It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the limits of an advanced civilisation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I thought this might be an interesting topic and something I have been wondering the last few days. I could put this in the “aliens and UFO” section but I am thinking about this subject more in terms of the science and technology.

I think most scientists at present would agree that it is highly probable there is life out there in the universe, far beyond our own intelligence and development too. So if this is the case, could a civilisation not grow to a point where they could destroy the universe? I just wonder why this has not already happened? Considering the chances of intelligent life out there, would it mean it is impossible to destroy even a small portion considering we exist and are unaware of such an event.

I appreciate this question will sound a bit silly, but I just wonder where the limits lie. This is all theoretical of course, providing advanced civilisations are out there, however I am still interested in whether the universe could be made unstable enough or even destroyed(i.e no more galaxies, stars and planets etc)...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
We are the limits. A biologically created lifeform with self awareness and free thought.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

"So if this is the case, could a civilisation not grow to a point where they could destroy the universe? I just wonder why this has not already happened?"

Yea but if the universe is one system , wouldn't they destroy them selfs in the process or atleast have no home to go too lol . Unless they can universe hop

I think they would need a true anti-gravity To suddenly shut off the gravity for the whole universe. With the momentum they already have they wuold just fly off and smash into each other , like bowling balls on pins!

Or maybe they could invent a device so powerful it would denoate in the middle of every star to force it to collapse in on it self , and make every star a black hole . That way all you have is a universe full of black holes no stars no planets

The limits right now would be of our preception of what can and can't be done , according to our current understanind. With that limit we can barley destroy a big astriod . Our nukes are pin pricks lol

But if we ever find a plan that wants to destroy the universe , you bet your ass were going to round up , work together and stick it where the sun don't shine ! lol but then with our little tech , they would press one button and earth will turn into a light show . But we won't go down without trying right?!! earth ain't no poooooosey!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The Kardashev Scale

edit on 22-1-2012 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

No, no, no...you got it wrong.
Let me share my view.
If a life cod develol to destroy the universe, it is also plausible tey can create and terraform the universe.
No?
Yes?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs

Let me share my view.
If a life cod develol to destroy the universe, it is also plausible tey can create and terraform the universe.
No?
Yes?

Highly probable that they could

Perhaps they can use the power of the wind to do it ?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Yep. Earth wind is most obviously their little lost brother.
They will come looking for him;-)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The limits cannot be even imagined at this point in time.

The reason being that we don't have a full understanding of alot the main stuctures of our own universe.
Without more, or even full, knowledge on how the universe functions as a whole, and all the sub-systems, then anything we could imagine would be exclusive to our limited knowledge.

If you add simple variable, it changes the possibilities completly, like, a single universe vs multiverse.
Also limited dimension beings vs unlimited dimension beings, or multi dimenstional being vs singular dimention beings.

So when you factor in variable, the limits cannot even begun to be understood.

As for being able to destroy the Universe, it would seem plausible that such technology would be possible, but that also depends on how well quantum physics and string or quantum loop theory, translate into our future findings.

I think a good way to look at it is tachyons.

Tachyons travel backwards through time. Now, the question that that always brings to my mind is, where did these tachyons come from. If tachyons can travel backwards in time, then what is the limits on this.

So, I think that the limits you are describing, are very limited in scope.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
The Kardashev Scale

But what about type 4, what is to stop a civilisation going beyond just the galaxies.

Also I appreciate that destroying the universe would leave nowhere else to go but wars or even accidents are probably still possible in advanced stages of inteligence.
edit on 22-1-2012 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

At type 4 they become obsessed with videogames? ;-)?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The true limit of any civilization to me is when they destroy themselves, that is the limit. lol Otherwise, as I see it, if they survive themselves, there are no limits.
edit on 22-1-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Oops, double posted.

Wow, that hasn't happened in a while, my bad.
edit on 22-1-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

The Kardashev Scale

Type IV civilization I totally agree, but somehow I can't think further than a Dyson-sphere (a Type II civilization), that is about the limit of my imagination...

but then, thinking really alien, I can remember reading some SF in which alien intelligence was in a cosmic cloud, how are we going to measure that intelligence?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Actually it makes sense to outsiur e intelligence and download on demand.
I am sure they are taping that.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

The Kardashev Scale

Just thought I would add this video of Michio Kaku describing the 3 types of Civilizations associated with the link you supplied.

_______

Isn`t the concept of a Dyson Sphere fantastic - it really taps into that spark of childlike wonder and awe about space.

edit on 22-1-2012 by UmbraSumus because: add video

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
For all we know, what we see and imagine are supernovas are actually far off wars going on, with weapons we can't even begin to imagine.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

Let me share my view.
No?
Yes?

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure a life cod devololing could actually destroy the entire universe. They are certainly very powerful fish, but I think if the universe were to be destroyed, it would probably be by a life salmon or a life tuna devololing, especially since they've already gained so many enhancements from tey's pescaforming experiments in the crab nebula. Thankfully, I think it's safe to say that scientists won't be able to genetically engineer fish with the ability to devolol during our own lifetime.

As far as tey terraforming the universe goes, I think he'd probably have a hard time terraforming neutron stars, because, as most people know, neutrons are the universal embodiment of apathy. They can never make up their minds about anything. They don't even care about being pushed around by a bunch of degenerate electrons. Besides, I think Kefkah's already put Terra through enough. She doesn't need people like tey sitting around thinking about her form.

edit on 29-1-2012 by Nanocyte because: Frakked up quote

edit on 29-1-2012 by Nanocyte because: Accidentally devololed

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Nanocyte

the idea was to think in terms of an advanced alien civilization.
presumable on the kardishev scale and with intelligence.
of the most advanced life out there is intelligent cods, its highly unlikely they will travel is space or anything similar.

top topics

join