It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we going to keep trashing our planet or are we going to wake up, unite and clean up our room?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Humans remind me of spoiled, thoughtless little children, dirty, messy, leaving their dirty frap all over the place.

If we as a species don't WTFU and fast our planet is going to reach a point of no return.

It's not the common man but the big corporations that are reeking havoc with oil gushers, radiation melt downs, logging (trees are the lungs of our planet), factory farming and consuming of so much meat that takes grain away from people who are starving, war, war and more wars, polluting all of our clean water and than making the people not corporations pay to clean it up. If this next video doesn't scare you than you are clueless because if we keep going the way we are going what is happening to the people below will eventually hit Europe and North America.

Below shows a "island" bigger than the size of Texas floating in the Pacific that is made up of trash, mainly plastic.

We can't keep going on like this folks.............you've been warned time and time again.

It's time we go and clean up our room...................the only room we live in.

Let's come up with some ideas here.

1) I always now bring either a cloth bag or my own wire roll cart..........the cashiers look at me like I'm nuts.
2) I send happy birthday, merry holidays via e-mail
3) I try not to buy anything encased in plastic or styrofoam (hard)
4) Have a compost heap of stuff that can decompose
5) Have requested a shroud burial with a tree planted over me
6) Planting more trees........donating some to my village
7) Wrap gifts in towls or a reuseable bag, even a pretty cloth bag so they can bring it to shop with

Any more ideas out there?????
edit on 22-1-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
No. The planet will be fine. Humanity is a different story.

If we continue on our current path we'll do so much damage we'll be unable to support ourselves and perish.

The planet will not be concerned.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
While I believe we should be better stewards of our world, I completely oppose one world government. I oppose taxing the US taxpayer in order to clean up everybody's mess. I oppose redistribution of wealth to "poorer nations" from "richer nations" I oppose giving any extra-national entity the right to punish sovereign nations.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Sad but truthful reply...........starred.

Any ideas though to add to mine?

Maybe if enough of us wake up and pitch in we can reverse this trend.
edit on 22-1-2012 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
~this seemed to only practical place to set my post in...i hope it isn't out-of-place

I am wondering..... is the current practice of 'fracking' doing unexpected damage?

consider that Abiotic oil produced from deep in the crust of the Earth has had eons of time
to seek the porous cracks & levels of the Earth geology...and poo; in some places, rise to
the surface in other places, dry up as coal in other places, even get mixed in the oil-shale layers
of very big fields/deposits.

Fracking, which is forceably pumping a great volume of displacing fluids so as to force out
the residual gasses or oils from the strata..after the commercial value of the resource has been
exhausted. So, the exploiter is 'squeezing' the last bucket of hydrocarbon from the deposit

Now... will that pressurized fluid used in 'Fracking' stay-in-place, and will the porous rock
never again replenish itself with 'new' abiotic oil that upwells from the deeper layer Earth
(beyondthe deepwater horizon level or the very-deep wells that Russia has sunk already)

Are the Fracking Fluids causing the newly generated abiotic oils/hydrocarbons having to find newer
pockets of porous rock and strata on its way to the surface?

If so... then oil field replacement oil will be immeasurably delayed.
Then also, the Earth itself will begin bulging in areas where the abiotic oil is being created
underground and pooling up under pressure. Maybe not noticeably bulging, but then the obvious hint
might just be the new strata fractures and stresses that are causing the very much increased
instances of 'earthquakes' in areas that are not historically to be earthquake prone...
along with long dormant earthquake areas in the distant past.. which are suddenly active.

i think i see a connection to the increased volcano activities...
which then increases the creation of more abiotic oil...
a oil or gas that has to find new cracks in the Earth to pool up in
because the older and more easily accessible fissures and pathways to
the older deposits are now blocked or inaccessible.

i also deduce that the Russian ultra-deep oil wells
and the attempts like 'deepwater-horizon' are attempts to tap into the source'
instead of drilling in fields that took ages for the oil to migrate into those pools
and fields of oil, that are relatively close to the surface.

the time frame the apocalyptic books write of as 'the beginning of sorrows' & 'the birth pangs'
are referencing this present 60 year period we are now in.
a period when the Earth itself convulses...because the natural Law was tossed aside for gain & profit
exploitation has reached it's zenith and the planet needs to reset-reboot in an orderly manner

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well, I would love to be optimistic in this thread, but I have to choose between optimism and honesty.

Honesty prevails.

I have seen recent reseearch that was studying the marine ecology, and it says within 25-30 years something like 80% of marine life will become extinct, or a complete failure in the marine ecology will occur.

The reasons are obvious when you begin to look into it. We over fish, over pollute, and with the influx of fresh water from the snow/ice caps and permafrost melting it will have huge effects on this ecosystem.

When we begin to look at pollution, the last time i looked at it, it said we have something like 10-15 years to begin changing the levels of toxic products being introducted into our atmosphere. Planes are the worst of course, because of their altitude.
Once we pass the time that was stated by the scientific community, then we begin an exponential rise in temperature, which is unstoppable. (add*) The likely senario is that this will cause a extreme decrease in temperature until the point of a premature iceage.

Also you must take into consideration, fresh water is beginning to be mroe and more unavailable around the world. I heard a stat that said soemthing like within 10 year 40% of the worlds population wont have access to a natural source of fresh water.

Water is being contaminated, used up in manufacturing, or even being sold. Once fresh water becomes scarce enough, it creates a market, and the ability for those who would commit such acts, where they can make alot of money of the suffering of others.

So In all honesty, I have been watching these things, and have just chose to live my life, because I don't think there will be any changes, I give the world as we know it a maximun lifespan of 30 more years. Likely less.

Look into it.
edit on 22-1-2012 by KingAtlas because: added years to the 25-30

edit on 22-1-2012 by KingAtlas because: add*

edit on 22-1-2012 by KingAtlas because: G&S

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
everyday I will net out trash out of the water most is beer cans / bottles. I feel one day mother nature will flush this giant toilet bowl we created and cleanse the earth!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Also, I wanted to thank you for putting together this thread. I find that the more information that a thread has in it, the less popular it is,

I suppose that there is possible solutions that could be included, but the time element makes their implimentation on a global scale relatively quickly an imperative, and as we all know nothing passes on a global scale quickly.

As long as people are making money, they will continue to grab at the coins and bill as they are being dragged away by death himself.

Good luck, and Nothing to do but just live and enjoy the world as we have it now, for as long as it lasts.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
We could indeed be much better stewards of our planet, there are so many examples of how we are disregarding the natural surroundings in our push for "progress" that I don't know if we can reverse the damages we have wrought.

There are some groups and individuals who are working to combat the entropy of humanity, here is a thread about one such battle.

reply to post by St Udio

There are numerous threads scattered about the forums related to Fracking and the damage it has done, continues to do, and probably will continue doing unless we can somehow wean ourselves fromthe teat of oil companies.

There are simply too many examples of how destructive the process is abound for any but the blind or corrupt to ignore any longer.

Thread about USGS Fracking FAQs

Thread about Fracking chemicals in Wyoming groundwater

Thread about Ohio earthquakes tied to Fracking.

Thread about Arkansas earthquakes tied to Fracking.

These threads and many more expire the subject in depth.
edit on 22-1-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: Added Fracking related threads.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

I'm trying to be optimistic and rallying the troops.

But yes, according to my research you are correct.

Hopefully this scares enough ATSers into action.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

No no no...........read , my signature.

Fight to the end.

Each of us is either the problem or solution..................your call.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'll tell you what. Go convince China, India, Russia, Mexico, and some of the other major polluters on this planet to clean up, and then let's talk. These guys make the western world look like a pristine park. Oh, and while your at it please convince the next volcano to not blow up because one eruption erases all the "carbon credits" and Prius weenies "savings" in pollution for the next decade. Really, Mother Nature is the worst polluter of all, so how about she step up to the plate and show us how it's done.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Any more ideas out there?????

An idea

edit on 22-1-2012 by Hithe Merinos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I suppose if we can all just play a minor part atleast it would still be a major improvement.

Personally I have never driven a car and get around on my push bike the vast majority of the time so thats a plus.

I don't litter, I recycle and I haven't brought any kids in to this world (one of the upsides of being gay)

I quit smoking on new years so that's a tiny bit less pollution I guess.

I'm far from perfect though ie. I still use the supplied plastic bags when I go shopping and still use aerosol cans etc, but the way I look at it is the planet is never going to be perfect and we are kidding ourselves if we think that even half of the population will get to this point.

Unfortunatlely as it stands, there are millions of people on this planet who just couldn't give a fu## about today let alone tomorrow and future years. Like the types of people who go to the park and have a family & friends get together and just leave garbage bags worth of rubbish and bottles and dirty nappies etc trashed all over the place. If they have the nerve to do these things in public who knows what the hell they are doing to the planet when no-one is looking!

Anyway, thanks for the positive message OP!

Even if this thread only changes the ways of a handful of people you have done well!

edit on 22/1/2012 by DanielET because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

economics is destroyin our home. we cannot take more and more every year on a finite planet. something has to give...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Who? HUMANS? Take responsibility for our own crap? ROFL

Riiiight, that will happen real soon I am sure. Let's hold our breath and see? nah!

That won't happen as long as we have a majority who believe that humans couldn't do anything to harm the planet. They don't get it that "yes" we could destroy ourselves with nuclear weapons, and eventually the earth would repair itself, but WE wouldn't be able to live here any more nor would many plants and animals that we now have. That is the point which I believe is missed. Let's keep our planet as healthy as we can for US and for all the plants and animals which we live with.

I try to take care of my little spot in this world in many different ways, one is by growing my own food as organically as possible, which isn't the best as I have to use city water and even filtering it doesn't get all the gunk out.

But I do what I can "here".

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DanielET

Not all of us breeders are disrespectful, ignorant slobs. I manage a restaurant and have 5 kids all of whom regularly receive compliments on their manners and behavior, so I get to see both ends of the spectrum I assure you.

We do all of the things you mention and try to encourage others around us to do the same. Our (my wife's and mine) reasoning in having as many children as we have is to help combat the degeneration of our society, we would contribute as would our offspring.

Small changes can make big differenes over time.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by DanielET

Not all of us breeders are disrespectful, ignorant slobs. I manage a restaurant and have 5 kids all of whom regularly receive compliments on their manners and behavior, so I get to see both ends of the spectrum I assure you.

We do all of the things you mention and try to encourage others around us to do the same. Our (my wife's and mine) reasoning in having as many children as we have is to help combat the degeneration of our society, we would contribute as would our offspring.

Small changes can make big differenes over time.

I wasn't exactly saying that in regards to the "breeders". I was more coming from the angle of lower population - less pollution via the use of Earthly resources (oil/coal etc) & less unrecyclable goods.

But I underrstand where you are coming from too!

Thank god for us gays though. Even if we were to assume that there were only 200 million gay people on the planet (which there is bound to be a lot more), the existence of homosexuality amongst mankind has probably saved the current population from blowing out to hundreds of millions more (if not over a billion more people), and the planet is having a hard enough time sustaining us for too much longer as it is.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

Wow, thanks for sharing that video........if they can do it so can we.

I try and pick up drink ups, food wrappers, etc at least once a week, not much but pitching in trying to at least make my neighborhood look better.

Good video...........................hope everyone watches.

thank you again - starred.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

My girlfriend who is a Native American said that we are like the fleas on the back of Mother Earth and one day, when she has had enough she will simply shake us off.

Good response........................maybe you are right.

However if just a few reading this started to do stuff on a small scale, pick up a paper wrapping here, a beverage cup there, a cigarette butt there, start to buy and use a roll wire basket or cloth bag for shopping and tried to buy stuff not encased in plastic (hard), carpooled more, maybe just maybe we might be able to change things.

I now go shopping with a neighbor, we go together, I pay her to drive because my husband and I can only afford one car but it's real fun, we shop together and talk and compare food we buy..............we've bonded very close in just the past few months.

Thank you for your input.

Hope to hear more ideas out there on how to go more green?????

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join