It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Alien theories + Autistic son = ???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I think I can add some experience to this problem.

I have an adult brother with autism. He had always asked questions that were impossible to answer.

For the past decade or so he has been obsessed with time travel. If he can't go to the past he gets upset.

I try to answer his questions but I have to admit I sometimes lie to him. So my suggestion to you is provide him with information about his interest but INMO it's perfectly ok to guess at an answer if he gets too upset.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tonya

Holy smokes!

I just got done with dinner and I've come back with a book to read!
I had no idea I would get so many responses!

Give me some time to absorb all these replies and I will write again and reply as graciously as I can!
Thanks so much....to all of you!

~ Tonya

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my post.
I tend to be pretty long winded when I sit at a keyboard, actually in technical terms; I’ve been called a tad hypergraphic! I will try to paint a better picture in regards to the start of this thread without beinga blabber mouth. In the morning I hope to reply to all of you individually.

Before I say anything more, I will say some of you are right, I do to some extent regret letting Cody watch the series. Even Devin, my 17 year old son has mentioned to me, “Mum, we shouldn’t have let him watch that show with us!” So to those of you who wrote thinking it was an inappropriate program for a 10 year old. I agree. I have pulled the (Netflix) plug on AA with Cody… to some extent or at least as best I can. What he often wants to do is refer back to certain episodes when he is trying to make sense of something else, for example the bioluminescent jellyfish on Blue Planet, or the theoretical origins of the first samurai sword on mythbusters. He cross references, you see? Also just to mention, in truth ~ we don’t watch cable TV. I pulled the plug on TV a long time ago. We watch the computer. Netflix is great for hours of Mythbusters, Deadliest Catch and America’s funniest videos without all the ridiculous advertisements.

I hope you will all allow me a bit of time writing so that you might understand us better. I won’t torture you with our genealogy but I will explain an event that came to pass and changed all of our lives. Basically, we all saw a UFO. If anyone wants the logistics and details I’ll be happy to describe what we saw another time and on a proper forum. For now all I can say is, it was not of this world! There was no question about what we were seeing! It was a UFO. Period! And, it was beautiful. Devin and his girlfriend were stunned and speechless, my daughter Amber was crying and terrified but Cody was jumping up and down laughing and trying to flag it down. That night is when it all began for Cody and for all of us. He actually screamed at his sister all the way home because she was scared and made us leave. It was her birthday and we had all driven down to the coast to watch the Persaid meteor showers. Unfortunately she didn’t get a bunch of shooting stars to wish on, she got a UFO. And it scared the pants of her.

Please understand, I’m not making excuses, but it’s sort of too late. Believe me, I wish I had previewed some of those episodes and often clicked off them when they were getting too intense. That show truly draws in the curious and that happens to be Cody’s middle name. For now, I have him happily distracted with the Mythbusters.

So, you see, Cody went in to Ancient Aliens already convinced he’d seen a UFO and proceeded to fall in love with Giorgio, Erik and the whole lot of them. He was sold from Episode 1! The thing is folks, with some of the AA shows, indeed, a good part is pure speculation and theory, I agree. However, at times they do prove their claims, or at least give you enough information so that you as the audience have to come to their inevitable conclusions…without outright saying it themselves. On the first episode they made that golden airplane fly! And this is where it gets dicey with Cody, how do I help him sort the theory from the facts. Well, I can’t! What I think I can do for him is just tell him to trust his intuition.

For those of you who may want to follow me through this thread further I will tell you a bit more about Cody and his Autism. He is very high functioning and has an unbelievable vocabulary. He will not however look anyone in the eye and has a fixed gaze. He also has this sort of no-nonsense intelligence that individuals on the spectrum are often gifted with. Cody’s Autism affects him the most socially. He doesn’t have, nor pick up social cues and he doesn't have any social controls. He is extremely impulsive in the things he says and really doesn’t give a good golly what anyone thinks. He does however have many diverse interests that make it is very easy to ~bump his record~ as I call it.

A good deal of all his interests some how and inevitably come back to the questions that we are ALL in this day and age trying to understand. Such as, the dinosaurs, astronomy, the pyramids, the evolution or non-evolution of certain species of animal, the legitimacy of our government and Obama, Disclosure, 2012…round and round and round we go. Cody has this intuitive wisdom I simply can’t explain without writing a book about him on this post. He really is a beautiful enigma and a miracle and as I said before, I feel honored to be his Mum. However, with this honor comes responsibility. A great responsibility! I believe my children need to know the truth. Come what may. It's up to me to prepare them...but for what?

As for tonight, I have to go stuff the wood stove and hope my pipes won't freeze!
More in the morning ~ Tonya

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Tonya

Thank you so much. We would, of course, love to hear about the UFO encounter (posted in appropriate forum of course). Your story so far is fascinating.

Things to think about before writing out your encounter, and questions to answer in descriptions are:
time of encounter.
rough direction - east, west, etc.
height of object above ground or degrees above horizon, and approximate distance from point of observation.
(ex- hovering 500ft above ground about 1/4 mile away)
length of observation, a few seconds, several minutes, half an hour?
what did it look like? how big did it seem to be? (draw a picture if you can, take picture of drawing with camera phone and post us a link)
did you get pictures or video? no worries if you didn't, though it's always nice.
did it appear solid, or as just a light or did it fade in and out, turn invisible?
did it perform any maneuvers impossible to known conventional aircraft?
did you hear any strange sounds, smell anything funny, have any odd sensations?

Do you recall missing any time? for instance, was it 7pm when you got home when you rather expected and thought it should really be 5pm, and maybe just wrote it off as simply losing track of time in the excitement of the whole excursion?

Thank you again!

and, once again, welcome to ATS!

edit on 22-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Thanks to all for the warm welcomes!

Ninex ~ thank you for your interest in our experience. Perhaps once I write my required 20 posts I will start a thread with the details of what my kids and I saw on the UFO forum. As amazing as it was to all of us at the time, I’ve almost become a bit blauze (sp?) about it. I did follow your art links. Very cool! Nice work! You wouldn’t happen to be a Deviant would you? If not -->> you should be!! I have a passion for the lens as well. Perhaps we can swap pics in the future?

As far as what camp I belong to, well folks …I guess I belong to the “I believe in ET’s past and present. Amen!” camp. Some time back I listened to one of the AA speakers say something to the affect of “It’s important to keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out!” I wish I could remember who said it so I could quote it properly, but that’s pretty much the stance I take when I’m listening and reading various information on the internet. I think I’ve found a place here that will help keep me grounded and supported. Up till now, I’ve had no one to speak to about such matters. So thanks to all!

Biigs, thanks for your reply as well. The thing is, it’s really tough these days as a parent to try to explain to kids what is going on in the world today. It’s hard to tell them there is no such thing as UFO’s & ET’s when there are so many credible people saying “Oh yes there is!” And of course, they knew what they saw had no explanation other than…that was a UFO! Fortunately, my boy’s didn't see it as the boogie man; my daughter on the other hand did. As for tip toeing around religion, that made me giggle. One day I’ll write about Cody’s experience at a friend’s church.

I’m feeling a tad overwhelmed in trying to respond to ALL of these replies.

For now, I will try to cover all of you by saying, if you know Autism or any sort of spectrum disorder, you know that there is something very unique and mysterious about these disorders. I for one do not look at my son and see “Autism”, I see Cody! And in turn Cody lets Mum & his siblings see what he sees and although his fixation with AA theories can be overwhelming and exhausting at times, it is an amazing facet in Cody that binds us all together. I do want to be very careful and not give the impression that I am “using” Cody’s Autism as a focus as to why I’m here. I can go a lot deeper than that, and I hope to here.

I am so grateful to everyone for their attention, advice and understanding of Cody’s Autism and I apologize if I am not addressing everyone directly. But, Infin8ty & TexasTruth I think your posts have helped me the most. Thank you! You’re replies are exactly why I came here! When I say that I have a responsibility to raise my children in “truth” I meant it the very terms of what you’ve both said. I have been entrusted with something very special in Cody, and yes, maybe one day Cody’s single-minded and inexhaustible pursuit of knowledge about whatever has been and whatever is to come will bring him and all of us to an amazing place of true revelation.

Okay ~ I hope I covered all the bases.
I’m going to go poke around on the site. What an incredibly cool place this is!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TexasTruth
Hello! I am a Fireman in Fort Worth and worked 8 years on my off days with special needs kids. That being said, my favorite was an Autistic kid named John. He was extremely intelligent and though i dont know exactly what your child is like I have a pretty good guess that vague answers simply wont do. John wanted hard facts and answers immediately. To me your best option would be to use this sudden intrest in the subject to your childs benefit. I would get him books on Ancient cultures, Religion, Astronomy, Egypt, Myans, anything the show talks about. If he is a high functioning Aspergers then take it for a ride and maybe we could all learn through your post in the future. I know how hard it is to redirect them when they are fixated on something so use it to your advantage. There is a very important place in this world for them.
Im also a fan of the show, but maybe you should point out that its just plausible theories. You should point out some of the discrepancies in the show. Like if the Nazca lines are an Ancient Alien airfield why is every UFO an antigravity hovering aircraft.
Good luck! Let me know if he figures it all out, im dying to know

I agree. Depending on his reading level,which I'm going to guess may be advanced, feed his thirst for knowledge. Especially ancient history.

The Egyptian Book of the Dead
The Keys of Enoch.

Turn him on to the ancient texts.
Ancient Text Library

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I was looking up more information on the subject of your dilemma, and I ran across this list of sites that will give some more food for thought. Enter into your search engine (1. Holly Bible Aliens. 2. Mauro Biglino.)

For any of you that read this. Lets not make this into a theological whipping post. This is nothing more than an informational reply.

Later

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hi Julie, thank you for the link. I just got done checking it out. Surprisingly enough, Cody at 10 years old is at a second grade reading level, but it's not because he can't read, it's because he has zero patience for the English language. The inconsistencies in phonic spellings and sounds make him nuts. Just after homework last night he went on and on about the fact that if an E is silent in a word, why the heck did they put it there! Cody's info comes off the net, and from what I read to him from the library. He's more interested in the "images" and to heck with the words. >shrug< I don't push him though, he'll read for himself when he's ready. I know he can read because he uses the pronunciation key to figure out the names of dinosaurs. THAT he will read. Ancient history? He loves it! And yeah Texas, I do try my best to take full advantage of his desire to learn. Actually, sometimes it's hard to keep up with him. He is always on the look-out for connections to other information on his hard drive. (Cody word for - brain!)

What I did find today at our local recycling swap shop was a National Geographic Anniversary collection of magazines. Included with each issue are huge amazing informational posters. He's got 2 on the floor he's studying right now. Wicked cool!!! I love it when stuff like this happens, I ask for help and it just appears out of no where. Ya know? Thank you universel intervention!

Suohhen, thanks for protecting me from the whipping post! I've been on it before. It's no fun!
I'll go search google about your ideas.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Tonya/OP, what is your blood type?

If you are Rh negative did you receive Rhogam injections while pregnant? Just curious.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Tonya, would books on tape be over stimulating for him? Just an idea.

Or perhaps you could find more documentaries for him to watch if he is better at visual stimulation. I don't have time right now, but maybe search for a thread for good documentaries or search google.

That actually might make a good thread. A list of all the "good" you tubes or documentaries available on the internet about ancient history.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

Nope. O+ and a perfectly normal pregnancy.

However, I may never know the truth about whether Cody's inoculations contained heavy metal preservatives?

Dunno...but I wouldn't change him even if I could.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

edit on January 24th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sorgmodig

That might be the most incredibly ignorant post I've ever read in my life.

And to the OP, the real reason why I was going to post:

Ancient Aliens, although now I view it a little differently, is a very thought provoking show and it is what began my interest in ET's and beyond. I am convinced have I not watched that episode (I've since seen them all) I would view life much differently and I'm glad your child was inspired as I was.

Namaste
edit on 24-1-2012 by dymiox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sorgmodig

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I'm a newbie. Can't help it till I get use to the ropes here.
Was this a post on my thread about MY thread...or ???

Last thing I want to do now is get in trouble on this forum.
But, I commend the moderators for their devotion to protecting their site and it's members by keeping it free from ding-a-lings!

I don't want to be a ding-a-ling!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Yeah, that would make a good thread! I'll start one once I make my mandatory posts and update it as I go.

You know, audio books is an excellent, excellent idea!

Glad I thought of it!

Question now, which would be the best books to give it a trial run?
I'll see what I can find, but any suggestions from anyone would be awesome!

Lata ~ Tonya

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dymiox

We are all inspired by Cody's enthusiasm, but as I said. A little spooked too!
I just wish I could say to him and my other 2 babes ~ "You don't need to be scared. It's going to be okay!"
All I can say is we are a family ~ all 4 of us, and come what may (or may not) we will be together!

Which episode are you confused about?
Meaning the one that I might have referred too previously?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Don't know if you've seen this series, but it is excellent.

The Pyramid Code (25 part series)

Here is part one.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Tonya

Oh for God's sake, ignore all the red flags here. Most folks here don't have children, much less an autistic one, so take the opinions with a grain of salt.

First, as I tell my own children, if you have a keen interest in something, then GO FOR IT!! BUT...I have reiterated to my youngest child who also has an interest in these things, (and also watches Ancient Aliens with me), that some subjects can only be discussed within the home. Your child will likely not understand this concept, but put it in the category of sex, politics and religion. Your son will understand it then, and perhaps save his energetic discussions for home or trusted friends with whom share his interests. I wouldn't hold him back at all, and given that he IS autistic, if he's not fixated on this, then he'll find something else. Just because this topic falls out of the "norm" and is more mature than most of his peers, does not mean his little brain can't handle or process the information.

My suggestion would be to direct him to more credible sources. Zecharia Sitchin and Erich Von Daniken have done extensive research in this field. Whether or not they are "credible" is as subjective as whether or not one finds the Bible or any other book to be credible. But they have done extensive research into ancient artifacts, writings and so on. If you are truly interested in introducing your child into this genre, I say go for it!! Just make sure he understands up front that there is no guarantee that everything is true, and that he must carefully analyze the information and weigh it with everything else.

For all you know, he may be the next biggest truther to hit the scene, so don't squash his interests in favor of what everyone else deems satisfactory. Just teach him to be cognizant of where he speaks about this topic, and perhaps give him only a handful of people he CAN talk to about this. The more you resist him, the more he will desire to go there anyway. So you might as well be the one to lead him properly.

Best wishes!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

Hey! Thanks for your time with my thread and Cody.
Thank you also for encouraging me to follow my intuition.
I wish I had more time to reply to you, but what I will say is, perhaps go back and read what I've already written a little more carefully. I do support Cody's desire to learn WHATEVER his endeavors are.

It's just not an easy task as a parent in this day and age to "rewrite" the history books.

K...gotta fly. Thanks again!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Yes, I have.
Wicked cool huh?

Thanks for the youtube link though!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join