It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democracy in post-war Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   
For democracy's sake, US must get out of Iraq

Robert Jensen

The US attack on Iraqi has brought the collapse of Saddam Hussein's
brutal regime, which is cause for celebration. For the first time in at
least 35 years, the conditions could exist for Iraqis to chart their own
destiny.

Now the United States has a crucial part to play in making Iraqi
self-determination a reality: It must get out.

(...)

full article : english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:08 AM
link   
But who said we were going to put in a democracy? Did I miss somthing? How can we let them choose their own government and make it a democracy?

Must be one of them liberal rumors again.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
obviously you did miss something this whole war is *supposed* to be about removing a tyrant from power and liberating the iraqi people and installing a democratic government.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:22 AM
link   
again .. please read an article before answering it ...

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I understood that a democratic govt in iraq was the us govts goal from watching the news but i may be wrong.

That is why robert jenson is saying for america to get out so they can choose their own government and we not pressure them into democracy. I see nothing wrong with democracy but its their country not ours.

But to keep another tyrant from coming into power and threatening the rest of the world im sure the US will stay and democratize it.

[Edited on 15-4-2003 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
that the US will allow an actual democracy in Iraq. Instead, I'd look at Afghanistan for a clearer picture of how and why. That was an excellent (though biased) article, that pretty much explains what's going on here. To grant a full democracy would of course mean a Shiite controlled government (as they are the majority), leaving the Kurds pretty much screwed...not to mention our interests.

Whatever follows may have the appearance of a democracy, but it won't (and cannot) be. They really should ditch this idea of making a former US general head of an interim government though.... WTF are they thinking???
Sometimes, I think Bush, Saddam, and Kim would all tie in an insanity contest....

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Well one of the things Bush said before the war was that we wouldn't install a democratic government. We would let them choose their own.

That's why I asked if I missed somthing.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
How about a mansion for retired mad Presidents and dictators somewhere in the pacific .. perhaps on mururoa or something... they would have sponge baseball bats and video games there... along with ex press officers equipped with megaphones heating them up against each others ??

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What good would that accomplish? Although, It would be a good tourist site...

"Get your Saddam foam chemical weapons here! They have real chemicals inside!"(H2O)

"Wait, where did they go! Some one must have taken them, wait, no, they never existed! Saddam still has no chemical weapons!"

...now that's entertainment.(yeah, right)

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Man, reading Al-J reminds me of the national inquirer. I wouldn't be surprised to see an article on Micheal Jackson's alient monkey baby he had with Elvis.

Don't attack Saddam. Oh they are happy you freed them? Well then get out! Oh you are getting out? Who will stop the looting then? Oh you'll stay to help stop the looting? THen you are an occupying force! These articles are set up so that no matter what hjappens they can make the same argument. If the US gets out right away, another military tyrant will take over and then these same people telling the US to get out will blame them for letting that happen. If they stay to insure the Iraqis get a fair gove't, these same people will claim it's an occupation.

As for the future governemt, I too am doubtful there will be a huge success. Why? Because most arabs can't obey the most fundamental rule of government. Seperate church and state. So long as they rule by religion, there will be no fairness. Democracy however is the only means that at least offers some hope of fairness, but it's more in the hands of the individuals than the whole. The US will let them do what they want, but will certianly try to persuade them twards democracy.

Lastly, I wouldn't bother posting much Al-J stuff. It's not real journalism, it's just too biased to be taken seriously and they go about their stories with an objective to meet rather than simply trying to present facts. Kind of like Micheal Moore movies.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Good idea, Al-J is too biased. I don't like their look on things. Makes the US look like monsters.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Sometimes even the most well-intentioned people can behave like monsters, sorry to say that...

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
From different points of view yes. But Al-J and organizations like it are the reason people are ill informed about the war. Any chance they get they jump on America.

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It seems to be a fact that US presence likens to a military junta rule by violence and is incongruent with democracy in Iraq and freedom for the Iraqi people

www.iraqwar.ru...

[Edited on 16-4-2003 by Mokuhadzushi]

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 10:51 AM
link   

quote from the article
Protests against the American forces here are rising by the day as Iraqis exercise their new right to complain something that often landed them in prison or worse during President Saddam Hussein's rule.

But no one here is in the mood to note that paradox, as Iraqis confront with greater clarity their complicated reactions to the week-old American military presence here: anger at the looting; frustration at the ongoing lack of everything from electricity to a firm sense of order; fear of long-term United States military occupation.

Seems to me that they don't get the idea. They should be thanking the US military for allowing them the freedom to protest. What they need to do now is make some order out of this chaos. That's their job, the US is only there to help.

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Uhmm....so they're angry with themselves???

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
They must be. They are the ones who should straighten themselves out. If American troops were to do it, they'd look like an occupying force. They should get off their butts and help their country.

Afterall, they are the ones who are going to be running it. America isn't going to be there forever. America should quit being a baby sitter, it's bad pay.

top topics

join