It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What horror movie impacted you the most as a child?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by IrVulture

OMG I can remember going to visit my Dad on weekends and he was always watching that darn creature feature thing. scared the crap out of me. I watched a few minutes of one with a scorpion in a shower with somebody and it terrified me for years. Still to this day I look all around the shower before I get in. And I don't get in until all the doors are locked because of psycho.
guess I'm showing my age too.
still cannot watch texas chainsaw massacre movies to this day.
BUT I've read almost every Stephen King book and seen all his movies, they don't bother me one bit.
Go figure.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I guess movies that claim a hint of reality are more scary somehow.

I think that was the case at the time (1980) with poltergeist-type movies, or haunted house horrors.

Before the 1970's horror seemed very sci-fi, but it came increasingly closer to home.

I think another forgotten film was The Entity, where a woman is raped by a violent spirit.

This was also apparently based on a real case, and the people involved with the film certainly felt it was cursed.
www.imdb.com...

What scared me as a kid was hearing from a woman how she had this problem, and she had to go to a sacred spot on Table Mountain to have it exorcised by a "Doekom" (a Muslim-type witchdoctor).

edit on 25-1-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Have you heard the remake of Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson?

BTW: Go Giants!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Jaws kept me (and lots of others) out of the ocean for years, hehe...

I still can't go in a river without flashing back to Piranha either...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The nightly news.

Oh, no....wait.

Thats what gives me nightmares today.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
the move "Scream" scared the piss outta me but "house of 1000 corpses is AWESOME!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hudsonhawk69
... "house of 1000 corpses is AWESOME!!!

Yup, gotta echo that. It was really good. What about The People Under the Stairs? Good imo. The Hills Have Eyes(2006) that was pretty disturbing. I really enjoyed it.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Salem's lot.

Never invite a vampire in.

I watched horror movies from age 5 up. Was always fun to watch with my father.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
It wasn't a movie that made an impact on me but a tea time news item. I must have been about 8-10 years old and it was summer.
They ran a story about a family from England who were being haunted and apparently a centaur came down their stairs and ran right out the front door.

At the end of the story, for fun, they put a close up of a laughing, horned, demonic face on the screen. I fell face down onto the carpet in an instant and tried to dig my way out of the house in hysterics. It was like some sort of fit. When I got up everyone was just looking at me. Embarrassing or what?

Exorcist scared me too. .

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
One of the Hellraiser movies. I don't know which one; all I remember is one girl trying to save another from falling into hell (I think that's what was happening). She was hanging onto the girl's arm and all the skin ripped off. I ran away from the tv after that.

Sounds like Hellbound Hellraiser 2. The one with the freaky Doctor.

Someone mentioned Salems Lot.
Now I never got to watch that till looong after it first appeared on TV, so being dated as it was then didn't give me the heebijeebies. I did though have to endure hearing it while upstairs in bed when I was a kid. It was probably more terrifying than actually watching it would have been.

At that time though we used to live down by a brook near to a stretch of countryside. One foggy night after it had been aired my dad had to go find the dog who had done a runner. He was alright till he got to the furthest part of the pitch dark black ash trail next to the little swamp, he suddenly remembered what he'd watched and thought stuff the damn dog.

posted on Feb, 12 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
2 movies from '75. I was 13. Trilogy of Terror. That doll scared the crap out of me. And Jaws. I lived on the west coast and I didn't swim in the ocean for years after that.

HOLY CRAP !! Trilogy of terror!

I was 10 and that little headhunter gave me nightmares for years......

Race with the devil (1975 also) was scary too but it taught me the usefulness of a good 12 gauge. Although it didn't help them in the end.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I've been trying to watch some of these "The Haunted" or haunting programs on the documentary channels.

I feel like such a nerd, because I no longer want to watch it (and most of them are re-runs).

I think the haunted genre has come out of the cinema and into the documentary channels.

Children watching documentary channels now will remember them as horror channels.
Everything scary from the 1970s, from killer sharks and crocodiles, to haunted houses and serial killers, is now repeated as documentary.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I saw the movies Piranha, Jaws and a "killer bear" movie when I was a kid about 12. For at least 20 years after I was terrified to go swimming. even a swimming pool. Still can't swim in a lake....All Stephen King movies, Physcho, Living Dead ,Chainsaw Massacre, none of them scared me but anything to do with water terrified me.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
A Nightmare on Elm Street for sure. It was the first real horror movie I saw (I was 7 at the time) and I loved every minute of it. I loved it so much that I decided I wanted to see all of the sequels and I loved them just as much as the first one. I wasn't scared at all, only intrigued. I wanted to be Freddy Krueger because I loved him so much. I was in my 1st grade classroom putting pencils in between my fingers and pretended my hand was Freddy's claw glove.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
(Maximum Overdrive)-1986 made me afraid of old rusty tow trucks in junk yards.
(Killer Clowns from Outer Space)-1988 Made me hate Clowns
(Dolls)-1987 and (Dolly Dearest)-1991 made me completely afraid of Porcelain Dolls without eyes
(Childs Play)-1988 Just because it was a Mr. Good Guy doll toy that came alive.

Just to name a few

Still to this day, I Hate clowns and Dolls..Not so much the old tow trucks (only if the tow truck looks like the one that tried to start up in maximum overdrive) ugh!

Peace Out

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerrorFreak
A Nightmare on Elm Street for sure. It was the first real horror movie I saw (I was 7 at the time) and I loved every minute of it. I loved it so much that I decided I wanted to see all of the sequels and I loved them just as much as the first one. I wasn't scared at all, only intrigued. I wanted to be Freddy Krueger because I loved him so much. I was in my 1st grade classroom putting pencils in between my fingers and pretended my hand was Freddy's claw glove.

The kids singing while jumping rope was the worst for me. Pure creepy.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Interesting!! I hate scary movies, i can't watch them without turning my head during the slasher parts. (interesting to note: I have NO problem watching the walking dead, I guess I'm ok with slashing up zombies)

Appantly when I was little I liked them. I was born in 76. I remember watching Amityville Horror and liking it. I remember all the flies on the window, that was freaky.

My Mother took me to the movie theater once. I remember not wanting to go see the stupid movie her and her boyfriend were going to see and asking if I could go see my own movie, by my self. I wanted to see Nightmare on Elm St. She let me. I remember thinking I was the bravest kid ever and everyone was a bunch of sissies. I thought that happened when i was 10 but the movie was released in 84... So was I 8?

My Mum musta been nuts

edit on 13-11-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
these ones really made me scared

the omen
amytiville horror
salems lot
the excorsist
jaws
carrie

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

What was your scariest movie from childhood, that really haunted you

The first one I ever saw - which happened to be Pet Semetary.

I'd never seen a horror film before, and spent the whole film hiding behind a pillow. Played it again - this time with the sound off... and a third time with sound on and lights out. I loved it. I was still terrified, even if it was the third time I'd seen it in the same day.

Don't know if it would have made a difference if it was a different horror film, but from that day on I was hooked... did it make an impact on me? Sure did, have loved horror films since.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join