It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to buy a gun..for protection

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

LOL, I would have wanted my mossberg for that one.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lyons666
Oh..My size is 5.4 140 pounds, not very big but I am quite strong. Thats why I said I was afraid of the "boom" that might knock me on my feet..
Consider the .410 shotgun and a .380 then. Both are very respectable weapons that you should be able to handle without fear.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
u can also start with basic things like BAT, pepper spray, alarm, hunting/survial knife, etc before making the leap to a gun

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

That is not the question asked.
Good lord, can we just get one thread that stays on topic, without the Anti crowd slimming in?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperTripps
u can also start with basic things like BAT, pepper spray, alarm, hunting/survial knife, etc before making the leap to a gun

Why?
Bat: Ever tried to swing one in close quarters like a tight hallway?
Pepper spray: In a house? Please have everyone else go out for awhile. Now shoot your spray several times like in a confrontation. How long can you stay in the room where it was sprayed?
Alarm: Ok, but then what? Perp shoots you then leaves
Knife: She is 5'4" and light weight. The knife will be taken from her and used against her. Knives really require quite a bit of training for effective use.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

With that said, I would go with either a 12g or 20g shotgun.

The racking sound of a shotgun will send most evil doers in the opposite direction.

Given your stature, I would suggest a 20g, but a 12 might be fine.
I would suggest a barrel in the 18" length, with a nice rubber butt plate added.

Mossberg makes a nice shotgun, the 500 model.
Remington Express 800 series is nice as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

So your buying your first gun hm? Well after I read your post, I see your new at owning or using firearms. First I recommend going to a gunrange and renting a gun find somthing that feels "right" I prefer a .45 caliber Para USA GI Expert its heavy (in a good way :lol
easy to use handle and comes customized with all I need to learn to be a better shot.

For you I think a revolver is a good start. Get one with a hammer. I know everybody says hammerless for concelment, but for a new shooter I say get one with a hammer, you can fire it single action- pulling the hammer back each shot to improve accuracy- or double action- pull the trigger and BOOM!

Semi-auto pistols are the next step up- I use a .45, I recommend a 9mm for beginners ammo's inexpensive lower recoil and larger magazine.

For something farther off to shoot. A good shotgun for homedefense OR visit my thread I can show you how to get an AR-15 (m16) for 650 dollars.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
In response to the use of a bat and pepper spray..I have two bats one by the front door and one by the back,(which I thought could easily be taken out of my hands) but have no pepper spray (although wasp spray is readily available at all times(im sure that would temporarily blind and sting if aimed into the face. I will use anything I get my hands on first.Including a lighter and hairspray, OUCH!!! lol
But, on the other hand a gun is something I can stand at a distance with and aim to shoot, kill or scare someone off with one or two shots. On the advise of one of the posters here, I would probably have shoot to kill being that I would be quite afraid of them coming back..
A gun is a big responsibility, i know...But I think in these times we live in and the rural area i'm in, I want fast protection...I may not be able to wait for police to arrive. Like the young woman I mentioned in my first post, she is a brave heart and I give her big applause on taking action in order to protect herself and that baby.
Never underestimate the power of a woman.......We can be ruthless when it comes to our babies.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Never underestimate the power of a woman.......We can be ruthless when it comes to our babies.
It is one of your gender's most endearing qualities imo.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Do everything GRA suggests EXCEPT: do not buy a cheap off-brand handgun (hi-point for instance). Your gun dealer can steer you in the right direction.
Any semi-auto pistol you buy will take about 50 rounds to be broken in well enough to ensure proper feeding.

A handgun can protect you while traveling or at home which is why I would recommend it over a shotgun.

Ox

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I agree with Macman. Something you're comfortable with. Remember it's a weapon, any intruder with any form of sense looking down the barrel of ANY pistol/rifle will back down, if not that's their fault.
My own personal home security system is a Sig Sauer P226. It's reliable, easy to handle and I know it will stop anything I fire it at.

Good luck in your choices.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Check some of your local indoor pistol ranges, some of them have guns you can try out or go with some friends who own guns and try theirs. At least you will have a starting point to go by.
A shotgun is always good for close range at home but cumbersome to carry around if looking for survival outside.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I m going to be getting Winchester here in the next week so I can protect the ones I love. Heavy knock down ultimate accuracy.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I want to buy a gun too...but I can't because the federal government says I can't own one!

Little do they know I have quite a collection of rifles, handguns, shotguns, and black powders (I bought all these before they decided I could not own a gun)!

Still though...I would love to buy another gun (actually a few of them)...my right to bear arms given to be by my founding fathers has been stripped away from me...never to be returned!

Nowhere in the second amendment does it say they can revoke my right to arms...but they did...bastards!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Nowhere in the second amendment does it say they can revoke my right to arms...but they did...bastards!

Then it isn't a right. It is a privilege.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

True, the brand is somewhat important, but there are many less expensive brands that make high quality handguns. Springfield Armory, and Bersa, and Saiga make very reliable guns without paying the premium price for Kimber or Smith and Wesson, etc.

To be honest, my Mossberg Shotgun is both a name brand, and was also the cheapest available at the time, so it is possible to get the best of both worlds.

Someone else mentioned Ammo. Hollow Points are great. There are more sophisticated "frangibles" available now without too much added cost. I've been using Extreme Shock. It guarantees no pass-through and maximum knockdown power.

As for the shotgun in the home. I load mine with 2 very light bird shots, then a heavy shot, then slugs. I also have a very bright xenon light on my shotgun. It is bright enough to be disorienting to an attacker in the dark, and it guarantees I will have positive identification of my target without a doubt before I shoot. The light birdshot will not penetrate my inside walls, but it will spread out to clear a hallway, and I know I will at least catch a piece of my intended target, even if I have to shoot from the hip.

As I said in my original post though, all of this is just icing on the cake. Having a gun, and knowing how to use it, and being responsible, and staying comfortable and in practice is the absolute most important thing. If you have a gun, and a plan on how to react to a situation, and you are comfortable in shooting the weapon, then you will have a much, much better chance of being successful.

One more thing, a gun is GREAT, but it does not make one invincible. This video pops up on ATS every now and then, and I have posted it on FB also. An attack takes place much, much quicker than people can anticipate, and one must take every precaution to either already have the gun ready to fire, or be able to fend off an attacker some other way. Once the person is in the same room with you, it is probably too late to reach for the gun, so it becomes that much more important to be vigilant, and have a plan in your mind ahead of time. Here is the video of a knife wielder defeating trained law enforcement over and over again. Never think a gun automatically wins. The winner is the one that anticipates the situation and has planned accordingly.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

In this time and age everyone is in survival mode, so being a single mom I am now ready to start thinking of purchasing a gun to protect me and my family. The thing is...I dont know where to start. What kind of gun, where to go, should I get lessons on how to use it, and so on. I know very little about guns and have never in my life used one or touched one. I have always feared guns and even more so now that i have kids because of accidents that have happened in families owning guns. I know I would have to lock it up for sure.
But I would rather have one in an extreme situation where I would have to protect my family.
I read about the young woman who shot and killed an intruder in Oklahoma early Jan. This makes me think even more that it is a good idea for me and the protection of my family to put away my fear of guns and go out buy one.
So, if any you have suggestions for me..Please feel free to post..
I am a bit leery of this idea, but I know it is important to be prepared for anything these days....
edit on 22-1-2012 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

Go take a hunters safety course first. Then find out where a shooting school is and get a very basic course, you will need to make sure that you can rent the weapons you need to use....the instructors will help you find out what type, kind, and caliber of a weapon you would be good shooting, due to pistol grip sizes, frame sizes...anyway, after you get the basic's...and figure out what weapon is best for YOU...then you go get it, and use it for the next course you take.
It shouldn't take long and you'll be good to go...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Congrats and good decision. Some good advice already given to you get training etc. You will enjoy shooting and the fear will disappear. One point I would like to make regarding home protection. The women who defend herself that inspired you to overcome your fears and think logically about protecting your family DID NOT HAVE HER WEAPON LOCKED UP! If she did we may have read an entirely different outcome such as her being raped and killed and god knows what would have happened to the child.

So lets be realistic. It is fine to lock guns up that are not in use or when or out of your immediate control but for personal and home protection you must have quick easy access to your weapon at all times in an instant. The man that young mother shot broke into her home with a knife. Do you think she would have had time to unlock a safe or trigger lock? No of course not.

Accidental shootings in families are extremely rare and the media sensationalizes them and provokes irrational fears. Don't let irrational fears put you and your childs life in danger. If the child is old enough they should also be taught to shoot. There are cases where a child saved thier mother or family member from being raped or killed using a gun. Also it teaches them respect for the awesome power of a firearm. If they are not old enough but close they should at least be present for some shooting so they can see what happens when a firearm is used. Guns can be kept out of reach or hidden from children without being locked up yet within access if needed of course the best place is on your person where you are always in controls of the weapon.

So you have overcome one irrational fear using logic don't let another one render your protection useless. Good luck and have fun learning to shoot.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
One more thing to know.

In the example you sighted victim was on the phone with 911 asking if it was ok to shoot.

Suggest you get familiar with your local laws in advance.

Texas might be one of those places where you can "shoot em on the porch".

Here is one of the threads on ATS discussing that topic

ATS Castle Doctrine Thread

And one more

ATS Permission to shoot thread
edit on 22-1-2012 by kawika because: added link

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
most guns kept for safety wind up being used on the owner, or someone who lives in the home

I'm all for our rights to own a gun, just keep it in a gun safe or put one of those trigger locks on it

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join