It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to buy a gun..for protection

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
In this time and age everyone is in survival mode, so being a single mom I am now ready to start thinking of purchasing a gun to protect me and my family. The thing is...I dont know where to start. What kind of gun, where to go, should I get lessons on how to use it, and so on. I know very little about guns and have never in my life used one or touched one. I have always feared guns and even more so now that i have kids because of accidents that have happened in families owning guns. I know I would have to lock it up for sure.
But I would rather have one in an extreme situation where I would have to protect my family.
I read about the young woman who shot and killed an intruder in Oklahoma early Jan. This makes me think even more that it is a good idea for me and the protection of my family to put away my fear of guns and go out buy one.
So, if any you have suggestions for me..Please feel free to post..
I am a bit leery of this idea, but I know it is important to be prepared for anything these days....
edit on 22-1-2012 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It is a great idea, I live in England so we cant actually do this shame cause I would defiantly have if I could.....

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

The best gun is the one you feel comfortable with.
Go to a range, and rent some.

Are you talking pistol or shotgun?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

If you have family members that are versed in firearms I would start there. You can also go around to local gun shops and see if they offer firearm classes, some do in my area. This could also give you the opportunity to shoot a few to get a feel for them before spending your money on one. Another resource is your local Carry Conceal trainers. You could contact some and see if they would be willing to give you a firearm class, you might even be able to work in your carry conceal permit in the process.

Once you learn a little bit about them then you can have the discussion about what you want to purchase.

Good luck.

edit on 22-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
How old are your kids? Do you plan on having the gun for home protection, walking around protection, or both?

I'd recommend taking a CCW (concealed carry) class if someone in your state offers one. Even if you don't want the permit you should take the class because it focuses on gun safety and control.

If you just want something for the home to protect against an invader go for a .38 or .357 revolver and grab a nice biometric gun safe. Simple point and click interface, you can keep it loaded in the safe and can just lay your hand on the scanner (to avoid fumbling and forgetting your safe combination in a stressed environment).

After you get into guns go after a Springfield XDM and get a CCW and protect yourself adequately. My aunt just went through a troubling divorce with an ex-husband who liked to sneak into their home (breaking the restraining order) and choke her out at night. I bought her a pink .38 and taught her how to use it safely and keep it locked up, now that dude doesn't come around anymore.
edit on 22-1-2012 by badfish420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Let us know what state you are in, and we can give better advice.

In general the answers are:

1. Congratulations on your decision!
And kudos for doing your research and being prepared to be responsible about gun ownership.
2. Yes, you definitely need training in using the gun, probably even before you purchase it, because the training is going to let you know what kind of gun you are comfortable with.
3. Don't worry about the caliber, or the name brand, or any of the other things so many amateurs will tell you are important. ANY gun can be lethal, and the most important thing is that you wield it effectively.
4. After the training, and the purchase, make sure to go shoot often to stay in practice.

The things to really consider when you do your gun training and gun shopping are semi-auto vs. revolver. They each have their pros and cons. The size of the gun, and how you will carry it. Is it going to be in your purse? In your car? In your home? The amount of arm and hand strength you have. My wife cannot chamber the first round of most semi-auto's, so a revolver is better for her. If the gun is only going to be in your home, a small shotgun might be an even better option. We have a shotgun for the home, and my wife and I each carry a .380 concealed on our person.

Good Luck!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
start with a bb gun.
then work your way up
to a shotgun 12 gauge
all u need for home protection.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

hi lyons. i would recommend a shotgun for your home and a semi auto pistol for your self, or you could just move up here to canada , into my just about finished basement suite and nanny for my three girls every other week, as a bonus i will teach you to shoot. lol. seriously though I have a ruger sr9 9mm a glock 22- 40 cal s&w a shotty and a 308 ww2 rifle. get the proper training have all your stuff locked up safely learn how to take them apart and clean/fix them. guns arent dangerous, they are inanimate objects that we have villified and personified somewhat. handling a gun unsafely is however dangerous. shoot safe and have fun

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I hate to quote metal gear but "even if you come across an enemy and you are unarmed you still need an effective attack strategy" >_> in other words CQC, or martial arts. personally i've been researching aikido techniques because it is purely defensive.

if you want to know which gun however, assault rifles are the best option for varied ranges, shotguns for close, your probably not going to need a 50. or a light machine gun >_> always identify your target, the worst thing you could possibly do is confirm your fears by accidently-ing your family.

thats about as much info as I can provide, living in the UK and all, we get shotguns if that.

ed: I didn't realise handguns were still ok over there.
edit on 22/1/2012 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

The things to really consider when you do your gun training and gun shopping are semi-auto vs. revolver. They each have their pros and cons. The size of the gun, and how you will carry it. Is it going to be in your purse? In your car? In your home? The amount of arm and hand strength you have. My wife cannot chamber the first round of most semi-auto's, so a revolver is better for her. If the gun is only going to be in your home, a small shotgun might be an even better option. We have a shotgun for the home, and my wife and I each carry a .380 concealed on our person.
Good Luck!

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. The only reason I would suggest a revolver for you is the stronger trigger pull and simpler interface (no need to remember to chamber a round). I find amateurs can get the mechanics of a revolver real quick, if only from what they've seen on cowboy movies.

The biggest question the OP needs to ask themselves is if they really are ready to defend their home and children using lethal means? Can you really pull the trigger on someone standing in your hallway with a baseball bat and your plasma TV? Will you be able to handle the mental consequences, and is this something you would want your children exposed to? If you can't honestly say yes then go to the same gun store and get yourself the most powerful projectile taser you can buy.

Something to consider when choosing the gun: bullets often don't stop after they hit a wall or a person. With a handgun you can buy safety rounds (hollowpoints) and greatly reduce killing your children along with the intruder. A shotgun isn't going to offer you this protection and any 12 guage will pop right through a wall in a home. I stick with my suggestion of the .38 revolver or straight 9mm/.380 semi.
edit on 22-1-2012 by badfish420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Congrats on deciding to take the leap into taking responsibility for your own defense!
There can never be too many armed law abiding citizens!

I'd personally suggest two things. First though, look around your local area for a well established and professional instructor for basic firearms handling and safety. I mean, before someone starts teaching you their idea of range shooting and all the bad habits.....
...spend the little bit of money for a day or two worth of instruction. It was priceless for me and my wife.

Second, I'd say you ought to ignore what everyone suggests for what gun is right for you. The only one that is right is the one you can handle, operate and feel totally comfortable with. To do that...Search your local area for Gun Ranges that rent firearms for use on their range. There is one in my area and I know of a number of them in different cities around the country from having seen ads and such. There is no replacement for range time just "test driving" different weapons to see which not only feels good in a gun store at the counter...but feels good after shooting for awhile...

Just a couple ideas...take them for what their worth.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
In Florida, they have a concealed carry class that gives you basic familiarity. Also many of the ranges allow you to rent guns in order to become familiar with them. If you have no familiarity with weapons at all, I recommend you stay away from single action pistols like the Colt .45. Go for a double action so you don't have to remember to cock the hammer back before being able to fire. For home defense, shotguns are great, but be aware that they can shoot through most walls in your home. A better choice would be a .357 magnum with frangible ammunition(try to get lead free). I recommend frangible ONLY because of your lack of experience and out of concern for others who may be in your home. The only time I would choose frangible ammo is while on an airplane. Once you gain experience and confidence switch to hollow point rounds.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If you want a good gun for home protection, right away, get a shotgun. I know you may be thinking hand gun and that's a good idea, but it's going to take you a lot of time and practice to get comfortable with one. Get someone who knows what they're doing to teach you and practice. In a home invasion scenario you are going to very nervous and shaky, so aiming a hand gun is going to be iffy. A shotgun throws a wide shot pattern so it's much easier to hit what you're aiming at. Store it with easy ADULT access in mind. If you can't get to it fast, it can't protect you. Get a good gun lock and actually practice getting to it and unlocking it in a hurry. Notice that one word through all this? PRACTICE.

Stupidly forgot to add, when you're going through the unlocking drill, Make sure your weapon is UNLOADED.
edit on 22-1-2012 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It all depends on you, but a nice home defense weapon is always a nice 12 gauge in long arms, or if you wanted something concealable go for the glock 23 .40 cal...Or a ruger p89 if you don't want to spend much money. That ruger is one of the best 9mms I have ever owned its just a bit bulky but I have bigger hands so it works out for me. if you planning on defending yourself against some "professionally trained" unwanted invaders I recommend a nice AK-47

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

plus i'd also recommend a self defense course, i pracctice tae kwon do. its great for your body and when viewed as a killing art, a well placed quick turning kick to a knee might really help you out ina jam. smaller fighters have been shown to generate more power in their strikes through the exponential of speed

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
In Florida, they have a concealed carry class that gives you basic familiarity. Also many of the ranges allow you to rent guns in order to become familiar with them. If you have no familiarity with weapons at all, I recommend you stay away from single action pistols like the Colt .45. Go for a double action so you don't have to remember to cock the hammer back before being able to fire. For home defense, shotguns are great, but be aware that they can shoot through most walls in your home. A better choice would be a .357 magnum with frangible ammunition(try to get lead free). I recommend frangible ONLY because of your lack of experience and out of concern for others who may be in your home. The only time I would choose frangible ammo is while on an airplane. Once you gain experience and confidence switch to hollow point rounds.

No,no,no. A shotgun most likely won't go through a wall. A .357? buddy, that will go through a person, through the wall, through your neighbor across the streets wall and end up in a tree on the other side. You have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
thank you all for responding so quickly..

I live in texas and my kids are 11 and 2..I am not sure if I want a pistol or shotgun. From what I have read from getreadyalready, I should probably take the class first and go from there. I know I would surely need to try a few different kinds of guns to see what best fits me, I do want to be able to handle it.. im most afraid of of the big bang and if I can still stand after shooting it. lol So i know i would need some practice. Maybe I should ask around and see if any of my hunter friends would be interested in some private shooting lessons.
Thanks again everyone, and I will check in frequently to see what has been posted, as well as an update when things start to come together as to what kind of gun, ect.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I would get a beretta 92 fs (9mm - the nato version) or the 96. Safer to carry and easy to shoot.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Texas has a lot of options..but here is one for an example of costs.. It isn't near what people might think for solid and professional training.

krtraining.com...

or... the University level training in terms of the defense world for those with healthy budgets.

www.gunsite.com...

^^ Gun Site is a place the Marine Corps used briefly as I understand it for foreign weapons courses. They are one of the top of the top..but the price matches. lol..

I'd really consider going the pro- route on at least the affordable end of things...since you don't know any bad habits to unlearn yet. Instructors love having that to start with.

edit on 22-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Added video for context and example...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Good for you then!
I fully endorse folks with guns, especially women with guns.
Goddess created all men, guns made them equal!

Depending on what state you live in, there may be laws you will need to look into, as for the posession, storing, etc...
As for the best gun for you, go with what you like.
There are many manufactures out there that make many good models, technology is at the point where even the "cheap" gun companies make a reliable product.

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of US guns, unless they are revolvers. (six shooters, wheelguns)
For my semiautos, i prefer German/Austrian weapons. (magazine fed guns Sig Sauer, H&K, Glock)
Just my preference is all.

All of that the same, go to a large gun store if you can with many firearms and hold as many of them as you can until you find the one that feels good to you, from there find a range that has this pistol for rent and shoot it to see if you like the handling.
Do not rush yourself, this just might be the most important investement you ever make.
Houses and cars and 401k can all go away, but you can get that all back, your life is a different thing!
Another useful tool is YouTube, look at the vids and see what folks have to say and use that as a "guide" in your investement.
But in the end get what you want, not what someone says is best for you.
I will say, steer clear of the 44 mag type "BIG BOOM" guns, they do not allow most muscular men to stay consistent on target in rapid fire situations, where a smaller caliber will.
Regardless of what they say, bigger is not always better.

I will say, avoid anything 25acp, it is fairly useless, again just my preference.
9 mm and 40 cal are excellent mainstream proven rounds.
Cheap, effective and easy to get.
Now get looking!
Hope it helps

(Edit)
I forgot to add, in the way of safety, there are guns that will not fire unless they have a magazine in them even with a round chambered.
Good for kid safety, as you can chamber the gun and remove the magazine and use the magazine like a key.
Note: no safety should ever be relied on, but if you are looking for extra safety, there are mechanisms that "help".
edit on 22-1-2012 by g146541 because: to add

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join