It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"My God, its full of stars!"

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
With all those galaxies, there's no way that we are alone here. I'm glad ATS is here so that I have a place where I can express that without worrying about "sounding crazy".

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

for real? thats hard to comrehend

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
Scientists just last week said every single star in our solar system had at least 1 planet circling it. I assume the same is true for this system too.

How can you look at those images and not believe in life somewhere other than Earth?

Great pics!
could you please show the source you got that from . im not saying i dont believe you im just interested to read the article

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by YeshuaPiso
I think the latest figure I read said that our scientists calculate there are fifty thousand million million stars in the 'known' universe.... 'known' suggests to me it goes on further but let's stick there with the fifty thousand million million stars...

That's 50,000,000,000,000,000 stars...

Let's be stupid and say that 1% of those stars have planets revolving around them.

And that of that 1%... only 0.00001% have any type of life on them from a single celled amoeba to something much more complex.

Ridiculous figures but it still means there are 50,000,000 (fifty million) planets out there with life on them.

Let us further assume, for arguments sake, that we are in the most advanced ten percent of planets - that still means there are 5 million civilisations out there in advance of us.

Do we really think some of them haven't managed to develop the technology to travel inter-stellar distances?

what a way to put it ! Thank you!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lawgiver00
With all those galaxies, there's no way that we are alone here. I'm glad ATS is here so that I have a place where I can express that without worrying about "sounding crazy".

I agree!!! so very true...this is my fam

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Keep in mind just planets in the "goldilocks zone" from a star are not the only possibilities for life (although this is mainly what we are actively seeking).

We are discovering that massive gravitational forces from planets can actually have an impact on heating the core of moons. There are some moons way out by Saturn/Jupiter (really really far away from sun so we use to think they were super cold and life could never exist) that actually have some pretty insane temperatures for their distance just because of gravitational forces from the surrounding massive bodies. In fact there are icy moons (see Europa) that most likely have flowing water (and potentially microscopic life, maybe even larger) under their frozen surface right in our own solar system.
edit on 31-1-2012 by quimbydogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Presidente

It is truly astounding fact that everything you could imagine comes from the death of stars

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by usfighterNH

My understanding is that keppler will be working its way back through the universe

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Tsurugi

Great story thanks, thought provoking to say the least

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
here is a few videos you all might enjoy:

Hubble images

some really amazing universe pictures

Hope you all enjoy looking at these

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Amazing....

How long have they been there?
How many planets have lasted, only to die off without any evidence that they were even there? Or, that intelligent life just like us faded away into non existence over thousands of years?

Can our scientist really say anything from this unknown planet? Will we as a species even begin to understand what goes on around those stars, or the planets they sustain?

Who are we to determine the laws of the universe?
Who are we, as such a young species living on an unknown planet, to say how all those stars formed?

Nothing. We know very little of what we would like to boast. Is there a Supreme Artist, who watches over all of them -- maybe. Did all of this come from nothing -- maybe. We will never understand, nor comprehend, the universe.

No Carl Sagans or Hawkins will ever understand the laws or structures of what is out there; the earthly rules of physics need not apply. As of right now, their theories mean absolutley nothing to the universe; as time slips on, the human race, and all our "glory", will fade away like everything else.
edit on 6-2-2012 by Chalupas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It really is unreal. Pictures like this back up my belief about extra-terrestrial intelligence: the universe is so vast, with so many stars, planets, who knows what, it would illogical to assume that Earth is the only planet capable of supporting life.
And imagine the variety of life that will exist in our universe with the amount of variables and different ways organisms can adapt to those variables. Who knows about the universe next to ours, but that's another thread for another time

Beautiful pictures, thank you for posting!

Cheers,
Ben.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Audiokat
I would say the universe in teeming with life, it just seems logical to me. There's some theories that suggest life was seeded by comets, at least the bare necessities. If that's so, it makes sense that the same has happened elsewhere. The big question of course is how much of that life is intelligent life. Who knows?

I think life is inevitable, it's a dead certainty, as for us being visited by it, well, I guess that's not the debate at hand here but I often wonder what's out there and what life would be like for another civilised world. It absolutely fascinates me, I wish I was born in an age where we were so far advanced that we'd know these things and have knowledge and interration with other beings. Not a chance in my lifetime.

You mean intelligent life like the only one on Earth that destroys the planet or other kind of intelligent life?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Wow, talk about a thread revival

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join