It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians Waking Up? Voluntary 'De-Baptism' Rising in Europe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Source

Sunday evening youth mass in Saint-Germain-des-Pres is overflowing with parishioners. People stand in aisles or sit cross-legged in corners of the cavernous, sixth century Paris church.

Father Benoist de Sinety, parish priest at Saint Germain for the past three years, says he has always had the good fortune of seeing crowds of young people seeking their bearings or rediscovering faith. But he knows it is not the same everywhere.

Churches in France and elsewhere in Europe have been battling falling numbers, a trend evident not only in the empty pews, but in the sharp fall in baptisms. But "de-baptisms", a church's deletion of one's name from the official baptismal registry at a parishioner's request, are a recent phenomenon, and they are taking place in both Protestant and Catholic communities.

There are no official statistics, but experts and activists count the numbers of those seeking de-baptism in the tens of thousands, and websites offering informal "de-baptism" certificates have mushroomed.

Well, isn't this crazy?

I had no idea a 'de-baptism' was even possible. I have been baptized and even though I am an atheist now I could care less that I have been baptized before. To me it was a strange man dripping water on my head. Weird? Yes. Need to have it taken back? No, not really.

Unless the fact your in their registry means something more than it does over here., because that is the only way I could see these catching on.

Well, just thought I would share the story because as I have said many times before, the more people aginst religion the better for society.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
That is weird

Is it because they want their soul back or are they changing religion?

Me too, baptised and athiest.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Well, just thought I would share the story because as I have said many times before, the more people aginst religion the better for society.

Nobody would agree more with that statement than Jesus! He despised religion and was killed by the religious leaders of His time for just that reason. He only displayed anger towards two groups of people in His short time on Earth - the "religious" leaders and the money changers. Hmmm, which two groups are still plaguing us to this day??? Oh yeah, the "religious" leaders and the money changers (bankers). Go figure.

My understanding is that being baptized at birth means nothing spiritually. It is something typically done by Catholics and is merely symbolic, at best. For baptism to mean anything spiritually, it has to be done of your own free will and after you have surrendered your life to Christ. It also requires complete submersion rather than sprinkling water on your forehead. Baptism by submersion is a representation of the death and resurrection of Christ. I'm sure those more knowledgeable than I regarding baptism can fill in the gaps I've left.

Also, the use of the term "Christian" today has become trite. You can call yourself anything you wish but that doesn't make it true. A true Christian not only believes but follows and bears fruit that is representative of the fact that they are a true Christian.

Going to church on Saturday or Sunday for a couple hours does not mean one is a Christian.
edit on 22-1-2012 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
To go through with the motions, to me, implies you still believe in them.

And I am also baptised and an atheist.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Planet teleX
To go through with the motions, to me, implies you still believe in them.

Hence the requirement that you do it of your own free will. I can't imagine someone would go through the motions of baptism as an adult if they didn't mean it. What would be the point?

Can a contract be made with a baby?

True spiritual baptism is a choice...and that is only regarding the water immersion baptism. Baptism in the Holy Spirit is another topic entirely.
edit on 22-1-2012 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Looks like this is something many of us have in common. I too am baptized and an atheist. Maybe ATS should do a poll of how many of us there are.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This is merely a way for people to opt out of something that they never truly opted into to begin with. If it makes them feel better about themselves, fine but I guarantee someone is making a buck off of it.

True biblical Christianity requires the making of a choice and a choice of the heart not the head. Asking Jesus to save you when you really don't think He can, is pointless. Kind of like calling the fire department to put out a fire that you don't think they can put out. The question then would be, why did you call?

As was already pointed out, Jesus down right hated the money changers, said they were a den of thieves and as for the religious leaders, He said they were of their father the devil. Yep, nothing has changed in the past 2000 years, now where is that cat of nine tails? Me thinks that some bankers need to feel the kiss of the lash!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
You might get a better response and more feedback if this thread was in Faith and Spirituality.

As this forum is dedicated to conspiracies (which this most definitely is not), it might find a better/bigger audience over there.

Eric

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Baptism is somewhat of a forced ritual.
Everyone needs to bathe.
Why would it be any different spiritually?
My body decays, and apart from Perfection, my spiritual life would also decay.
The difference being that God washes Their Children entirely clean whereas earthly bathing is an almost constant need and reminder of our vanity.

I can't take a shower anymore without feeling the weight of my animal body trapping me here. I hope that I can honor Truth while I still am. I am looking forward to baptizing myself later this evening.
edit on 1/22/2012 by Dasher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Any thoughts?

First thought: "Yet another sign of the end of this age."

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;'"

2 Thessalonians 2:3

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

Looks like this is something many of us have in common. I too am baptized and an atheist. Maybe ATS should do a poll of how many of us there are.

Thank you for highlighting what's wrong with infant baptisms. The church is just baptizing unbelievers. A baptism should be done after one already has faith and trust in Christ.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
As has been pointed out, Catholics and Protestants have different positions on infant baptisms. Both groups believe that solid arguments could be made for their position. Catholics believe that baptism makes a difference which can't be erased or surrendered.

But the topic was de-baptism. What is the intent of the individual? If it is to make a public proclamation that they no longer have any interest in being part of the Christian communion, fine, it's their call. The downside, of course, is that if Christianity is true, they are announcing that they choose to be "false," a dangerous position to take and fatal to their souls unless they come back.

If Christianity is false, then they are simply saying, if they were baptized as adults, that they just happen to have decided to go back on a belief or agreement. Not a great character trait, but not fatal, if Christianity is false.

People have always been able to choose their religious beliefs. The de-baptized just think they should make a big public deal about it.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Forgive me.. on this one... today's atheists are jaded cookie-cutter Christians, who also see the big fail in following a giant religious/political entity.

If only the atheist realizes the core principles they are rebelling against, isn't so much as they don't believe in god, it is how can i believe the horsesh*it coming out of this hypocrites mouth has anything to do with me. Hence the relationship with God and Christ doesn't happen, because some DB leads their congregations poorly. thus jading the future atheist against, the golden rule.

If my choice for God was a man parading around telling me how to live, and couldn't live up to it him/herself I would call BS too and maybe never look back. But I did, after seeking in anything other than Christianity I could find for the last 20 years. Ive been a Pagan, an Atheist, an Anton Szandor Levay Satanist, a Buddhist, a New-ager, a Quantum/Metaphysics student. It all had a different take on the same core things. If you are filled with profound suffering inside from not being a decent human being, if being a giver, a helper, a truth teller are your first nature SURPRISE!! you are more of an actual Christian than you realize.

Just thought I'd share that after reading much the same last night from the book of proverbs, in the old testament.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123

Add me to the list as well...you should start a new thread.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Any thoughts?

First thought: "Yet another sign of the end of this age."

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;'"

2 Thessalonians 2:3

Very well said. And I couldnt agree more.

I wonder how many more will fall away from their respective faiths once 2012 comes and goes with no big shebang?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Although i was raised a fudamentalist christian i refused baptism everytime it was offered.. most of the time this led to very akward situations. I thought that in gods eyes if i didnt really believe in him then it was worse for me to pretend than stay unbaptised and be honest about my doubts.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Although i was raised a fudamentalist christian i refused baptism everytime it was offered.. most of the time this led to very akward situations. I thought that in gods eyes if i didnt really believe in him then it was worse for me to pretend than stay unbaptised and be honest about my doubts.

Although I believe in God, I admire your honesty about the baptism.
To many people take such religious ceremonies to lightly.

And I for one would rather have a smaller church with true believers, then a mega church filled with hypocrites.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Unless the fact your in their registry means something more than it does over here.,

My understanding is that in Germany, adults pay a tax for the support of whichever church, Catholic or Protestant, they belong to. You are initially enrolled based on your parents' choice. However, you get to opt out from belonging to any state-supported church, if you like. In that case, you don't have to pay the tax.

That isn't the same as being disbaptized, however. At least not for Catholics,

ncronline.org...

So, we flip from one mystery to another. "Why would anyone do this?" to "Why would anyone pay an avoidable tax?" My guess is that you can always make your own financial deal, if you need some place to hang out. Churches might accept money on whatever terms they can get it.

Beyond that, it is a little dicey what baptism means in the first place. The meaning varies from church to church, but it happened or it didn't. Church records get lost or destroyed all the time, so it isn't obvious that your spiritual status can depend on your paperwork being in order.

If I'm not mistaken, my having been baptized as an infant guarantees that my adult agnosticism, if unrepented, damns me to Hell. Had I been a lifelong heathen, then I might have gotten off with some lesser punishment, or at least have had a fighting chance to be in that number when the saints go marching in.

It seems to me, then, that remaining baptized would be the least I could do as a gesture of autonomy. As if there were anything I could do about it now anyway.

I think the atheists who run around with blow dryers "unbaptizing" themselves look like jerks, but whatever floats your boat. It's just one more thing that distinguishes atheists from agnostics, thank God.
edit on 23-1-2012 by eight bits because: there are so many keys on the keyboard, and it is difficult to press only the right ones.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Maybe this has something to do with it...

In layman's terms, the 1 billion or so "Catholics" worldwide are actually baptized in the name, or key that Freemasons worship as Baphomet. This is why Novus Ordo Sect members are waiting for their messiah, the anti-Christ. This has been the goal of the Occult since the Resurrection - to destroy the army of the Catholic Church from within. Using people's blind allegiance to Rome is specifically how it is being done. Since it is impossible to know if the priest who baptized you used the name Holy Ghost with the right form, matter and intention, there exists a Conditional Baptism to fix this (you can only receive the Holy Ghost via baptism once). It is strongly recommended that you have this privately administered by someone to remove any doubt. It does work and you will feel it take effect. Since the number of valid priests is next to zero, anyone can do this in the privacy of their own home. This is the only Sacrament that can be administered without a valid priest.

Source

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
i thought the only way to get your name expunged from the Catholic Baptismal records was to be ExCommunicated by the church

I smell something fishy, cons are selling phoney documents is what i think...
recall the Have a Star named for you---
Discover Your family Heraldy sign...

What is the ritual for a de-baptism? sprinkle dry-powder to soak up the spiritual water

OK.. i went back and read the link in the OP

A decade ago, Sanderson's society posted an unofficial "de-baptism certificate" on its website, which has been downloaded more than 100,000 times to date.

"It was a joke to begin with, but now it has taken on a new significance because there are so many people who are anxious to leave the church that they are actually taking it seriously now, and they want some way to make their break with the church formal," he says.

"Often the church won't acknowledge their desire to leave."

now the whole thing makes more sense...

the Catholics Parish Churches where the baptism occured would still be the home of the record, and the baptism count is what is sent up the chain-of-command & all the way to the Vatican ...eventually
the record of the baptismal 'name' is mostly of importance to the parents only... the church is only interested to the extent that their actuary tables & enrollment records are up to date because the church & parishoners are a business venture

edit on 23-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join