It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost nuclear bomb possibly found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Government experts are investigating a claim that an unarmed nuclear bomb, lost off the Georgia coast at the height of the Cold War, might have been found, an Air Force spokesman said Monday.

The hydrogen bomb was lost in the Atlantic Ocean in 1958 following a collision of a B-47 bomber and an F-86 fighter.

A group led by retired Air Force Lt. Col. Derek Duke of Statesboro, Georgia, said in July that it had found a large object underwater near Savannah that was emitting high levels of radioactivity, according to an Associated Press report.

The 7,600-pound, 12-foot-long thermonuclear bomb contained 400 pounds of high explosives as well as uranium.

The accident took place the morning of February 5, 1958, over the coast of Georgia.

The United States lost 11 nuclear bombs in accidents during the Cold War that were never recovered, according to the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank.

An estimated 50 nuclear warheads, most of them from the former Soviet Union, still lie on the bottom of the world's oceans, according to the environmental group Greenpeace.

Source: www.cnn.com...

I find the fact that lost nukes litter our country and the world very disturbing. What if one was to go off. That is a very scary thought.

Another fear is I bet there are plenty of people throughout the world looking for these bombs with monetary motivations driving their search.

I think that the US should alocate money to recover these lost weapons before they are forgotten and either fall in the wrong hands or go off.

I think the chances of these weapons going off are slim to none but a chance none the less.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Later,
Reason

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Reason someone beat you to it!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think the rule of finders keepers comes into play

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
[edit on 13-9-2004 by intrepid]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
You know what, I think I jumped the gun on this one. It took a lot of work.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by s13guy
I think the rule of finders keepers comes into play

very funny.....

what about a terrorist? how about if they find it. bad thought!

later,

Reason

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
You know what, I think I jumped the gun on this one. It took a lot of work.

its ok.....

deny ignorance....... we are all fighting for the same cause.

later,

Reason

[edit on 13-9-2004 by REASON]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
There was a good discussion running on this back in July. It evolved to cover the surprisingly large number of lost nuclear weapons. Scary stuff, this.

(recent ATSNN thread)

new topics

top topics

join