It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Such Animosity Towards Southerners?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'm from Virginia and have a bit of a drawl. We've recently moved to the mid-west, and let me tell you.. the first time my neighbor heard me use (y'all) and (ain't) in the same sentence, you'd think he had just learned that I moved here from another planet. Slack jawed stare. It was a little embarassing, but he quickly got used to us. He's a very nice man and our families look out for eachother. It's nothing but culture shock, really. And as has been said before, jokes are jokes.

I've given up trying to ask for sweet tea at restaurants, though. They just look at you like sugar and tea combine to create some weapon of mass destruction. And bbq? They don't know what bbq is here.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I think you can probably blame Hollywood for making Southerners appear this way. I wasn't aware this was going on but in one of my jobs I had to try to talk to people in the South at a call center and without an accent they wouldn't talk to me (maybe thats why I experienced it) with an accent they were very nice people.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by isthisreallife
That being said, I have finally reached my threshold for putting up with a specific problem I notice on nearly every thread I read on politics/education/religion/etc. in America: the animosity towards Southerners I see from those of Northern, or Western origin.

LOL
Sorry - - - but I live near and my kid works in Hollywood.

Please tell me you've never commented on Crazy California and the dreaded "Liberal Hollywood".

Kind of a touché.

new topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join