It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Seeker" Completed my painting, 8 months in the making.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hey ATS, some of you may remember a while back I had done some sketches and shown some of the progress leading up to this, well, after working on this off and on for the last 8 months, I am pretty much finished- besides some touching up here and there-The painting is about 8X4 feet.

My story: I am 24 now and about a year ago I decided to take my artwork seriously, so I quit my job and started drawing and planning- eventually stretching a massive canvas and going to town. So next week I am attending a workshop about the business of art at a local university, to see what the next steps are regarding selling my work and making this a career. I will be sure to fill you all in with my progress. Please wish me luck/send me your new age happy thoughts lol.

About the piece: (please feel free to ignore this and interpret this for yourself, or visit it after you have looked at the piece). This painting represents the inward movement of consciousness and into the more spacious state of pure awareness. It is based on my interest and experience of meditation, the philosophical teachings of Patanjali (see Yoga sutras of Patanjali)
the eyes- are meant to be confrontational, representing the 5 senses and their outward gasping of the world. Each eye is meant to convey some sense of emotion different from the others. It is the 5 senses and the corresponding sensations which catalizes our ego and the driving desires that keep us stuck in the limiting seperate self.
The center: The colours within the sphere in the center are reflections of the two energies of male and female, the sun and moon, or the ying and yang if you prefer, they are synonymous with the left and right sides of the spine. The circle surrounding his head and the stars within them represent the shushumna, the center channel of the spine. Another interpretation of this is the three layers of reality, or the three bodies we possess, the physical (sun, yellow), the astral (moon, blue) and the causal(the vast sky). Basically this is an inward and then outward movement through the mind and beyond the self.

Please offer any suggestions and comments good or bad I hope you all enjoy it.

And here are the original drawings

Concept 1-

Concept 2-

edit on 22-1-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I remember your thread...

damn..good job..

I love it..

very deep, but , so moving...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

wow.
very impressive.
i love the colors of the circles and ovals at the bottom, below the figure.
i viewed the work before reading your own interpretation and was pleasantly surprised to find that i was 'right.' though this says more about your ability to convey a message than my own interpretational skills.
awesome work. keep it up!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
wow im not an artsy person but i would for sure buy that.

Nice Job man

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
thanks everyone!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I hope you feel very proud of yourself. You have accomplished an amazing feat.

I would love to stand about 10 feet in front of your painting, and lose myself for about an hour.

Beautiful, in a soul wrenching fashion.....
edit on 22-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Beautiful. You truly put your soul into that. Eye can
see it.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Now it has to go on a t-shirt and sold for 9.99...

Kidding of course. I remember the original threads and ...Fantastic!

Peace

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Brother (or sister, not sure), just a beautiful and brilliant work of art. Truly gorgeous. I read your synopsis of the piece, and I just thought I'd share with you what I saw. By the way, I'm a musician (singer/songwriter) and I learned that the way the listener interprets the song is always right in their own context. I think you realize this as well by some of the things that you said, so when I share what I thought it meant (to me), it's just simply that. I thought of this as a man escaping the control of the world. I saw the eyes as a commentary on an increasingly observed society, big brother police state. The circle that he's about to move through represents freedom on the other side of this wall of observation. The man is naked and looks beat to hell, because that is what it would take to get to the point where one is almost free. To me, he's looking back as one last look, perhaps saying goodbye to the observer, and perhaps enticing others to follow.

Anyway, all that aside, I literally never log on to this site (though I look at it daily). I just read the threads but never comment even though I have an account. I felt compelled to log on simply to tell you what a wonderful work of art you've made. I suspect you're going to do great things in the art world. Peace...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Id hang that up in a heart beat.

Very nice work, you got some tallent

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
If you get this on a limited canvas print I will and I mean I will buy it! Even like the first sketch with load of eyes and him looking into the distance Maby you should start that as your second painting and make a series, bloody good work I will be looking forward to seeing your next one

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

I'm glad you interpreted it in this way, the language may be different but it signifies the same meaning. The observation of the tension between going in or staying out, and the possible attatchment to others and wanting to help them is why he is looking at the audience rather than away like in the sketches. Thankyou for taking the time to share.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by birdyat101

I'll be sure to notify you when the time comes, I will be putting a website together soon enough and will post it to ats rather than trying to sell on ats which I am sure is against the T&c

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

Wow! I really like that. It has amazing detail. I love art, especially this style. The difference is, this is one of a few out of many with the time taken to really get the details of the surface textures fine tuned.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Its got a iconography look to it where is he headed what's he looking back at who is watching him. Its got legs that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bakedbluedevil

could you elaborate on that ?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I LOVE this painting!

Great job!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Amazing Fantastic Beautiful Marvelous Inspiring Provocative Wonderful work!

I love the flow of geometries and symbolism you've tied together here.

I'm not sure where/how you post your work (if you do), but, If you're interested in putting your work on the market, without ever losing the original, you can take high quality photos of it, and post it to imagekind
under your own account where it can then be printed to paper or canvas in a selection of many sizes and prices for your fans.

It's one way to sell your work online, though there's many others.

edit on 23-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

Hey I remember your thread! At the time I even shared the thread with a few friends and I now find it amazing that you finished it! Looks fantastic, really an amazing job you did there!
Thanks for sharing! Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
That is totally freaking badass, man.

Pardon me, I have to go mop the drool off my keyboard.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join