It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toddlers & Tiaras, does it make you sick as well?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This is so wrong.

I decided a while back I was never going to tell a little girl or her parents (if the little one was in earshot) that she was pretty. Adults play a huge role in how a child defines themselves. Repeatedly, tell a child they are naughty and that is just what they will become. Hearing people tell you how pretty you are can send you down the road to being absorbed by your looks. This little girl is case in point. Come on now, she is a cute little girl, but pile on the make-up and she becomes a diva. It's bad enough to see all the frosting some women cake on there face, but to do this to a child is ridiculously sad.

Being a good person is so much more important than how one looks. Unfortunately, the world we live in tells us the opposite. Physical appearance can make you popular or have you be told "you're a dog."

Blessed are the ones who don't judge their self-worth by what they see in a mirror.

This Mom is going to get it back in Spades.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I was watching this show like a month ago(just caught one episode with my aunt) the boy pageants were all fun and games and the boys looked like they wanted to be there. The girls were being painted up and stuffed in those horrific things they dared call cloths. I wouldn't mind it if the Girls looked like they were having fun instead of being yelled out and pulled around by their mothers.

I hope the whole thing dies out soon.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'm not too concerned

In my youth boys were in rugby teams from the age of 6, and they could be caned if they lost a game.
So I think there's a lot of gender double-standards and hypocrisy around this show.

On the other hand, some of those moms are too obsessive.
It's clearly not healthy in every case.

I once saw one of those "Wife Swap" type programs where a young lady of 15 had been raised only on looks and these shows, and she could not read or write.
Her parents did all her homework, and just wanted her to be "pretty".

However, that probably only refers to a pathological element.

Generally, I think some competition is good for kids.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Sexual objectification.... vanity... shallowness...

'Toddlers & Tiaras' today, 'Teen Mom' tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Hi HNC and ATSers,

Absolutely...these shows sit too close to the borderline of pedophile material, IMHO. Take a moment and think about how many pedophiles actually watch these shows...and the sick and twisted ideas that are planted in their heads as a result.

These kids are fed this crap (I recently saw a news report regarding the ethics of applying skin tone BREASTS onto these children - I mean, are you kidding me??) before they are old enough to even understand what is normal and what is not. So they grow up thinking this is NORMAL and that they must win at all costs and that winning in life is connected to how they look: how pretty they are: how their outer appearances will win them praise and prizes...and when they grow up, they will find the same theme surrounding them.

So sad...for the majority of these girls will undoubtedly run into some manner of emotional/psychological issues later in life...unless, of course, it is their dream to win Miss USA or something similar. Or if they are fortunate enough to receive therapy of some kind: it is said that the adult the child will become is established and that patterns/beliefs, understanding of the world and their place in it are set by the tender age of...7.

However, it is the parents of these children I have the biggest issue with. They are the stage mothers (and we have all heard about tactics used by some stage mothers) who also benefit from these shows, (as briefly illustrated in the video)...their children bring in dozens of bottles of laundry detergent, rolls of paper towels, toilet paper, coupons and God only knows what else. Cleaning supplies for life for the quality of the life of a child. Nice.

But that is not all of it: aside from using their kids as material draws (product instead of cash), these women (not all of them, granted) could also held in question regarding living their lives vicariously through their kids. It is also interesting to note that many of these parents are, shall we say, not in the best shape, themselves. I don't want to be rude, but if there is another way of saying it, I would. They range from chubby to outright fat. What is wrong with this picture? To me, it is an ugly one...the exact opposite of the supposed aim of these shows...I think??

Does anyone know the point of these shows? Like their Mission Statement? Is there one? Could there even be a viable one?

Just another example of how far the basic goodness of man has slipped.

Namaste.
GI

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Well, some moms are over-obsessive.

However, there are other sports where kids do more dangerous things.

One cannot obliterate kids from society on a matter of taste or fear.
Sick people should be removed, and not kids.

If one forbids this, where will it stop for female children?

Next thing they must get a dress-code, or a burka?

I think the freedom to be gorgeous is also important for all, but especially to the female gender.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It's getting more disgusting than it was in the past. I hear now breast implants, to lip injections are promoted for young girls, toddlers probably too and having to do with the ones shown.
After the Benet murder...talked to an artist using dolls as an instillation to reflect what these children are going through plus all of the outcry and even in the media. Seemed then people took notice about what was wrong here and I thought then maybe people awoke beyond treating children like that...

I don't know the psyche of it for sure, but I can assume and summarize where it stems from...a parent with a deep psychological issues(Borderline Personality disorders, BDD, etc.) with that a parent who probably feels they failed as a "beauty queen" at one time or another. Very selfish, disturbing and sad.
edit on 22-1-2012 by dreamingawake because: more

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
the only time i saw that program i mentally had a certain bear and his seal of approval in my mind

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It is just another link in the chain that binds. The media has to keep you engaged. Like the morbid curiosity that makes most people slow down to see an accident or flock to the scene of a catastrophe, they know the best way to ensure a large audience is to titilalte, insult and or disgust. We are so predictable and so well programmed. Another reason it is too late to break free from the prison that we have willing paid for, happily constructed, and in which we joyfully reside.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I have watched probably two or three of them. It's kind of like driving by a train wreck with all the emergency workers there. You are horrified but you can't help but look. The Toddlers and Tiaras show some of the worst that humanity has to offer the planet.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

disgusted, it has no moral value as with many other shows on television today. I pray it doesnt effect the children who may catch a glimpse why their parents are watching..

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

I thought the goal was to keep the children away from behaving like adults?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Pure trash TV with pure trash people.

I've seen girls under two years of age in the local paper participating in pageants as well ....I mean come on, does anyone with a rational mind think a child of that age would actually enjoy this crap? or even realize whats goin on?

Its for the parents plain and simple, the children are merely tools to live through.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

i almost forgot about that botox mom. god, what is wrong with this country? give your 8 year old botox, that's your choice, but let a kid get a small memorial tattoo for his brother he saw die, GO TO JAIL! sickening.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The only thing that overshadows my hatred for our big government is this show.

I am the first to scream and yell everytime big brother sticks his nasty little fingers in our lives.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

These pageants need to be outlawed!!
If you haven't watched at least ONE entire episode then I could care less about your opinion on the matter.
This crap is disturbing to say the least and is very emotionally unhealthy for these children.
Intervention is desparately needed by someone or something. I don't know the proper way to go about it but,....this HAS to stop!!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadlyrhythm

i almost forgot about that botox mom. god, what is wrong with this country? give your 8 year old botox, that's your choice, but let a kid get a small memorial tattoo for his brother he saw die, GO TO JAIL! sickening.

Yepper, it basically boils down to the message and train of thought they want us to follow...Materialism>Love

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
That girl is 6??? She talks like a 2 year old..what is wrong with her? Maybe they should forget the pageants and get her a speech therapist.

Why are these moms always extremely fat and ugly? Did you see the one with the Russian lady and her strange facial tics?

BTW...I only catch this show in passing--channel flipping--it's like a horrible car wreck..once I see it on I have to see the moms. The only programs I watch and know exact times are anderson cooper and the walking dead

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Yes, it makes me sick, no matter how you put it, or try to find a way to understand a parent that can do this to their own child in my books is nothing short of child exploitation.

And the law should apply accordingly.

Pimping children the way they do in many of this type of contest is nothing but more ammo to feed the pedophiles

I am not against contest to show how smart you babies or children are I applaud children prodigies and the lucky families that have them, but in this type of contest is nothing but making littler girls look like whores.

Sad.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'm gonna go against the grain a bit here and say this is a fantastic idea. These kids may as well get all the attention and praise they can while they're still cute and while the world expects nothing else whatsoever from them. There's an excellent chance that once they're grown, they won't be valued as productive members of a society so this might be their only chance. Also it cushions the blow their mothers are currently feeling, realizing that they themselves have no significant worth. So its one of those win-win situations

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I agree with the posters who are worried how far we can go with interfering in peoples lives but there is a simple solution.
Ban television from using under age children.

Write to the tv companies and use the PEDO word, they wont want to be associated with that....I hope!!

Sometimes it is hard to find a solution though, I'd be real pee'd if someone told me how to raise my kids.
It just shows the state were in.

IT IS NO MEASURE OF HEALTH TO BE WELL ADJUSTED TO A PROFOUNDLY SICK SOCIETY.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join