It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we raising a generation of criminals?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Gen Z is being raised by the Gen X folk and us in Gen Y for the most part. I guess my question is related to the amount of pressure that I see put on these kids. My niece is in 4K and learning how to read. I didn't even start learning letters until almost halfway through Kindergarten.

Those who are successful will be the lucky ones, the rich ones, and the really smart ones. What about the rest of them? The pressure is going to break a lot of them; I can almost guarantee that.

I guess I'm worried that they're going to be so broken that they'll turn into alcoholics and drug addicts. With the way things are going, are they ever going to be able to get a decent education? Are a lot of them ever going to be able to find an actual job so that they don't have to resort to crime? Are so many of them that are being raised risking constant homelessness, hunger, and abuse going to be able to overcome that to become productive citizens?

I think the most horrifying thought of all is that I wonder every day whether I even want them to be productive citizens. Whether I won't privately be even more proud if they refuse to take part in this system and become criminals.

Will much of Gen Z have to become criminals simply to survive?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Most of those I know are already criminals.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I noticed this myself, there are more youths today in prison and detention facilities then ever before. Want to know who's fault this is?
OURS.

Some of us failed at parents, failed by not disciplining our children when they got in trouble, when they acted out, talked back to us, argued with us. We all said, we'd never spank our children, because we didnt like it as kids. I'll just talk to my kid, then he'll behave. Guess what?
We were wrong.Disciplining a child is VERY much necessary to raising a child. Sometimes, it takes more then talking, taking a toy away, a week in their room.
I'm 42, and I remember as a kid, if the cops were involved and they called your parents, you BEGGED to stay in jail, because you know what was coming when you got home. not anymore.
I'm sorry, but we raised our children to walk all over us, because we FAILED OUR RESPONSIBILITY AS PARENTS

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
of course they are, the insurance companies need the premiums.
More criminals equals more theft equals higher premiums.
Simples

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
america is raising a bunch of criminals. the rest of the world is pretty much doing o.k.

of course it's hard for you to notice. americans live in an isolated bubble where they think what happens to them happens to everyone around the globe.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
There is certainly some concerning facts regarding the intent of money being applied to privatized prisons and the creation of new laws to criminalize everything/create new criminals to fill up the prisons...

Wells Fargo is one of the largest investors in Geo Group, Inc. — the second largest private prison company in the world contracted by state and federal government agencies. The group spends millions lobbying for stricter immigration enforcement.

Wells Fargo has claimed the investments in the GEO Group were made by Wells Fargo mutual funds on behalf of clients, not investments made by Wells Fargo and Company.

“We demand transparency,” said Marco Reinoso, owner of Superstar Deli for 26 years and resident of Brooklyn. “I pay my fair share of taxes and deserve to know where the dark money trail leads, and whether our money is being used to further anti-immigrant bills that hurt our economy and lead to many in our community being treated with violence and inhumanity in these detention centers.”

For-profit prisons are associated with heightened levels of violence toward prisoners and have limited incentives to reduce future crime, according to a report by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Link

Perhaps it isn't to late to stop this practice of the uber rich continuously pigeon holing the population for profit and without transparency...
edit on Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:36:30 -0600 by MemoryShock because: To fix a link.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Aww I don't remember what Generation I am in, though the whole x,y,z thing is such a stupid way to label them. Anyways I think I'm in X(born in '92) and I don't have any kids so you're welcome for not raising supposed criminals?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

92? You're in Gen Y, and not too far from Z.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figzer
Most of those I know are already criminals.

Just like thOse who promote drugs, gangs in hollywood and on m.t.v.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Actually, I came to this after looking at situations that seem to be occurring all over the globe. You know, with large numbers of youth employment so many places and the world becoming ever more competitive? With an economic crisis that's apparently sending a good portion of Europe (Greece, Ireland, Spain to name a few) into a depression and a huge housing bubble looking like it's starting to burst in China? Yeah, I don't pay attention at all.
edit on 22-1-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
when your younger, criminal behavior is awarded... not only at home, school too...

let me tell an example...

i have a 7 YO son... he is in the 1st grade...

8th graders started picking on him...
he fought back one day, ended up running home... (his moms house, not mine), good thing, i would be in jail...
not one 8th grader, BUT A GROUP...
they surrounded the house, beating on windows and doors, telling him to get outside, they need to 'talk' to him...

my ex wife finally went outside and told them they need to leave, or the cops would be called...
they left...
then my 9YO ex step daughter was walking home... THEY JUMPED HER... 8th graders, jumping a single 3rd grade girl... banging her head against the ground, the whole 9...

the cops were called... none of these kids parents were even at home...

a week later, my son and ex step daughter were called into the office at school, GOT IN TROUBLE FOR BULLYING kids 7 years their senior...

even made them apologize to the older kids that were ganging up on them...

they tried to give there side of the story, only told to hush...

now, if my son gets told on for bullying again, he is expelled...

we took police reports to the school, they were just like, whatever, its done, its over...

i know its because we are in a preppy town, and we are not rich, but wtf???

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by baphomet420

And that's why nobody cared and why those kids got away with it: because you're not wealthy. And that's exactly the kind of crap that I'm talking about. Stuff like that, I'm not sure that I really want my niece and nephew to be productive citizens. I'm not really sure that I don't want them to be criminals. Sure they'll wind up in prison, but they're gonna be in prison or slaves, anyway, so they might as well take out a few douchebags and enjoy the ride while they can.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The real criminals are the people running this country. Raise your kids right and I'm sure they'll turn out OK.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Lets not forget to mention that the word "criminal" is used VERY LOOSELY anymore...the majority of incarcerated inmates being non-violent.

Were only raising a generation of criminals because its becoming increasingly difficult and impossible to not eventually become one, due the the ever increasing amount of bills/acts/laws being created by a corrupt system. A system that is hell-bent on turning every last one of us into free-labor inmates dependent on the system.

Before we solely blame "ourselves" lets just mention that little gem of a reality...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I guess that's sort of my point. Are they not going to have to become criminals just to survive? Because, you're right. I keep waiting on them to make it a crime for you to live below the poverty line or pay less than X amount of taxes in a year.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well considering that when many of us in the Western world grew up in 'lands of the FREE, where we weren't over-REGULATED at every turn', I can sure see the potential for our children to easily find themselves labeled as criminals.

They've certainly got more potential to get into trouble now.

A new LARGE group of young offenders to fill our prisons, will come from the WAR ON PIRACY for starters!

Once the FBI go thru the servers of the likes of MegaUpload and others that will soon join the list, there'll be a huge list of IP addresses that will be tracked back, and examples made of

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by Sly1one

I guess that's sort of my point. Are they not going to have to become criminals just to survive? Because, you're right. I keep waiting on them to make it a crime for you to live below the poverty line or pay less than X amount of taxes in a year.

Well, in that sense yes they will most likely be criminals but not because as some have stated with their "we didn't spank em enough yeeee hawww" mentality...

My wife might be considered a criminal because of some of the bills/laws/acts trying to be passed that make it a crime to disseminate nutrition/health information/advice...Even thought she is probably more qualified to do so than anyone in our current government.

Its getting absolutely insane...so yes I can totally foresee my innocent 15 month year old daughter being considered a criminal by the US as soon as she is of age to have an opinion...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
There has been a conspiracy to dumb down our kids in the classroom for the last 100 years. They have took away our classical education and replaced it with teachings meant to make us good little workers. Naturally this goes against our true natures (we want to learn by nature), which causes kids to act out and it's only going to get worst.

Look at how many kids have to be on drugs just to sit through school. Look at how many kids can't read well, or at all.

If you want an insiders view check out Charlotte Iserbyt on youtube...She was the Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Research and Improvment for the Dept of Education, under Reagan. Our children and our country was sold out, people.

new topics

top topics

join