It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How "The Pill" works as an Abortifacient

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This is information I've known this for over ten years. I am posting the definition of the word as it is uncommon.

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of ABORTIFACIENT

: inducing abortion

This is an information sharing thread, not a moral debate on the topic of abortion.

If you don't believe it, ask you doctor.

The fact that so few people know of this speaks volumes about information suppression.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Thank you, and thank you again for making it clear this is not a post for moral debate, but just an information posting.

S&F

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
thank gawd i got a penis

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Wow you learn something new everyday. Makes me wonder how many other people know about this

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Seektruthalways1

I was tempted to put this in a conspiracy thread because from what I can tell not too many people know this. People find it hard to believe and people don't want to believe it. It's seems that "the pill" manufacturers are hiding this little secret from the population.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The fertilized egg is never implanted. It gets stuck in the cervical goo. That's not a baby, sorry....

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

No need to be sorry. If that is what you believe, I understand. I disagree, but that's me, I was taught that life begins at conception.

So sticking to keeping this scientific I looked up the medical definition of conception: The formation of a viable zygote by the union of a spermatozoon and an ovum; fertilization.

medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

Apparentlly, it is the act of fertilzation, not implantation that defines conception.

That being said, scientist and doctors have been "conceiving" babies or zygotes if you prefer, outside the womb for years now. You never hear it put that way, though.

edit on 1/22/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I was taught many things as well. I grew an adult mind and learned that many were wrong. A fertilized egg isn't conscious and it surely isn't alive.

Scientists also do awful animal testing. Like putting acid in rabbits and primates eyes. These animals are alive and suffer in agony until they are killed. Scientists also test on humans, ie: Unit 731. Science isn't ethical if you haven't noticed and the least of these ethical problems are fertilized eggs.
edit on 1/22/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

One definition of conception as you said:

the onset of pregnancy, marked by implantation of the blastocyst; the formation of a viable zygote.

Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved

It is also stated that it is an imprecise term. Obviously, we see it defined two ways.

I think if something is growing it is generally considered alive.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

Scientists also do awful animal testing. Like putting acid in rabbits and primates eyes. These animals are alive and suffer in agony until they are killed. Scientists also test on humans, ie: Unit 731. Science isn't ethical if you haven't noticed and the least of these ethical problems are fertilized eggs.

I really did not want to discuss the moral/ethical aspect so I will refrain from comment on this.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

I was taught many things as well. I grew an adult mind and learned that many were wrong.

Perhaps I should have said I learned this in biology.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I'm not arguing definitions of words. So.....don't know where you're going with that. I'm arguing if a fertilized egg is a human.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

A fertilized egg isn't always as "human" as you would think. Google hydatidiform mole or molar pregnancy. Sometimes procreation is a crapshoot.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

An issue of semantics....nothing more. You are providing information that would be archaic to most sexually active people. That is...the word and following definition that you present. You call it ABORTIFACIENT.....many others call it the "pill"...birth control...amazing sex X times a day without the worry.....

The result is the same. Fertilization is actively prevented as much as possible. That is a good thing. It allows men and women to enjoy their lives for the briefest of moments without the specter of pregnancy looming over the couple(or more
).

You say you do not want to become involved in the morality and ethics of abortion. However, the way I see it, that is exactly what you are doing. You are merely bringing the discussion about by using this little known terminology. It is technically irrelevant how one defines prevention of pregnancy. It gets the job done effectively no matter how your personal point of view defines the act of birth control.

Nothing wrong with that. At all.....

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I knew how it worked before trying it, and when I discussed it with my doctor, she also reviewed that there was more than one way "the pill" works. I'm not sure this information has been "suppressed". It was 1988 when I found out. But maybe I learned about it, and then they suppressed it for 25 years.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I could see this being part of a 'depopulation' agenda that Rockefellers may have come up with. Just like how they founded Planned Parenthood and the such. Good information none the less.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I really did not want any woman who believes that life begins at conception and has been taking the pill to feel anything but mislead. I an pro-life and was taking the pill before it knew this.

If you are not of the opinion that life begins at conception, so what? I understand where you are coming from and you can state your point of view, of course. I hope you can consider the other side of the coin here.

I ask you consider how you like being duped? How would you like to have in your mind "I wonder how many times this happened to me and I never knew it?" If you can empathize with this point of view you would understand it feels terrible to unwittingly allow this to happen. It might have happened from zero to God knows how many times.

This isn't breaking news. I have no idea how many industries have been involved in keeping this under the table, so to speak. Right now, I feel like the pharma industry ought to be made to acknowledge this and inform women who buy it.

So as you post on this thread, I ask you to be considerate of how this issue impacts others.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

The method that you describe, that basically prevents implantation of a potentially fertilised egg, is only one of many forms of contraception, and is by no means the preferred method of oral contraception. The mini-pill does work by preventing the required build up of womb tissue that makes a receptive environment for a fertilised egg, however, the more popular alternative, the combined pill, does not. That method actually prevents the release of the egg from the ovaries.

The combined pill, if there is no health problems to prevent it's use, should be preferred because not only is it more effective in preventing pregnancy but it also allows women to control their menstrual cycles. I personally took it continuously for years without a break. Not only to prevent pregnancy but also because my periods are painful and heavy to the extent that they effect my general health. By doing this, it has been proven by numerous studies, I have in fact lengthened my life span. Ovulation can be an incredibly energy intensive process and it has been shown that by minimising the number of times that we ovulate (by a means other than repeated pregnancy) a woman's health in later life can be significantly improved.

So while I agree that the mini-pill should be avoided unless necessary due to health reasons, any young woman should seek to be on the combined pill from the onset of stabilised menstruation, not to prevent pregnancy, but for the sake of their long term health.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

In jan 2011 I stopped taking the birth control pill i'd been on for the past 10 years. I was hoping, and still am, to get pregnant. I had one regular period in feb 11, then nothing since. I had a scan last september and it revealed I have polycystic ovaries syndrome or PCOS.

The doctor was quite shocked because I apparently didn't fit the usual PCOS profile as I don't display the classic symptoms like weight gain, I'm only 9 stone, and I don't have excessive body hair. Further tests show that I don't have any blood sugar issues at all and apparently my hormones are fine too.

So what's causing the pcos? I don't know if its true or not but its said that miscarriage/abortions can lead to pcos. This then made me ask the question about how the birth control pill worked? and only earlier today I discovered that the pill is a abortifacient. To say i'm angry is an understatement, I felt sick when I found out. Then I discovered this tread whilst searching for posts on ATS.

Even after all of the corrupt things I have discovered in our world over the last 4 months this one still shook me to the core! For me abortion is something I would never choose to do willingly and yet it may well have happened to me many times. The sad thing is that I should have looked into this before I started taking the pill, but I think back then I wouldn't have understood what it meant even if I had.

Now I just don't know if I should tell my friends so at least they are informed but I don't want them to feel like its their fault, but without them knowing the background of the pharmaceutical history I think it would be too hard to understand. But it would be morally wrong if I didn't tell them.

This is really bad, but my faith will always guide me and keep me strong

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Minnie1985
This is really bad, but my faith will always guide me and keep me strong

Firstly, not all contraceptive pills are the same. Not all of them work in the way that the OP describes. Which were you on? You mention your sugar levels...do you mean insulin levels...? It is generally insulin levels that are high in PCOS.

Secondly, it took me a good few years of trying to get pregnant after stopping the pill, it is not as easy as it seems, even under normal circumstances, so please do not lose heart. PCOS can make conception difficult the first time round (though it evidently gets easier once you have had one successful pregnancy), but most definately not impossible. Get a diary and make notes throughout your cycle, there are tests that can identify if you are ovulating and then concentrate intercourse in the days proceeding ovulation when the consistency of your vaginal excretions are at their optimum for swimming sperm (this can be a major cause of not getting pregnant, and there are one or two cough medicines on the market that can help you to get you to the right consistency - U2U me if you want any further information on that). Diet can also help in terms of maintaining the correct pH in your vagina for increasing the sperms chances of 'getting there'.

While it is good to share your concerns with your girlfriends, do not discourage them from taking oral contraceptives if they work for them, but perhaps advise them to explore other options like the combined pill for example. Either way, it can take well over a year, maybe more, for your cycle to return to normal after ceasing a hormonal based contraceptive, and that cannot be rushed, patience is essential, because worrying about it, is as likely to prevent you from getting pregnant as anything else. But it is unlikely that the contraceptive alone could cause the PCOS, surgical abortions can leave scaring that prevents future pregnancies, but it is unlikely that the pill that you were taking has caused any lasting damage to your uterus.

Ask your GP about Clomid which can help stimulate ovulation, but also look at your diet and general health.
I would also recommend taking a supplement of Evening Primrose Oil or Starflower which may stimulate your periods, and a pre-pregnancy supplement containing folic acid which will help you 'prime' your body for pregnancy, but most of all, just relax, stress and depression alone can interupt your normal menstrual cycle. And, don't forget it takes two, encourage your partner to get his bits and pieces checked out too, and get him a zinc supplement to get his sperm up to fighting fitness. If all else fails, IVF can offer you a viable solution. But don't worry and give yourself (and your body) time.

new topics

top topics

join