It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What horror movie impacted you the most as a child?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
One recent movie that gave me the chills was the sci-fi horror Pandorum (2009).
Had to watch it in the dark.

I guess that could freak out a new generation.

Poltergeist II was also very scary as a kid, especially the preacher.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Step aside Gremlins, does anyone remember The Critters (1986)?

www.imdb.com...

The first movies in these series were always relatively scary or funny, including the Leprechaun.
But the Lep in the Hood was just a bit too much.

Critters:

edit on 22-1-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Child's Play

Just the thought of something small and inocuous being in the house and killing you....

I've seen all the movies since my late teens and find nothing scary about them but as a kid....

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by locster

I didn't stick around long enough to find that out. Saw the skin come off and ran like hell.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County

After a mysterious blackout, a son goes out to investigate and captures footage of actual aliens. When the aliens follow he and his brothers back to their home all hell breaks lose.

I saw this movie when I was six or seven and I use to think it was real

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Company of Wolves (1984).

I only saw this when I was a bit older, but the surrealistic imagery, going back to traditional fairy-tales, has never been surpassed.

The special effects were state-of-the-art back then, and it had an obvious influence on even more scarier doggies, such as Pet Semetry II, or the werewolf adult scene in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Seeing it again as a young adult, I was actually shocked at the underlying sub-conscious material behind horror.

Normality, and the family, are not always what they seem.

From that movie I'll never forget the line about the priest: "They don't call them fathers for nothing".
When it comes to a young woman - who is wolf and who is man?
Strangely, it was regarded as a period piece, or a fantasy flick back then.

edit on 22-1-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

The original Time Machine,I used to have nightmares about
the morlocks.I also would "see" them out of the corner of my
eye in my bedroom.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The 1958 version of "The Fly". Specifically, the classic final scene of the tiny half human/half fly trapped in the spider's web pitifully crying out, "Help me...." as the spider approached.

I've had a fear of spiders ever since.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GoneGrey

Speaking about spiders...There was a movie that came
out in the late 50's called,The Beast from the Haunted Cave.
That scared me when I was a kid and so did the Screaming Skull.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Not sure if it's been mentioned, probably not.....

Eyes of Fire 1983

Eyes Of Fire

a very weird film....a remake may be in order....Based in the early settlement years of the Americas...

scared the hell out of me as a kid...i was 5 at the time of it's release, and maybe 8 by the time i watched it...
edit on 22-1-2012 by OneEleven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The Crawling Hand...

man, i was sick for 3 weeks and watched old movies from the couch..

that one came on "Ben Hunters Morning Matinee"

If you have never seen the old B&W original...

go watch it..

creepy..

www.bmoviecentral.com...
edit on 22-1-2012 by baddmove because: added links

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
IT! The Terror From Beyond Space - www.atomicmonsters.com...

I still love
: "The Crawling Eye" - www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Stephen King's "Carrie". To creepy for words. Teleknesis, I almost believe. The psychology of this movie with the mother/daughter issues, religion issues and bullying. Kinda hits all the bases of being a teenage girl. Ok a really really disturbed teenage girl.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The original Frankenstein. What a classic! I was so scared I slept on the floor between my brothers beds.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Poltergeist...
I was about 7. Mum picked me up from school and on the way home we bumped into my auntie. We went to her house for a cup of tea and without being warned I walked into her front room, curtains shut, to be faced with my older cousins watching the ending of a pirate copy.
I was a bit shocked, but it wasn't so bad until a few weeks later when I was stuck on the sofa in front of the news ill with flu, mum and dad outside in the garden when the news reported this new film and showed the trailer, you know with the snowy screen, the little girl saying "They're here" and the hands on the screen.
Bricks were shat for a long time after that.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
chucky hands down, my nana used to run a haunted hayride and she would watch horror movies to get ideas for it. so watching chucky at around 4 or 5 years old every stuffed animal of any sorts that i had was shoved into my closet and locked this included teddy rockspin, though i still that that little sob is as creepy as heck

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

My brother had me watch Company of Wolves when I was 15..... He was trying to send me a message about "purity" and how girls should not "stray from the path of virtue" otherwise they will become "like a beast" and only "crave the flesh"

There is a ton of other hidden messages layered into red riding and that movie especially. They took it to another level in that film. It did not scare me when I watched it, but it absolutely disturbed me!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Mine would have to be Amityville Horror

I remember being 4 and my brother who was 12 kept going on and on about how the story was "true" and so when I finally saw it, I believed it was real and I think it was the first time I was ever aware of evil as a concept. What made it even more terrifying was that evil wasn't just some abstract idea.......it was an entity! I really do not think I knew fear, real gripping emotional terror until I had this experience.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I watched Candyman when I was about 9-10, It got to me, it is very psychological and it scared he crap outta me.

Others that I remember watching young, ANOES. Maniac Cop. Friday the 13th. Halloween. None of these had the same effect as Candyman.

Oh I had to turn off "The Fly" with Jeff Goldblum, when he started taking his fingernails off, I almost quit it when he puked on the dohnut, but the Fingernails sealed it.

I have watched it amny times since, all the way through and it's still just as sickening.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wickedgame

Can't believe I forgot this.

Yeah, I couldn't sleep properly for weeks, still can't even to this day, always been afraid of the dark but this one affected me more than other movies.

Funny though how I saw it several times since and always laugh at the woman having a seizure and always wonder why the main character changed his clothes just to film some more.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join