It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gabrielle Giffords to resign from Congress to continue her recovery from last years shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This is posted on the front of CNN's website as breaking news and says she will resign this week from congress. It cites her website as the source, and I just found the small almost inconspicuous wording on her site. Apparently it is also posted on her Facebook account.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords
I have more work to do on my recovery, so to do what is best for Arizona I will step down this week.

I'm getting better. Every day, my spirit is high.

I will return and we will work together for Arizona and this great country.

Thank you,
Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords

Gabrielle Giffords website

As we all remember she was shot in the head by a would be assassin on January 8th, 2011 and lived. She recovered and has been back at congress for some recent sessions.
Related shooting link

She had just on the 18th of this month helped recover $314,000 in overdue benefits for a Vietnam veteran who was affected by Agent Orange. While I honestly don't know much about the rest of her work in the House before she was shot, she sounded like one of the rare "good ones" there and certainly didn't deserve to be shot.

She was in her third term as a Congresswoman from Arizona. She had been a State Senator before that. It sounds like she want's to return to politics one day, but she is still working on her recovery politics is too much for her to work through while still recovering.

edit on 22-1-2012 by webpirate because: updates to story

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Here in our local paper also...
azstarnet.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Heres wishing a speedy recovery. Its amazing she survived at all.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
She should have resigned months ago when it was determined she could no longer serve the people due to her condition. The only reason she waited this long was so the tax payers could cover the majority of her medical bills.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

Initially I thought she would resign as soon as sh was able to speak as she recovered. But she is a fighter. Read my full post about how just this week she was able to recover $314,000 for a Vietnam vet in back owed benefits. She still can work. But she has shown she could still serve the people in her district as well as the US.

I wish her all the best....but I think that comment was rather rude. Senators and Congress members often miss large portions of terms because of medical issues. That's not for us to discuss in this thread, but it does happen. She wasn't the only lawmaker to miss some time because of medical issues.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If brain damage disqualifies you from holding office, when are the other 534 members of congress going to resign?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
That's her choice. We cannot even blame her if she had done that. I guess it's what's best for her. As a Democratic Congresswoman, Giffords announced Sunday that she will be leaving her Congressional seat later this week. She was shot in the head last year at a public meeting with constituents. On Monday she promises to meet with survivors from the shooting and finish the "interrupted" meeting. Article resource: Gabby Giffords resigns Congressional seat.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I cant help but be surpised that none of the comments so far question the authenticity of the "Giffords shooting" event. Guess since Columbine, D.C Sniper, Virginia Tech and so forth-random shootings by young kids are normal?? What if its all just a very meticulously well planned "act", thats been fooling humans for years? I mean cmon....she was shot in the brain at close range by a 9mm hollow tip round, while 6 others were brutally murdered. Yet the pictures on google seem to be lacking the amount of blood that would be present in a shooting this big.
Go look yourself. 2011 tucson shooting. anyone see any blood? Try and find pictures of the EMT workers, look at their clothes/gloves. See any blood? In this picture, one man seems to be reading from cards in his hand?? Possibly instructing the workers while posing as a "civilian"

www.nytimes.com...

Exactly, "victims/witnesses" = actors.
From Columbine to 9/11 to the Safeway in Tucson,Arizona (so much more)

I think you old folks have your pineal glands over calcified or something, wake up! I'm not even 21 yet. A revolution is indeed going to be headed by the new generation.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by revolutionphase1

After 9/11 you couldn't even google search for pictures of people jumping out the WTC windows...

Media controls everything we see, they didn't run pics. I guess they figured that would be too gruesome

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

How hard would it be to lose weight, cut your hair, and switch up your voice tempo? The frikin mayor of Tucson is Jonathan Rothschild....that last name rings a bell.......

new topics

top topics

join