It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90 whales stranded on New Zealand beach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

90 whales stranded on New Zealand beach

www.abc.net.au

A pod of 90 pilot whales beached themselves at the top of New Zealand's South Island on Monday, in the same area where seven whales died in a mass stranding earlier this month, officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Now why can't we somehow utilise these whales for scientific examination? It seems to be every other month that a pod of whales beach themselves. It would be nice if Japanese scientists actually did some real research on why this is happening instead of killing the living ones to do supposed research.

Grrrrr

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Brilliant suggestion, however I'm fairly sure that the Japanese are not legitimately doing "science".

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
So sad.

Some think whales get their sonar blammoed by ships, and it drives them crazy.
The activity, in my opinion, reminds me a little bit of how some fungi, parasites, and bacteria cause ants, snails, rats, and other animals to essentially commit suicide, or turn into zombies and then commit suicide.

I wonder if this parallel has been looked into?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix
Some think whales get their sonar blammoed by ships, and it drives them crazy.

If that is true(I'm pretty sure that it is), then we should see a significant drop of similar incidents over the next 10 years.

The older sonar systems use a lower frequency (within the whales range of hearing) which was proven (many times) to affect whale migration patterns. The newer sonar systems are utilising a much higher frequency (thought to be outside of the whales range of hearing) due to the fact that the higher frequency will show the seabed silt depth/weed/fish with greater accuracy.

Given time, we will hopefully know more.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The following is dated February 2011 - - - Prior to large N.Z Earthquake,

Is this another such warning ????

www.mirror.co.uk... 41618/

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
We are most certainly leaving our foot print on this planet that's for sure.

Those poor whales have it coming from all angles.

Mankind can only be trusted living on a cement slab I'm afraid.

We don't deserve to experience the beauty of nature. We are too complacent, selfish and destructive for that.

The sooner we are put into place by a far superior intelligent ET species the better.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanielET

We don't deserve to experience the beauty of nature. We are too complacent, selfish and destructive for that.

Um....you realise that WE are a part of the very same nature?

The sooner we are put into place by a far superior intelligent ET species the better.

Face-palm.

Lets stick to reality in this forum. I'm sure you can read/discuss all you wish about our Alien overlords in Skunk works.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Un-Flag activated!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

This is obviously a global problem.

Just last weekend I was at South Padre Island, TX and saw a similar event.

Global Warming is driving the whales mad!
Al Gore was right!

edit on 22-1-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by steaming

Links broken Here is the new link

Interesting.

Personally I have my own theory of what MAY be happening;
I've always wondered if the mass beaching is caused by something primal. For example, Orca's have been long been associated with whalers, helping round up other species of whales in return for a share of the kill(I think it was usually the tongue and some of the offal. Maybe a percentage of pod beaching's that we see around the world are nothing more than prey fleeing a predator?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I didn't see a story that relates in your link, but my first thought was Large Earthquake Ahead.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

This is obviously a global problem.

Just last weekend I was at South Padre Island, TX and saw a similar event.

Global Warming is driving the whales mad!
Al Gore was right!

Cue Peta activists with buckets of saltwater.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Un-Flag activated!

Good.

Lets be honest now......If your going to bring a moronic theory to a serious thread......Expect to be treated like a moron.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin

Un-Flag activated!

Good.

Lets be honest now......If your going to bring a moronic theory to a serious thread......Expect to be treated like a moron.

Was that sarcasm? Because I'm pretty sure he was not being moronic.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DanielET

Maybe nature is to blame. Didn't a very large solar flare just hit on Saturday? Some people have theorized, and while I don't think it is even close to becoming part of mainstream science yet, that there may be a link between Solar activity and earthquakes, with beaching of whales somehow linked in to all of that. We need to see if a large one hits that region soon. I certainly hope not. And you do realize that for all the many pillaging forces of mankind, we do have people dedicated to conservation and returning us back to living in better harmony with Nature. I share your frustration with how we are treating our planet but unless you are living in a hole in the ground and eating only fallen fruit and bathing in and consuming collected rainwater, you're kind of part of the problem yourself and by your own standards may be the first one ET eats for supper.
. Internet usage is not exactly a "green" endeavor, you know.
edit on 22-1-2012 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Originally posted by SunnyDee

Was that sarcasm? Because I'm pretty sure he was not being moronic.

Lets see.

My scenario......Humans have to fix their own mess. Find solutions themselves and implement them for a better tomorrow. Sure it is a long haul and may take many, many years, but at the end of it we will have evolved for the better.

His scenario, Humans are hopelessly destructive, incapable of change & have no responsibility, Though we need not worry as our unseen alien overlords are going to come by (any time soon), fix our planet and enslave us (again).

NEWS FLASH ..... No alien race is going to wipe our ar$es or kiss our boo boo's. If WE want a better place to live....we must first admit that this is our own fault and that we are the only ones who can fix it.

edit on 22/1/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Honestly, Your post was about as well thought out as his.

Now why can't we somehow utilise these whales for scientific examination? It seems to be every other month that a pod of whales beach themselves. It would be nice if Japanese scientists actually did some real research on why this is happening instead of killing the living ones to do supposed research.

The unpredictability of the beachings does not lend itself to easy research, and the japanese are known to hunt the whales for food, oil, etc, not for research. And why the Japanese at all?

The other guy you call moronic was maybe a bit overly dramatic, but I think he was trying to say we humans ruin most everything we touch. Sadv but true. I took the alien comment as odd humor is all.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

That was my first thought also. Coupled with the unseasonable weird weather and solar flares - the sun just had a M8.7 tonite - me thinks it's gonna get really weird - all we need now is for the birds to start falling from the sky again like last year.

Just for the record, I've been following EQ and solar flares for a while, strictly amateur level, but try as I might I just can't seem to correlate the flares to any major EQ activity on a regular basis. But abnormal animal behavior has been documented as a precursor to EQ, so the questions then become: Does this many whales beaching themselves fall within the realm of "abnormal" or normal behavior for this species? Is there a significant correlation between beached whales and significant EQs within a certain time frame? These are the answers I would look for.

I can only hope that people with more training than I can find answers 'cause the pat answer that die-offs are just "normal" isn't floating my boat, and frankly really irritates the bat guano outta me. Massive die-offs on the scale we've been seeing around the world cannot be normal.

I'll get off my soapbox now

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

That is the first thing I thought Steaming...Watch out for the earthquake!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join