It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Weather Alert For Tonight 1/22/12 USA!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

Just putting this out to make sure everyone in the affected areas is on alert and not caught by surprise.

A low-pressure system will charge eastward from out of the central states and tap moisture returning northward from the Gulf of Mexico. This combination of ingredients will set the stage for severe thunderstorms with possible tornadoes, damaging winds and large hail from late Sunday into Sunday night over portions of the Mississippi, Ohio and Tennessee Valleys. At this time, the greatest tornado threat appears to be located over eastern Arkansas, western Tennessee, northern Louisiana and northern Mississippi. A strong, long-lived tornado is possible. For a full look at the tornado threat, see our TOR:CON tornado risk index page at this link.

www.weather.com...

Everyone stay safe!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 22-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thank you kdog!
I flagged it to help try to get the word out.
Stay safe.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the warning kdog, and this was originally posted in the Tornado Watch 2012 thread by member RN311. Since he logged off, a severe warning like this best have it's own thread.

It's amazing they can sense this coming. I checked on wundermap and can't really see a thing yet. But it can develop very quickly, when the conditions are right. And apparently, the conditions are right.

And what really sucks for me, is it's headed my way!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Here are the TorCon alerts.

These are area that have the most potential for tornadoes tonight,which is the most dangerous because people will be asleep.

The rating goes from 0 to 10,with 10 being the highest chance.

Sunday, January 22 Sunday,
January 22
AL - 3 to 4
AR east - 6
GA northwest - 3
to 4 night IL south - 3 to 4
night IN south - 3 to 4
night KY west, middle - 3 to 4
night LA north - 6
LA south - 4
MO southeast - 3 to 4
night MS northwest - 6
MS rest - 4
OH southwest - 3 to 4
night TN west - 6
TN middle - 4
night Other areas - less than 2

TOR:CON Value Descriptions
8:High probability of a tornado
6:Moderate possibility of a tornado
4:Low chance of a tornado nearby, but hail and/or strong wind gusts possible
2:Very low chance of a tornado, but hail and/or strong wind gusts possible
0:Near-zero chance of a tornado or a severe thunderstorm

www.weather.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yeah..this is probably part of the storm system that just dumped 18 inches of snow on me earlier this week that moved on and dropped south. If it's as stormy as it was snowy....look out if you live in that area!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Thanks Kdog! I watch the tornadoes around here carefully. Took the kids for a walk today and we saw bees, heard the frogs, and filled up the bird feeder. The feeder was swamped when we got back from the walk with Blue Jays and several other cute birdies. This weather has been strange and I just keep waiting for the cold snap to attack and freeze my budding trees.

Tornadoes in January are certainly not unheard of but still catch people off guard non the less. Eyes to the sky tonight fellow ATSers.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Thank You kdog, I had no idea there was a special weather alert.
Unfortunately, I live in one of the "red" affected areas.
The wind is really blowing out there!
and it is unseasonably warm. Not a good combination for Texas.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Thanks all!

Spread the word to those you know in the affected areas.

It will be hitting us about midnight tonight.

Just last week we got hit with 5 small,but still damaging tornadoes.

This is winter,not spring.

I'm starting get worried that this upcoming tornado season could be the worst we see yet!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
We have had several of these in the last few weeks...we will wake up and it will be 20F by night it's in the 60's and thunder storming. About a week ago it was a pretty bad storm over night..so warm the next morning and then freezing by night...weird.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yes, it looks like it be getting up there..I'm in east texas and its very windy. There be a dust cloud coming our way out of Lubbock, says texas storm chasers.

www.facebook.com...

www.srh.noaa.gov...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks for the heads up KD...will be passing right over me. Wonder if this will be the night I have to move my goats to the basement....

Got a boat load of hail yesterday morning....
edit on 22-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

link   
I have some family out there ..
Thanks for the heads up i will warn them !
Stay safe people.

link   
Use this link here for your local warnings.

Things will be changing as the evening progresses,so keep a eye on it !

www.srh.noaa.gov...

Also another linky link.

radar.weather.gov...
edit on 22-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
How far south is this supposed to drop? I'm in the Houston area and it is a little windy today. I don't expect the dust, but will the storms drop this far south and if so about what time.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Fair warning for those in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas: The wind in west Texas is screaming straight from the west, and when I say screaming, I mean gusts over 65 mph, sustained over 40 mph. Whenever this occurs, it sets up an ugly scenario for those to the east, for when our dry extreme winds meet the moisture-laden low and winds from other directions, you have a set up for violent weather.

Take care, y'all, and keep up with your local weather forecasts for any warnings.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Thanks!!

A relative told me about this last night, said we'd be having tornadic weather today..... then I saw the warning on CNN this morning...

I'm in Memphis, and its supposed to get up to about 70 degrees today

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Fair warning for those in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas: The wind in west Texas is screaming straight from the west, and when I say screaming, I mean gusts over 65 mph, sustained over 40 mph. Whenever this occurs, it sets up an ugly scenario for those to the east, for when our dry extreme winds meet the moisture-laden low and winds from other directions, you have a set up for violent weather.

Take care, y'all, and keep up with your local weather forecasts for any warnings.

Perfect ingredients for super storms...very dangerous. Everyone in those areas, plan accordingly. Candles, battery radios...loose outdoor items/furniture put away or lashed down before it gets to you.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Georgia had a round of T'storms yesterday(1-21) with some strong winds, hail and a couple of torpedo warning but nothing really intense. From what Iv gathered we will have a slight chance early Monday morning for T'storms if the warm front makes it up this far right now 50f east winds at 12mph and drizzle not the right climate for storms thanks to the wedge. For the Folks in the mid south (Miss. AL. Ark. Tenn.) keep an eye to the sky and a ear to the ground

Edit to add.....If any one hears the spring peepers(frogs) really keep an eye out.
edit on 22-1-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXTriker
How far south is this supposed to drop? I'm in the Houston area and it is a little windy today. I don't expect the dust, but will the storms drop this far south and if so about what time.

Im not an expert, but it looks like the main threat will be to the east of Texas today. With the primary area being mississippi, alabama , tennessee and eastern arkansas.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ga-`tv-gi
Georgia had a round of T'storms yesterday(1-21) with some strong winds, hail and a couple of torpedo warning but nothing really intense. From what Iv gathered we will have a slight chance early Monday morning for T'storms if the warm front makes it up this far right now 50f east winds at 12mph and drizzle not the right climate for storms thanks to the wedge. For the Folks in the mid south (Miss. AL. Ark. Tenn.) keep an eye to the sky and a ear to the ground

Edit to add.....If any one hears the spring peepers(frogs) really keep an eye out.
edit on 22-1-2012 by ga-`tv-gi because: (no reason given)

Daffodils are poppin' up all over the mtn up here N. Ga. and heard the peepers last week from my pond...usually those things don't happen until April around here....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join