It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to buy a gun..for protection

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
i dont know what the laws are there where you live. but what if you got a lion in stead ?...

otherwise i would go with something like a springfield 45

www.springfield-armory.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Comfort, concealment, and mst of all stopping power. Join a gun club and send a thousand rounds down range and then stay proficient. Its important to become totally comfortable with your wèapon.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
For defense, nothing beats a shotgun, and they are very easy to use.

I read some of the posts, and while I would suggest a 12 gauge pump action (Remington 870 0r Mossberg 550), a 20 gauge carries brings plenty of power as well, with a little less kick.

As far as "sidearms", I prefer semi-autos, yet my wife is all about revolvers.
Her perception is they are simpler with less moving parts.
Since that is what she is comfortable with, that is what she has.

With a revolver, you point and shoot, if the gun doesn't go bang, you squeeze the trigger again.

She loves her Ruger, and I'm glad she does.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

ok so when a person breaks into your house and is headed to your room...you wake up..grab the gun...oh damn..it isn't loaded..so you have to find the bullets, while waking up, and freeking out..then you realize the trigger guard is on your weapon..so you fumble with your keys to find the right one, then you take the trigger guard off...do you really think your going to be able to say ...no... don't... stop ...but wait...let me take off the trigger guard first?
Get real...if your going to have that on a gun, that its sole pourpose is home protection, then your wasting you money...go buy a bat or mace...seriously..because if your that scared of a gun now...you'll be in deep trouble, if your faced with having to use it for real.
If you say, I have small kids and don't want them to get it...OK, take the weapon and put it up high, out of the way, out of sight of the kids. Top of closet or something.
If the kids are big enough to get to it, then they should of been to a hunters safety course.

You could marry a cop...oh no wait...they would have a loaded gun in the house!!!! Maybe they are on to something here? Think about it.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
If you want a good gun for home protection, right away, get a shotgun. I know you may be thinking hand gun and that's a good idea, but it's going to take you a lot of time and practice to get comfortable with one. Get someone who knows what they're doing to teach you and practice. In a home invasion scenario you are going to very nervous and shaky, so aiming a hand gun is going to be iffy. A shotgun throws a wide shot pattern so it's much easier to hit what you're aiming at. Store it with easy ADULT access in mind. If you can't get to it fast, it can't protect you. Get a good gun lock and actually practice getting to it and unlocking it in a hurry. Notice that one word through all this? PRACTICE.

Stupidly forgot to add, when you're going through the unlocking drill, Make sure your weapon is UNLOADED.
edit on 22-1-2012 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

I agree. Practice until you can do it without looking. Then you can do it fast.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
most guns kept for safety wind up being used on the owner, or someone who lives in the home

I'm all for our rights to own a gun, just keep it in a gun safe or put one of those trigger locks on it

Patently false.

Unless you have stats on the 190 million gun owners and can prove the half that keep them for defense or 95 million are dead.

Utter tripe.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Well at 40-45 they are as big as a larger medium sized dog.

When this one slept on his back he had a big round belly showing...... Kinda snored and snorted too at the same time when asleep. But may be they all do. I dont know. I only saw that one asleep close. Had little ones all over about 15-20 pounds but they never got close.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
greetings lyons.

I would definantly go thru with it especially in this day and age. Seeing as how you have no experience with guns yet I would go to a local gun range and see if they offer any basic training courses on safety and handleing and such. Most also will let you try out different guns to see what you feel comfy with before you buy. if there is anything else i can help with let me kno.

Jrock

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by lyons666

So, if any you have suggestions for me..Please feel free to post..

SUre! Just buy a hand grenade, pull the pin, stick it in your gob and wait.. It will be a far more effective way to protect yourself than any guns you buy,.

The hard fact is that buying a gun is making yourself a bullet magnet. If the SHTF, a gun will reduce your family's life to minutes if not seconds.

If the SHTF, the first, VERY FIRST thing that the Government at ALL LEVELS will do is to COME AFTER THE GUN OWNERS, just as they did in Katrina.

SECONDLY, the USA and most countries will immediately be filled with testosterone imbeciles, mowing down their neighbours "to protect their families" and because " you have to understand that we have children".

Having a gun is an utter death sentence for you and your family.

If you need protection, what you actually need to do is...

- Find a country place and buy it, even if it is just a plot of country land as the best way to survive is not be there when it happens.
- Get yourself a simple long bow. This can be easily disgusted as a walking stick and you can makeyour ownmunitions AND you need no licence.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Remember, disarming someone with a gun is piss easy if TSHTF

The Bolsheviks developed during the Russian Revolution.

Uyou line the person's family up in front of their house then, in clear sight, you spray one of their brains across the landscape every thirty seconds that the person does not surrender.

Once they come out with their gun, you hand cuff the family with barbed wire,, take them to a river, then throw each one in on top of the other and shoot any who manage to come up for air.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dandarg
It is a great idea, I live in England so we cant actually do this shame cause I would defiantly have if I could.....

Much the same here in OZ, I would really like to have a gun as my last resort protection incase of a society breakdown.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

Go get your licenses for a handgun. Of course that is only if you are 21 and older. Then you go by a handgun, it doesn't really matter what type of handgun you buy. Any gun can kill and protect you.

If your not 21 go buy a shotgun.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
most guns kept for safety wind up being used on the owner, or someone who lives in the home

I'm all for our rights to own a gun, just keep it in a gun safe or put one of those trigger locks on it

Complete and utter BS! Such instances are extremely rare almost non-existent. Stop repeating BS media rhetoric and do some research. Amazing crap like this still gets repeated... Sigh

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

::picking up jaw from floor::

Now that is an instructive video!
Amazing how fast someone can close with you and if they have a bat or something with reach they can make it to you even faster.
Since I carry concealed that's one more disadvantage.

Still, I doubt most attackers would be aware that they could get to you that quickly and even if they did the thought that you have a gun might be enough to discourage them from trying (the sane attacker anyway).

I'm sharing with this video with everyone I know who carries.
Thanks!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

The 21' rule is taught in almost every Law Enforcement Academy in the US.

In my Academy class, we had the fastest person go 21 paces from one of the fastest to draw instructors.
The person was armed with a knife, and the instructor has his training pistol in holster.
Out of 5 times, the instructor never made it.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Yep.

Then danger is relying too heavily on the gun, and making the gun your first line of defense in your thought process.

The gun is absolutely wonderful, but what's the saying......... "When all you have is a hammer, all of your problems start to look like nails."

So, you need a little more in your repertoirre than just a gun. You need some evasive tactics, a little hand to hand knowledge, you need to know your surroundings, and know what can be used as an improvised weapon, or cover. Where are the escapes, etc.

For the OP, as this applies to home defense, you always have the upper hand in your own home. Keep something between you and the attacker at all times. Plan your movements, and make sure you are moving toward an escape, or toward a weapon, and away from being cornered. Make sure you are vigilant, but not panicked. If you can slowly get a gun unholstered, or cocked, then great, but more importantly, keep your eyes on the attacker and keep them hesitant to attack. If you are defending your children, lead the attacker away from the children. Natural barriers like couches, tables, stairs, locked doors, make great places to buy a few seconds to get the gun at the ready, and then shoot if they breach the barrier.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

I am not aware of any cases where a gun was taken and used against the home owner, personally.

I have had two friends both accidentally shot with hand guns.

In one case the gun went off in his lap sitting in a car with it.

In the other case a handgun was dropped by guy 1, coming back from a shooting range and the shot hit the other guy in the leg.

Both were very serious injuries. Both involved bone headed errors.

My opinion is that long guns are a little safer than hand guns, simply because it is harder to aim at yourself. And long guns are so heavy that children might not try to play with them. The shotgun also requires less skill to hit the target and is better for a beginner.

I use the kind of lock that goes through the open receiver, like a bike chain lock rather than the trigger lock. I think the bio lock sounds great but do not have one.

If I were to get a handgun I would choose a 45 automatic like the one I shot in the Navy. They changed over to the 9mm recently. Too small I think.

K
edit on 23-1-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

edit on 23-1-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

While creative, I will disagree.
Trying to have someone rely on hand to hand combat to disarm someone armed with a knife really is Hollywood and maybe left to about 2% of the world population.
Kind of like the old adage of shooting the gun out of someones hand.

The idea is to trump your opponent and when confronted with a knife, the firearm comes out without hesitation.

I will add this as well.
DOOM on those that enter my house without my permission.
I will not retreat. They will be confronted with the business end of a firearm and dispatched if needed.

edit on 23-1-2012 by macman because: Addition

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Oh, I agree, I'm not saying a housewife should try to defeat a knife-wielder in hand to hand combat, I'm just saying she (and anyone else) should be aware of the whole situation, and not just reach for a gun on first instinct, especially If the gun is locked up, or unloaded, or unchambered, or if someone is unfamiliar with its use, then just reaching for the gun will probably get them killed.

If you can get the gun, and have it loaded, and ready to fire, before the perpertrator is standing in front of you then terrific! The original story of the woman defending her baby, the perpetrators were outside trying to get in for some period of time, and she was able to have the gun, and be ready to use it, and call 911. That is the perfect way to handle the situation if there is time.

But, contrast that with waking in the middle of the night, to a knife wielder in your bedroom, and the gun is in the nightstand, and there is not a round in the chamber, in that situation reaching for the gun just gets you stabbed, you might want to pretend to still be asleep while you get ready to use a pillow as a shield, or kick and run, or dive into the closet and start tossing shoes, LOL!

So, I completely agree with you, but I think it is important for people to not rely so heavily on the gun that they forget to take in their surroundings, and keep thinking to devise a plan of action that benefits them and hinders their attacker. Obstacles, barriers, and escape routes are much more important than just grabbing a gun unless the perpetrator is still outside of a locked door, or out of sight, and then grabbing the gun should be first and foremost.

Also, along those lines of thinking, there is a lot of benefit to a Revolver. Grab, point and squeeze. Still, if someone has children at home, then it becomes a whole lifestyle change, with risks associated. My guns are in a locked gunsafe, except for my daily carry. It is on my person or, once the kids are tucked into bed, it is on top of my dresser well out of reach of the kids, but accessible once I pop out of bed. I don't feel comfortable having it within reach during the night, because the dog and the kids make all kinds of strange commotions, and I want to be fully conscious before I grab the gun. So, next to my bed is an extremly hard Hickory Cane, with a loop on one end and a nice blunt point on the other. If I'm startled out of my slumber, it is pop up and take one step to the gun, but if someone is already entering the room when I am startled, the cane is there to create distance and pain while I grab the gun.

So, for a woman at home, do they lock it up, and then unlock it at night? Do they just spend the money to get a good biolock safe for next to the bed? How can they have it both extremely safe from small kids, and also very quickly accessible. It is a challenge. Even a daily concealed carry is a challenge. If someone pops out of a doorway and puts a knife to your back, a gun in your armpit is not immediately useful, you have to devise a plan to create the distance and distraction needed to access the gun.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Go to the range .. try a few out ... that's what we did. We settled on a Glock 45 (short) for my husband and I got a Glock 9 mil for me. (he got the 'guy' gun and I got the 'girlie' gun ... it was sooooo romantic ! but that's another story!
)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join