It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.I.P. FileSonic & Uploaded.to ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

R.I.P. FileSonic & Uploaded.to

www.prefixmag.com

So you have no doubt heard about the insanity surrounding the shutting down of MegaUpload, particularly the wild story about how the file-sharing website's founder was arrested in high fashion. Well, this has all clearly spooked other file-sharing services, including FileSonic. If you go to its homepage, you're greeted by a message that reads: "All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally." Not only that, but Uploaded.to is no longer available for use in the U.S.

Wow. Do you think anyone else will fold in light of the ongoing witch hunt? And could a major player like Mediafire go under?

Update: The FileSonic Facebook page has now disappeared. Props

UPDATE: Uploaded.to has blocked all U.S. visitors as a response to the MegaUpload takedown

edit on 22-1-2012 by 3xil3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
filesonic isn't completely down but stopped all file sharing
hopefully not permanently

www.filesonic.com...

uploaded.to... Seems to be only down in USA

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
uploaded.to seems to working fine

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

I got this message at upload.to:
Not available
Our service is currently unavailable in your country.
Sorry about that.

edit on 1/22/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

you sure it says service currently unavailable when i visit

edit down for USA only

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

a tactical retreat to regroup is how i figure this. But we shall see.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think file serve is going the same way as well.......

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Well I'm in Germany right now and I get nothing you mentioned.. hmm.

Here you go a screen

edit on 22-1-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

He needs to use a proxy server , the site is uploading fine nothing wrong with it as of this posting

just did a test and all is 100%
edit on 22-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Solution: use an international proxy service.

Granted, this is sad.

I suppose the U.S. has solved all the other problems like drug abuse, homelessness, violent crime, and unemployment to be concentrating such resources on the whole internet piracy 'problem'?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Well i am in the USA...

Land of the free my ASS.

ETA:

Glad I downloaded "Hide My IP" from a file sharing service before they were cut off to Americans.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Key here is the statement in your country

Like I said it's working fine here.. for now

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by Hellas

Well i am in the USA...

Land of the free my ASS.

ETA:

Glad I downloaded "Hide My IP" from a file sharing service before they were cut off to Americans.

I remember when I laughed when I heard that Iran had blocked youtube some time ago.. Well here we go

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
this isn't exactly the predictions section or even anything related to metaphysics but heres one for ya.

youtube will go, and it will happen after tuesday (because of whatever transpires then, not a temporal referance. [time])

I wouldn't worry about the not avaliable in this country thing either, it'll "catch on" like americanization always does, and the uk will be next followed by the rest of the "free" world.

why I wonder do we still care.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname

why I wonder do we still care.

Because we can't do without it..

I used to be free, when I was a child. There were no cell phones. Now what? I'm a slave to a cell phone and when I forget it home I even get nervous and I do go back and get it.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Fileserve, Mediafire, Filepost, Rapidshare, Filejungle, Unibytes, Turbobit, Crocko, Depositfiles, Uploadstation, Oron, Uploading, and Hotfile are all still online. If those go down, we still have the FTP via the Piratebay and Demonoid. We can also upload videos to Youtube and download them with a converter or any utility that can capture RTMP streams. Gmail can be used for smaller file sharing.

And let's not forget we also have the Sneakernet.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

You can always simply config your browser to go though the thousands of proxy servers out there and simply switch back without any e-drama...

But hey, isn't this exciting, people from america.... yes and as you pointed out the land of the free..! are unable to access non american hosted services...

Oh i smell a cyber nuke coming on...oops and in closing i can only post the most adequate video that fits like a glove to what is happening.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It is beginning!! I am glad I got all the important files that I wanted and have collected over the years before this free information disappears.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by questforevidence
Fileserve, Mediafire, Filepost, Rapidshare, Filejungle, Unibytes, Turbobit, Crocko, Depositfiles, Uploadstation, Oron, Uploading, and Hotfile are all still online. If those go down, we still have the FTP via the Piratebay and Demonoid. We can also upload videos to Youtube and download them with a converter or any utility that can capture RTMP streams. Gmail can be used for smaller file sharing.

And let's not forget we also have the Sneakernet.

Your torrents are in their site don't worry (pier to pier filesharing)
I use Usenet but this isn't the point i actually use these sites for legit reason uploading sharing roms, kernels..ect for my android phone over on XDA much easier posting direct links and for the end user to download directly
and not having to email everyone or making a torrent lol every time i make an update

granted not the end of the world still this is getting ridicules

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

Whatever happens ways will be found to circumvent whatever controls are put in place. There are a lot of people out there more than capable.

The only thing that can put the internet genie back in the lamp is to shut the whole thing down IMO.

The powers that be have found they have allowed the little man access to the 'big internet stick' to beat them over the head with and they don't like it.

Net neutrality is a must. Freedom of speech in arguably it's purest form.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join