It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS It's all or Nothing!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

We can only speak for ourselves, FF. Opining on someone else is just based on... assumptions.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I'm not defining or categorizing anyone, or even outlining how one could be.. That is different for every person and dependent on a number of factors, but give time and opportunity.. I could offer a complete analysis with some debatable conclusive results... People are far more definable, and predictable than you may assume, especially in these times.

In these times of "social interactive media" and social networks the vast majority of people are no longer individuals, they are (like it or not) part of a group of "like minded" people.... Because of this, people are easily manipulated, and can be led like herds of sheep to support virtually anything. Popular public opinion is nearly always more attractive than actually having to think, research, analyze and rationalize and form an independent position on a multitude of issues.... And since popular public opinion is so easily manipulated in these times, people can be led...

I know, I've studied it, and observed it... Just out of curiosity, of course.

I began with a simple question on a topical discussion and that was... How could anyone support this?

Of course, you could argue that my positions are subjective as well, and you'd be right.

And I am never wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Thanks,Slayer for giving us the opportunity to share our thoughts on how we feel about posting and what drives us to do so.

I,in general,try to stay with the facts as they are presented to me.

I try to stay away from the political and religious threads,but sometimes just can't help myself,that is, the emotional part of my brain overrides the logical part.
It happens to us all,more so to some then others.

When I'm wrong and showed that I'm wrong,I will gladly step down and admit it.

And when I'm right,and back it up with proven facts,and the other poster still goes on with their view of whatever it is,I just walk away cause then it is just a lost cause.

Just my thoughts on it.
K
edit on 22-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

the issue is one will, as long as you mean realizing yourself objectively it makes the same wrong fact in different shapes, it doesnt matter how objective you sound or how far you admit else existence

right ones is one rights, where relative selves realisations are already existing without meaning it while defending it relatively is right of selves freedom

what i dont get is how people justify being so passionately involved in everything creations or sense, it sound a lie to me

why cant anyone speak about objective facts or truth concept without meaning positive positions from, this is the mystery of such oness as if there cant b any true individual free sense perspective, while it is all what existence is about

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

Wouldn't that be an example of ones own Paradigm?

Could you be wrong or not in command of all the facts? [Even though you believe you are] I'm not saying you are wrong just asking if you ever stop to think that you may be wrong on some beliefs/topics?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks for the reply
I've often felt the same way many of times here at ATS>

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I love the truth more than I love being right.

I make decisions based on the information I have available. If possible I will move my views around and see things from other's point of view.

People are primed to ignore information that does not fit their views. I try to do the opposite. I try to believe 6 impossible things by breakfast. (L. Carroll)

If something requires a complete reinterpretation of all previous information, I'm willing.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Critical thinking and Mamabeth together...hummm?
I don't think these two are compatable.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Awesome

You've been around ATS as long as I have let me ask you this?

Because of ATS and the various forums, have any of your opinions or views changed over the years on something you may have at one time never thought in a million years that you would change your view on it?

edit on 22-1-2012 by SLAYER69 because: clariifcations

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

Critical thinking and Mamabeth together...hummm?
I don't think these two are compatable.

We saw some of that on your Man-Rant thread recently [which I'm still recovering from]

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
debatable conclusive results...

Now that, imo, is an oxymoron. 'Conclusive' and 'debatable' don't sit well side by each.

In these times of "social interactive media" and social networks the vast majority of people are no longer individuals, they are (like it or not) part of a group of "like minded" people....

No matter how much it is attempted to control the minds of a population, some people will always disagree. Pol Pot found that out and so did Andrew Jackson.
(nice pairing, don't you agree?) Then there's time, the Great Leveller of public public opinions. Show me one 'belief' that is universally shared and I'll debunk it with differing opinions. It doesn't matter what ponderous 'group think' is going on anywhere or during any particular era, it's likely that the same generation that buys into it will eventually opt out before they pass the torch on to the next generation.

So, I would argue that being 'like minded' is as transitory as a windblown whim. Right now, I'd like some Dutch apple pie, but, if I always eat it, it won't be long before I'm tired of that scrumptuous nosh. The same can be said of everyone's opinions as well. Over the years, I've noticed members changing their outlook right here on this website. Many are slow to do so, yes, but I'd bet everyone will eventually do a gut check and re-evaluate their long standing opinions on just about everything. That's what makes communication so wonderful.

Of course, you could argue that my positions are subjective as well, and you'd be right.

And I am never wrong.

You've mentioned subjectivity often and that's one thing we can agree on. Whatever opinions roll around in our skulls are completely subjective and dependent on immediacy.

Example:

A farmer sees his horses bolt from the corral (more Roy Rogers) and says, "Oh no... bad luck!"
The next day, the cavalry shows up looking for horses to take (and mostly they don't pay for them) Good luck.
Half the horses come back but the rest are gone for good. (sorta bad luck/some good luck)
Then his son decides to ride one and it bucks him off, breaking the boys leg [real bad luck)
But then the infantry comes along looking for conscripts and pass the boy over the broken leg (oops, good luck)

I could go on, but you see where I'm going with this.

Objectivity is a shell game at best. Lay down your dollar and choose where the pea is hiding. We can play that game, but more often than not, we'd be wrong and out another buck. The truth is that the more it is we learn, the more obvious it is that we really don't know much at all.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Because of ATS and the various forums, have any of your opinions or views changed over the years on something you may have at one time never thought in a million years that you would change your view on it?

Can I answer that with my view point?

Yes!!!!

ATS has inspired me to research and gain knowledge like I never did before.
Ufo's were a very hot topic to me,but now,meh.
There are more important things in the world.

But now,what has really changed is how I perceive the world I live in.
How I distrust anything coming out of the MSM.
How,after all these years,I have been lied to or mislead.
I did not trust the goverment before ATS,but now more so.

I use to question alot of things being put out there,but now,I question everything.

Kind of like when Adam ate the apple from the tree of knowledge.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I enjoyed the brilliantly composed analogies so much in this post that I am willing to concede to your superior wits.

Ah, such is life in an "all or nothing" world, where I am always right and everyone else is either woefully misguided or just plain wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I found this off thread reply very relevant...

Tell me what you guys think?

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

Poster 1: Iran is bad.
Poster 2: No they are victims.
Poster 3: They want to wipe Israel out.
Poster 4: No that was a mistranslation.
Poster 5: Then why do they support terrorist groups?
Poster 6: America and Israel are the real terrorists.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

At this stage of the game you won't change anyone's opinion on the matter we all have our minds made up, so esentially you are wasting energy arguing about it.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
I use to question alot of things being put out there,but now,I question everything.

Kind of like when Adam ate the apple from the tree of knowledge.

I agree.

It's gotten to the point with me that I doubt all forms of Media and from all directions. They all spin it in their favor.

All media outlets.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Etc. Etc. Etc.

At this stage of the game you won't change anyone's opinion on the matter we all have our minds made up, so esentially you are wasting energy arguing about it.

It does make you think who is the real terrorists are,doesn't it.

Is it Iran trying to become a country of self reliance,only to be step on and put down by the US and Israel,or are they a real threat.

Who is the bully and who is the victim here.
Who is threat and who is pretending to be threaten.

That is opening up a big can of worms there.

Guess one should look at the history of our relationship with Iran.
Remember the Iran hostage crisis?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I always try my best to think before I post. I try my best to consider all sides of any topic and then post.

Sure, I have my opinions, but they are formed after educating myself wholly on any topic. If I do not know much about a given topic, I refrain from posting about it until I have done my research.

We all have opinions and we all take sides. But we don't all consider both sides, before forming our opinion.

Quality of your post should be considered before posting. So many seen to think quantity is the most important thing. It's not. You can have a million crappy posts and you will be taken less seriously than the person with one good post.

So I guess what I am saying is. Examine all sides, then come to your own conclusion. Then you will have an educated opinion and you will be taken far more serious.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

You made some good points.
However, I as looking at the futility of the discussion.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Hate to say this...I see it as a cluster-*****...leading to nothing but a flame fest....

To be avoided by me at all costs.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Oh,sorry, misinterpreted the message there.
I understand that ,yes,someone will not read it all,the thread that is and things will be taken out of context.

I had it happen to me by someone calling me a psychopath for being behind Newt Gingrich,and I was not.
I was just stating that Newt was going to win.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join