It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to buy a gun..for protection

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by PosterNutbag

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
In Florida, they have a concealed carry class that gives you basic familiarity. Also many of the ranges allow you to rent guns in order to become familiar with them. If you have no familiarity with weapons at all, I recommend you stay away from single action pistols like the Colt .45. Go for a double action so you don't have to remember to cock the hammer back before being able to fire. For home defense, shotguns are great, but be aware that they can shoot through most walls in your home. A better choice would be a .357 magnum with frangible ammunition(try to get lead free). I recommend frangible ONLY because of your lack of experience and out of concern for others who may be in your home. The only time I would choose frangible ammo is while on an airplane. Once you gain experience and confidence switch to hollow point rounds.

No,no,no. A shotgun most likely won't go through a wall. A .357? buddy, that will go through a person, through the wall, through your neighbor across the streets wall and end up in a tree on the other side. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Do you know what frangible ammunition is? Please research it before spouting off. 12 gauge slugs and 00 buck most certainly CAN shoot through walls(especially most interior walls) and most doors.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Good for You.

I do have a bit of advice, but first you need to decide the purpose of the tool.

Home defense only. Not to be carried outside the home in normal circumstances.

Choice would be a 20 gauge shot gun, loaded with single 0 2 ¾ shells. Powerful enough for deadly force at close range, but not so powerful that it will pass through the house, does not need aiming, just point and shoot. Just the sound of a shell being chambered will stop an intruder.
Good choice is a Marlin Youth 500, 20ga
Cost around $225.00 new
This is a small frame pump action shotgun. Legal in all 50 states, with proper registration.

Next, will the weapon sometimes be carried outside the home ?

This is best fulfilled by a Hand gun.

Best choice for a woman is a .380 automatic.

This is a British Officers side arm.

Small caliber, so no “Kick” what-so-ever, very actuate at close range, inexpensive, and most of the models available will house 12 bullets.

Let me warn you off of any caliber larger than a 38. The kick from larger pistols sometimes can make the weapon jump out of your hand. 38special may be to large.

A 22 caliber pistol is not large enough to do more than make the intruder angry, and without a well placed shot will not deter an attack.

The store where you make your purchase will be able to direct you to a certified trainer.

Most of the trainers in my area are the local policemen moonlighting as weapon trainers. I find this a excellent method to get the “real” story of your area, and network with the local police.

The shotgun needs no training, just information on how to load, how the “safety” operates, and you already know how to point, and pull a trigger.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
X10,000 on the biometric gun safe.

You should always have one if you have young children in the home, or a regular safe if you have visiting children.

I cant stress that strongly enough. Training comes first. Then go to a rental range. they will assist you in finding the proper weapon for your abilities and skill. You can try as many as you like/can afford ammo to try. You will probably find .38 or 9mm is about right. Try to find a model in stainless steel to cut down on cleaning and care.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

Dear lyons666,

In this time and age everyone is in survival mode, so being a single mom I am now ready to start thinking of purchasing a gun to protect me and my family. The thing is...I dont know where to start. What kind of gun, where to go, should I get lessons on how to use it, and so on. I know very little about guns and have never in my life used one or touched one. I have always feared guns and even more so now that i have kids because of accidents that have happened in families owning guns. I know I would have to lock it up for sure.

My first question is, are you ready to kill someone? My father was in federal law enforcement and was always armed. He taught me the rules, first, if you pick up a gun, plan to shoot, second, if you shoot, plan to kill, dont shoot to wound. It may sound harsh; but, a gun is not for threatening, it is for killing. Too many people get killed by their own guns and if shoot someone there is always the chance they will die. If you won't shoot to kill then dont buy a gun.

As for the best gun. Buy a glock, very reliable. My personal preference is a 38 police special; but, the glocks are the best value for the buck. If you are going to own a gun, train. The short answer is don't miss, if you going to shoot someone make sure you don't miss. The general rule is two to the chest and one to the head.

In my opinion, owning a gun is a responsibility. It is more work than owning a dog because you have to make sure that it is never stolen or someone can die. There are some who think that drinking and hunting go together, I didn't grow up that way. Guns are for killing and if you are unwilling to kill then you shouldn't be shooting because death can occur. If you shoot there can be no hesitation, you have to decide in advance when and how you will use the gun.

There are many YouTube videos about guns. My personal favorite is FPS Russia, he always practices safe gun use and always checks his weapon after he has finished shooting. Gun safety is the most important in order to avoid mistakes. On YouTube search FPS Russia and Glock, he shows how preferable a Glock is for the money over most other guns although his preference is a 1911. My prefernce for the 38 police special is because revolvers require the least amount of maintenance and for non gun users, they may fail to keep up regular cleanings and checks on their weapon. My thoughts on the matter are simple, if I cannot kill you with three shots then it doesn't matter what weapon I have. Peace.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by PosterNutbag

Familiarize yourself with the penetration of different firearms on this site here: Box-O-Truth
This site lays out actual demonstrations of different penetration capabilities of different rounds. Many people are unfamiliar with actual firearm ballistics and capabilities largely because of what they see in movies and on TV.

OP: I commend you on your decision to protect yourself, and your family. The first step is the hardest, and that is convincing yourself that you actually need protection. I would say since you have children in the home storage is going to be as important if not more so than what actual firearm you choose. I would recommend getting a safe similar to something like this here: Gunvault This type of safe not only provides good security, keeping people out, it also provides speed that is very much needed if you need to access your firearm quickly.

There should be firearms instructors in your area that offer beginners classes for people who have no knowledge of firearms. I would recommend starting there. Most instructors will have several different calibers, and styles of firearms for you to test and become familiar with.
edit on 1/22/2012 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
For home defense I keep a shotgun. I consider it safer than a handgun in that I know so many people that have been shot by accident with handguns.

Growing up I used to put my shotgun on the back of my bike and pedal over to the trap range and shoot clay targets thrown by a machine. That might be a fun activity for you if you can find one nearby and it would help you get familiar with shooting it in a more realistic environment.

My shotgun is a 12 gauge. You could get a 20 or 410 shotgun which is a smaller less powerful gun but maybe better for you.

Here is a link to my favorite shotgun. It has a 20 inch barrel, which is a little shorter than standard. More for defense than clays shooting, the shorter the barrel, the more the pattern spreads out. It also holds 8 in the magazine and one in the chamber fully loaded. Some shotguns hold fewer shells. I do not recommend keeping one in the chamber, hopefully 8 is enough.

Mossberg 500 Mariner

This one has a special finish for use around salt water for when I get a sailboat again.

Mossberg is a made in USA brand. The military standard shotgun is the Mossberg 500. Suggest you avoid cheap guns, not worth the risk.

edit on 22-1-2012 by kawika because: add text

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Get a Dog for starters
and then a shotgun,

After that go to a local range and get to know the hand weapons they have there.

its one thing to protect your home and an other if you feel unsafe outside your home.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
Get a Dog for starters
and then a shotgun,

After that go to a local range and get to know the hand weapons they have there.

its one thing to protect your home and an other if you feel unsafe outside your home.

what if op or family is allergic.
a dog can only do so much
dog is no good without a weapon
to help your good pal out if it gets
itself in trouble..

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
So, I can get an argument started…

Most men size does matter. Bigger the better or so we believe.

And, yes I do fall in this category.

I conceal carry a 44 mag revolver or a 1911, depending on dress., I have 12 ga shotguns and keep one loaded with 3” double 00 buck and slugs.

But we must consider that most women are not as large and as strong as we find ourselves when we stand 6’1” and weigh in about 250 pounds.

The wife is 5’7” about 115 pounds, She has a hard time just picking up the 12, let alone recovering from a discharge.

I got her a 20ga, youth frame, then loaded it with low powder 2 ¾ shells and to give her more pattern chose single 0 buck.
It is kept in the closet, and when I am not home, her instruction is to flee to the closet, shut the door, get in the corner, don’t come out, if anyone opens the door , pull the trigger, even she can hit the door way from 8 feet. She is very comfortable with this plan, she is not expected to protect any thing in the house but herself.
She does keep her loaded .380 in the bedside table to ensure her flight to the closet is protected.

Now the tale of the intruder will change dramatically if I am home. I will go through the house hunting for an intruder, I have even been known to increase my hunting range to the outside when I have come up empty handed indoors. Many a night I have had to wake quickly to the racket the animals are making, grab a gun and run outside to see what all the fuss is about.

One night, awaked in this fashion, I grab the 1911, only to find a 30 pound Raccoon had dug into the chicken coop, I shot the coon from less than 10 feet away, hit it 5 times before it stopped its charge toward me.

So, a 22 in this case would have done nothing to protect me or the chickens from a creature so well motivated.

So, yes, each caliber has its own use and function.

You don’t use a tack hammer to drive a 16 penny nail.

For all of you 22 lovers, I do own a 22 rifle and a 22 pistol.

I use the 22 rifle for small game hunting, and the pistol for culling rabbits.

But, hunting deer you have to go larger, it is the only humane thing to do, you don’t want your prey to suffer any more than is necessary.

Same is true when it comes to home defense.

edit on 22-1-2012 by brokedown because: spelling correction

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Get a Dog for starters
and then a shotgun,

what if op or family is allergic.
a dog can only do so much
dog is no good without a weapon
to help your good pal out if it gets
itself in trouble..
Against a "standard" burglar, the barking dog alone is enough for them to move on. Now, if someone is after you specifically then the dog is definitely not enough.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

You gave a racoon 5 hits with a .45 (I suppose you dont have the A1 version) and only then it stopped? Sorry I dont believe you. What type of ammo was it?

You are known to increase your "hunting" range to the outside, may I ask you how many burglars you experience at one night? And you are known for that. Sounds hardly believable.

You wrote it was a 30 pound racoon. Sadly, racoons only get to average 20 pounds, and those are the biggest ones.

edit on 22-1-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
X10,000 on the biometric gun safe.

You should always have one if you have young children in the home, or a regular safe if you have visiting children.

I cant stress that strongly enough. Training comes first. Then go to a rental range. they will assist you in finding the proper weapon for your abilities and skill. You can try as many as you like/can afford ammo to try. You will probably find .38 or 9mm is about right. Try to find a model in stainless steel to cut down on cleaning and care.

I agree with this. Your not going to be fighting off hoards of zombies so whatever fire arm to feel good with is what you should go with. Safety and training is what is most important. Sadly for all our love of guns so many people who own them end up shooting themselves or loved ones because they fail at the most basic rules of safety.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter

You wrote it was a 30 pound racoon. Sadly, racoons only get to average 20 pounds, and those are the biggest ones.
I agree with most of your post, but I have personally killed a 23 lb 3 oz raccoon back in 2002. We weighed it because we had never seen one so damned big. So, they can exceed 20 lbs.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

The exception proves the rule. But 30 pounds is way to much. May I ask you what calibre and type of ammo you used for that guy? If he said it was a badger, maybe it would sound plausible. THEY are hard to stop if angry and they exceed the 20 pound range as well.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

there are plenty of dogs that are suitable for allergic persons,
my take on it all is that first you secure your home so your family feels safe
then you can go out and get to know the other options ,

your basic dog is a moral boost for the family and especially for the younger
a well kept dog will in most cases do what it takes to protect the heard and
as morbid as it sounds the dog might be the one that takes the first bullet/s that buys you time
to do your deed/s in protecting you your own.

id say your better of owning one then not.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter
reply to post by DarthMuerte

The exception proves the rule. But 30 pounds is way to much. May I ask you what calibre and type of ammo you used for that guy? If he said it was a badger, maybe it would sound plausible. THEY are hard to stop if angry and they exceed the 20 pound range as well.
My trusty S&W .357 4" Barrel 158 gr hollow point is my standard load and what I believe I used then. It did not take 5 shots, it took 2. I missed with the first
We had a rabies outbreak in the area at the time, so I did not want to take any chances.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

reply to post by popsmayhem

there are plenty of dogs that are suitable for allergic persons,
my take on it all is that first you secure your home so your family feels safe
then you can go out and get to know the other options ,

your basic dog is a moral boost for the family and especially for the younger
a well kept dog will in most cases do what it takes to protect the heard and
as morbid as it sounds the dog might be the one that takes the first bullet/s that buys you time
to do your deed/s in protecting you your own.

id say your better of owning one then not.

Good to have a dog,
but if it does take the first
bullet that will give you just
enough time to grab your
12 gauge and blast the son of a gun
to cloud 9

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Ours average 25 pounds but we have rather large older ones as well in the 40-45 pound range. I semi befriended one at my last house. A grumpy old 45 pounder. Big fat and grumpy like me. Used to lay on the deck in the sun next to me while i worked on my laptop. neither of us acknowledging the other. Course im not stupid enough to feed one lol.

They get real big when there is quality food around.

The largest ever weighed was 62.2 pounds.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 22-1-2012 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Great information you all are giving..I especially like all the conversation between you all.
To some questions: I do not intend on taking the gun outside of my home or off my property(rural area). I do own dogs, but small and inside dogs. Although I have thought about getting a large dog for outside as well.
I have not really thought about the "killing action" much, but if I were in a situation where mine or my families lives were at risk by some armed intruder(or not armed for that matter), you better believe I would shoot to kill until assumed death was accomplished.
Yes, I will take my time on my purchase and I will start by looking into some training classes. Like I said earlier, I will probably start with some friends who hunt regularly and maybe go out hunting a few times to get some of this fear I have out of my system.
Thanks ATS peeps..Great stuff!!

Oh..My size is 5.4 140 pounds, not very big but I am quite strong. Thats why I said I was afraid of the "boom" that might knock me on my feet..(edit)
edit on 22-1-2012 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

Maybe it is better to learn how to swing an ultra light baseball bat. There is nothing wrong with protecting your family with a gun but that little trigger can cause a lot of problems. A katana (japanese sword) would also scare the daylights out of an intruder.

On the other hand....don't bring a sword/bat to a gun fight...

edit on 22/1/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join