywhere

Deviantart.com - ACTA IS WATCHING

DeviantArt.com ACTA It's a TRAP!

DeviantArt.com STOP ACTA

Print them if you want. All my deviations ARE FREE.
You can post them everywhere too, but link me please.
This is my page:
doitcharlie.deviantart.com...

Making designs for T-Shirts was the only way to help I've found so far.
GL

(As I'm not a native english speaker, maybe I've written some weird phrases lol, sorry
)

edit on 30-1-2012 by DoItCharlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

join