It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first thread. What exactly is ATS, and how can it help us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Hello everybody!

This is my first post here on ATS so let me introduce myself briefly before I go on to my first topic. I was born in Oklahoma, and moved west soon after I was old enough and had the wherewithal to move around the country, I have lived in AZ, CA, NM, OR, AK and have recently landed on the East Coast, Long Island. I have an extensive and ongoing education in the Native American Indian history that started in school, but that I have researched extensively along the way in my search for the real history of civilization. I have been interested in alien, ufo, Sasquatch and various conspiracy theories all of my life as well in my quest to see and know truth in a simple way. I also have firm beliefs on the spiritual side of life, though I am a realist before anything else. I would like to say thanks to everyone who posts on ATS in the same quest for knowledge as myself, as I have used this site for years as an alternative news source, and have come to know a lot of the famous perspective handles around here over time. It is time to add some of my own, and I am happy to get to know some of you through the posting and debative processes.

Okay now to start my first thread I would like to try and break down the living beingness behind ATS.

ATS is a news source for tons of people who do not participate in discussions, as I can attest to myself.

... For a second though, before you start to think about what ATS is in the sense of being a living being, try and look at it without it's own handle. Try and strip it of it's name, and it's colors, images and all of the preconceived notions that go along with that. See it as a great living hall, full of information and perspectives that is constantly growing and changing.

How does this discussion take on a life of it's own? Well I am not going to go to far into defining it for you, take your own ideas and insert them here. There are a few ways, we feed it our words, and it grows and evolves along with world events, discoveries etc. We feed on it as well for our own knowledge and perspectives, in a cherry picking sort of manner. Each of us dives into the realms that we individually are interested in.

So it is a living entity in more than a few definitions...

How do we take this opportunity to use it to our own advantage without letting it consume too much of our time. How can we let it help us in the future in an efficient way? I am sure that most here can see how ATS can become addictive to those using it as a source of knowledge. It can be dangerous to those who are already a bit depressed by life. Too much knowledge of the negative sides of life can become a downward spiral in the hands of those who are unprepared.

So,

How do we take this great wealth and learn to use it only to the benefit of individuals as well as the community, without getting caught up and becoming addicted to the constant flow of info?

And... How would you see ATS as a living entity? How do you see it growing and adapting to the onslaught of internet regulation.

Will the halls of ATS, and it's wealth of knowledge become a reference point in the future that has much more importance than it currently does?

How does ATS bleed out into the current struggle of humans, how do we sharpen it as a tool?

What is ATS in your words, and how does it help you?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
What is ATS? The best website on the internet!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hi!
My own answer is that ATS keeps me interested.
To me this website is like a giant mystery novel full of mini-stories.

It also has MANY views. So it is great to hear peoples thoughts on major news events or hoaxes etc.

It is just an all around mental orgy! I love it!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
For me, ATS is a network of "i witnesses" who scower the net night and day, and report everything before the msm prepares it.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
One thing that I have wondered about is how ATS is guided by it's UFO group perspective. One has to look at the current challenges of humans almost from an alien perspective to get down to the truth of things, and I have wondered how the wealth of UFO and alien enthusiasts has contributed to ATS finding truth. I am purely looking at this from a "perspective" direction as in the accumulative ATS perspective.

Does the alien ufo angle that ATS has in it's corner help it to see and know the truth from a more unattached perspective?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
ATS has actually made me more sane than I was before I started reading the forums.

Its good because the debunkers go to so much effort.

Im personally a believer in many conspiracies from the shadow government to alien visitations. But before I read ATS I believed some far out # such as nibiru and reptilians which I now realise through good information on this website are actually the work of charlatans.

Yeah there is childish bickering between members and more than likely dis info agents posting but I still stand this is the best site for conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
ats is 99 percent nonsense,and kind of scary because of what some people believe in
the other 1 percent of good material is very hard to find because of that 99 percent
edit on 22-1-2012 by three1zero because: (no reason given)

personal opinion only dont ask me to verify those stats
edit on 22-1-2012 by three1zero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
ATS to me is a tool in the toolbox, to learn and unlearn many fascinating and pertinent things in our world. It is a device for fellowship and camaraderie, it is entertaining, both humorous and frightening. It is informative and unique in it's membership and their wide spread locations. It is a portal to awe and wonder.

As a living entity, fed by information and speculation, opinion and fact, hopes and dreams as well as fear and doom, it moves from continent to continent, inner space to outward space, both tangible and intangible realms. I would say it is a collective cyber-surrogate entity made up of multiple minds, expressions and subjects. It feeds on our input and conveys the results, in a colorful expression of truth, and the pursuit of.

Like so many interesting and cool things in life, the key, imo is MODERATION to exposure and participation. Not too much, not too little. And good luck with that here
, it took me a while to check the novelty, so to say.

Great opening thread btw

Peace,
spec

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
think i'll second randals point there, I used to scourer youtube for information regarding...different scientific devices and applications, if I was still discussing these things there I think i'd have topped myself by now, soo many trolls >_>

also if I could star specific points i'd put a million on the fact that ats seams to beat mainstream news to the punch half the time. AND without the bias, mostly...your experience may differ =)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
ATS is the best education on the internet or anywhere.

You will be driven to research for reliable,fact based information.

It will enable you to deny ignorance.

The world is yours,you just have to want it.

Always dig a little deeper,cause you never know what you may find.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
One of the things that I find as a hinderance to ATS is it's name. I am sure that most here would agree that we do not want 95% of the people in our communities around here making useless contributions, but.. Some, if not a great amount of info around her would be a great help to the community around us, and it would be great to find ways to relay the good stuff to those who are not in the "know." I think that there are a large amount of people who would not spend time sifting through the stuff here just because of the handle on this site. Conspiracy is almost a dirty word in the realm of politics, AND voters. The name is something I think ATS may be shackled to that holds it back in some ways, I'm sure some would agree, no?
edit on 22-1-2012 by Quauhtli because: add

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Kdog,

Nice! I was afraid of that. ATS being the best education and all. That idea is more than a little scary though.

I have noticed you around a few times, and have wondered if your name has inadvertently slipped into my head, as somewhere along the way I started referring to my daughter as Kdog. Her name starts with a K naturally, but she's more inclined to like kittens. Huh, catchy handle I guess. She also refers to her grandpa as DoggyPops though, so it seemed a natural progression.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quauhtli
One of the things that I find as a hinderance to ATS is it's name. I am sure that most here would agree that we do not want 95% of people around here making useless contributions, but.. Some, if not a great amount of info around her would be a great help to the community around us, and it would be great to find ways to relay the good stuff to those who are not in the "know." I think that there are a large amount of people who would not spend time sifting through the stuff here just because of the handle on this site. Conspiracy is almost a dirty word in the realm of politics, AND voters. The name is something I think ATS may be shackled to that holds it back in some ways, I'm sure some would agree, no?

I kind of agree with this. When outside people hear that this is a 'conspiracy theory' website they are automatically turned off and assume it's a website for whackos.

I feel like this site mostly isn't even about conspiracy theories anymore. It's more of just alternate ways of thinking and alternate news. Conspiracy theories are just one of many facets of such.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
ATS= Another Terrestrial Server

Excuse the one liner, but it is how i view ats, besides it being a hub for the not so mainstream news, but to find that, you need to look hard and wide and suddenly those threads are easier to find.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Quauhtli

Thanks!

I always wanted to lose the numbers,but when I first signed on,I was ignorant.
Calling your daughter kdog,what an honor!

I wonder if I could get a mod or someone to change it for me.

Anyways,welcome to the crazy world of ATS.

One day I will tell you the history behind kdog ,my real nickname in real life,that is what my wife calls me.

edit on 22-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Quauhtli

To me ATS is many things.

-Its a source of untainted information (in many cases).
-Its my hide-away, my home away from home.
-Its our place of debate, research and enlightenment.
-Its my place of spritually empowerment.
-Its my meeting ground for people I may never of known otherwise.

ATS is the gem of the internet.

ALS

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
ATS is a collective consciousness of likeminded individuals on a life-quest for truth and answers to the supreme universal questions.

It helps by sustaining human ideas and engages their experiences through conversation with the likeminded.

also serves as my breaking news portion of the internet or if I have a particular concern/question about something I can always expect an honest reply perpective.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josonic

One of the things that I find as a hinderance to ATS is it's name. I am sure that most here would agree that we do not want 95% of people around here making useless contributions, but.. Some, if not a great amount of info around her would be a great help to the community around us, and it would be great to find ways to relay the good stuff to those who are not in the "know." I think that there are a large amount of people who would not spend time sifting through the stuff here just because of the handle on this site. Conspiracy is almost a dirty word in the realm of politics, AND voters. The name is something I think ATS may be shackled to that holds it back in some ways, I'm sure some would agree, no?

I kind of agree with this. When outside people hear that this is a 'conspiracy theory' website they are automatically turned off and assume it's a website for whackos.

I feel like this site mostly isn't even about conspiracy theories anymore. It's more of just alternate ways of thinking and alternate news. Conspiracy theories are just one of many facets of such.

I also agree, when I used to get a google link or a link from another site,I used to desmiss almost instantly anything it said, however one day I actually read one, then two......and now I am here every day almost.

What I have learned in my short time here is that some will not see the truth, others know and have given up trying to inform their ignorant brethren, and still others keep banging their proverbial head against the wall trying, these are the ones I most enjoy colaborating with, somtimes I agree others or I don't, but mostly we pretty much remain civil most of the time.

That is what makes this one of the premier alternative news sites I have found in my 13 years of surfing the net. Not to mention th fact, you will almost always see it here before any MSM outlet, no matter the source.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a.t.s is scary a.t.s whoa
a.t.s is where the truth seekers go
give me my a.t.s
Because I want to know
how long we have left and
How corruption grows
here's a new creature
Did it come from an Ufo?
Are we Realy going to get
That record snow?
A.t.s is common sense
A.t.s debunks
A.t.s is human like
And to you all
''Rainbows''

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

And... How would you see ATS as a living entity?

It's a 35 yr old fat guy who works in a comic book shop who thinks that the federal government put a transmitter in his head, so he talks in code when passing on vital information to other fat guys who stagger in from marathon WoW sessions to decompress before launching into further wasted hours of pretending to be alive. He's a vital conduit in his own way of being one, and a good guy for testing crazy notions on. Definitely valuable for fiction writers who have blockage issues.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join