It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open source fanatics are withdrawn from reality.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I came across this excellent piece written by Erich Ufschmid that covers how Open Source users are disconnected from reality and are fantasy prone, they also don't realize how economics and the the world works. Also mental illness can explain their condition. www.erichufschmid.net...

Granted I will be called a Microsoft shill or some other non-sense by Linux fanatics on this board but oh well, they can't handle when their OS & software gets criticized, which is also covered in that article.

Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
lol.

if you think this deserves a comment you are sadly mistaken. bashing on peoples mental health is an even worse tactic to bait the open source crowd. allow me to explain, say you bought a computer to use personally, it cost you little (example the new raspberry pi thing) do you A) purchase windows, B) forget about setting it up yourself and go mac, having to buy the computer aswell due to their policies, or C) pay nothing, install unix, and go to the pub with the remaining cash?

thats how money works bro, you spend it and its gone, what you spend it on is down to how much your willing to be manipulated by clever mind games like what you just linked.

ed: I use windows personally because im not so used to unix script. stating that open source users however are somehow a group with mental health issues is a joke, my friend installed unix because windows had a virus that started uninstalling hardware, does that make him less world wisened? brainwashed mate, take a step back and try again.
edit on 22/1/2012 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
OpenSource is a very beautiful thing.

That is all.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Does this mean i have to get on anti-psychotics because I use Ubuntu,cant be anti- depressants,'cause I've been having fun with the money I didnt give Bill...lol...my comment is just as ridiculous as this idea....peace ya'll

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by PharohGnosis
I came across this excellent piece written by Erich Ufschmid that covers how Open Source users are disconnected from reality and are fantasy prone, they also don't realize how economics and the the world works. Also mental illness can explain their condition...

Perhaps from your source's perspective, but what if THEY were sane and knew to play fair and be nice to each other and OTHERS were all backwards thinkers retards with greed, vanity, selfishness and apathy on their mind?

In the military recruit I heard the drone programmer, the Master Corporal, say something rather cute

Private: "isn't this the back of the line Master Corporal?"
MC: "of course it is private moron, everyone else is just standing backwards staring at you!"

Playing nice is a matter of perception. Sharing without seeking material reward is also a perception.

to each their own.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Thats highly amusing, I've never read such a biased article before. (nevermind, i lied, ive read much crazier things)

Both linux and windows have their faults, but windows has a lot more of them. Open source leads to innovation, simply put. And you don't have to pay for it. seems like a win win.

I think people who still play the role of good slaves have mental disorders too. Which is most of everyone i've ever met. Maybe i should write an article on it. It would make more sense.
edit on 22/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I stopped using windows 7 and started using ubuntu a few months ago, never looked back.

No more continuous automatic updates and pointless background programs running taking up CPU and slowing down ma laptop bliss!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
nothing wrong with linux and open source and open source does not mean it runs on linux only it just means you've given the source code away for other people to use under a few rules and alot of it works as well as the paid for versions of similar products and you get the added value of being able to check the source code out for NSA backdoors etc (had to given this forum) and if you want to adjust it to suit your needs you can do

and if you're looking for nutcases devolved from reality you should be aiming at the apple fan boys rather than linux as they'll pay 3 times the value for stuff that goes out of date in half the time but think its perfectly normal

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
nothing wrong with linux and open source and open source does not mean it runs on linux only it just means you've given the source code away for other people to use under a few rules and alot of it works as well as the paid for versions of similar products and you get the added value of being able to check the source code out for NSA backdoors etc (had to given this forum) and if you want to adjust it to suit your needs you can do

and if you're looking for nutcases devolved from reality you should be aiming at the apple fan boys rather than linux as they'll pay 3 times the value for stuff that goes out of date in half the time but think its perfectly normal

You are wise beyond words
its the same with me, i look at Mac users like they are the crazy ones. You would have to be to pay 2000 dollars for something you can pay half that for. It doesn't make any sense.

Then you have the ones that continue to tell me that their mac is better than any PC, and then i give them some stats about my pc and it blows anything mac has to offer away, and im running on a two generation old platform (socket 775), haha.

When you buy mac, you're essentially buying the pretty case and the operating system (which is unix based anyways, lol) with mobile parts slammed in it so they charge people for the prettyness and 'user friendliness' of mac, which neither are the case =P

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

When you buy mac, you're essentially buying the pretty case and the operating system (which is unix based anyways, lol) with mobile parts slammed in it so they charge people for the prettyness and 'user friendliness' of mac, which neither are the case =P

Unix is different from Linux, you have to remember that. Plus Mac OS X actually works out of the box unlike Linux which needs to be fiddled with even in the command line.

People that hate Windows enough switch to Macs instead of using Linux because they want something that works and don't have to waste time to get to work.

Consumers don't care about Open Source philosophy and all that crap. They just want to be able to turn on their computer and use it. Linux will never move beyond a niche desktop market because their are too many GUIs, package managers, installers, distros, etc. Nothing is standardized.

People that use Linux don't understand consumer technology. Things have to work without any effort or minimal effort. Copy and pasting commands in a terminal is a hinderance. It's not the 70's anymore things should have moved past that by now. People keep saying Linux is the most advanced yet it still acts like a 1970's OS. Ubuntu is buggy as hell and makes Windows 98 look stable.

The only reason I see people using Linux and putting up with the frustration is they want to look 'cool' because they aren't using Windows. You can see it just look how Linux users refer to Microsoft as Micro$oft or M$, it shows their immaturity.

People complain about dlls in Windows but Linux has dependances that have to be resolved for the software to run, how is that any better? It's not, if not worse.

Why Linux Breeds Fanatic Fans

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by PharohGnosis

MacOSX is to unix what Ubuntu is to linux. They both do a good job of secreting away the underlying fiddly bits that make both OS's what they are.

Except with OSX, you pay through the nose, while with Ubuntu, you are set - and you pretty much don't need a terminal unless you are doing something more than your typical desktop user, but I do prefer a terminal at times.

I don't know when the last time you looked at a new distro, but gone are the days of having to compile everything you want... And ironically, since I decided to abandon some pointless gaming addictions tonight, I've spent the last few hours repartitioning my W7 machine so that IF NEEDED I can still boot into W7, but have given all priority to Ubuntu 10.10 -- 11.10 looks a little too simple for my tastes, and feels too new to run as my main OS.

But finally, once I've let partition magic do it's thing, off to ubuntu land..

edit on 22-1-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
OP, Linux geeks don;t get it. Here's a link to the entire article, of which your link is part 4. Here's a link to a recent discussion on ATS where I lay out my case against Linux. Note my opposition, before and after, and how she (I think) distorts my positions. The fact is (and this IS a fact) ALL of the Unix's (save Apple) account for a whopping 2% of the OS marketshare. See my posts for a full explanation.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

Unix is different from Linux, you have to remember that. Plus Mac OS X actually works out of the box unlike Linux which needs to be fiddled with even in the command line.

People that hate Windows enough switch to Macs instead of using Linux because they want something that works and don't have to waste time to get to work.

Consumers don't care about Open Source philosophy and all that crap. They just want to be able to turn on their computer and use it. Linux will never move beyond a niche desktop market because their are too many GUIs, package managers, installers, distros, etc. Nothing is standardized.

People that use Linux don't understand consumer technology. Things have to work without any effort or minimal effort. Copy and pasting commands in a terminal is a hinderance. It's not the 70's anymore things should have moved past that by now. People keep saying Linux is the most advanced yet it still acts like a 1970's OS. Ubuntu is buggy as hell and makes Windows 98 look stable.

The only reason I see people using Linux and putting up with the frustration is they want to look 'cool' because they aren't using Windows. You can see it just look how Linux users refer to Microsoft as Micro$oft or M$, it shows their immaturity.

People complain about dlls in Windows but Linux has dependances that have to be resolved for the software to run, how is that any better? It's not, if not worse.

Why Linux Breeds Fanatic Fans

There are so many generalizations, straw man arguments and logical fallacies being thrown around in here, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. For starters, as someone who has been in tech for over twenty years now, I can tell you that I fully understand and utilize both retail tech, and open source tech.

I own a Windows 7 gaming machine as my main desktop. I removed Windows from and installed Linux Mint on my work netbook because Windows was a bloated OS for such a device. I also have a Nook Color running an Open Source port of Android (CM7) that allows me not only run the Nook book store software, but thanks to the Open Source Android, it also runs Amazon Books and Google Books along with a plethora of other Android apps that it couldn't run in stock form. I have a Windows 7 Laptop that stays on the coffee table in the living room, a second Ubuntu 11.10 desktop on my desk, and a Windows Vista Ultimate media center PC. Each machine has a purpose and the software I have chosen for it works great. In fact, I could replace Windows on my living room laptop and media center and they would work great with Linux, but I don't really need to.

I am an IT Pro, and at my business we extensively use closed (retail) and open source software, and in many cases, the open source software allows us to save money to be used elsewhere in our business, while still providing us with fantastic and stable/preferable alternatives. One of those places is in Server Virtualization where we run Linux (CentOS) with KVM, Gluster, ConVirt, Zimbra and many other open source enterprise-quality packages. All of our server tech in my building is Linux and Unix based.

As for having to "tinker" with Linux Desktop to get it to work, I take it you haven't used any popular version of Linux in the past few years, such as Ubuntu, Red Hat, Cent, Mint, Debian, etc. I have installed these operating systems on many computers in place of Windows, and rarely even have to download a driver let alone tinker with them to make them work. If I take these same computers an install Windows XP, Vista or 7 on them, I often have to go chase down drivers (though Windows 7 is much better now) I think you're speaking from some dated information or misconceptions. I agree that a few years ago you would still come across some annoyances such as getting Flash to work in the browser, but those days are gone for the "mainstream" Linux distros.

I could go on and on about how both types of software have their place, and how Linux is improving by leaps and bounds every year, or that most of the internet you surf every day is comprised of Unix and Linux servers, but I think you probably have made up your own mind already and decided that Open Source is a useless idea. It's too bad, you are missing out.
edit on 22-1-2012 by JeepEscape because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2012 by JeepEscape because: corrections

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
OP, Linux geeks don;t get it. Here's a link to the entire article, of which your link is part 4. Here's a link to a recent discussion on ATS where I lay out my case against Linux. Note my opposition, before and after, and how she (I think) distorts my positions. The fact is (and this IS a fact) ALL of the Unix's (save Apple) account for a whopping 2% of the OS marketshare. See my posts for a full explanation.

So your argument against Linux is based on a a website with 10+ year old op-eds that rail against Linux? I don't know if Linux is going to ever "replace" Windows, and I fail to understand how that even matters. Price alone is a major reason someone may want to use Linux and other open source programs instead of Windows and other retail software. Now that hardware is so cheap these days, the software is often the most expensive part of a computer purchase. Software prices have not gone down at all in most areas.

I can build someone a Linux machine for their home, using all open source software to handle most common needs, and save them hundreds of dollars. Even to say this about Linux is to only scratch the surface of how amazing it is as far as usefulness and customization for special applications, thanks to open source. I find the scope of your argument against Linux to be very narrow. If you are saying your Grandma is better off using Windows, I won't disagree, unless of course she can't afford Windows, or the often expensive retail versions of software she may need. If you are trying to say your Grandma won't be able to use Linux because it is somehow too difficult or cryptic, then I say you need to update your information.

I'll add this just for fun: Ubuntu Linux, for example, is making two major version releases per year with huge strides in technology and user friendliness based on feedback from their many users all over the world (12 million and growing as of 2010). If you check out the latest version, I think you will find it to be a very nice OS, though not a clone of Windows or Mac. I haven't experienced any of this bugginess you complain about on any of the machines I am running it on.

Market share does not equal quality. I'll remind you that McDonalds is an extremely popular restaurant globally, and that their food in fact, sucks. However, you can find them anywhere you go, they are accessible, and simple. Should we conclude that McDonalds food is some of the best food on the planet?
edit on 22-1-2012 by JeepEscape because: clarity

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

I came across this excellent piece written by Erich Ufschmid that covers how Open Source users are disconnected from reality and are fantasy prone, they also don't realize how economics and the the world works. Also mental illness can explain their condition. www.erichufschmid.net...

Granted I will be called a Microsoft shill or some other non-sense by Linux fanatics on this board but oh well, they can't handle when their OS & software gets criticized, which is also covered in that article.

Enjoy!

have you noticed the date in your link ?

things have changed immensely since 2001

free software is not a fantasy and linux users are not the makers of that fantasy,

where would the world be without vlc, firefox, etc,

are you jealous that some people prefer not to spend hard earned money for a licence to use an o/s thats full of flaws,
if you believe that 'i use free, open source software' actually means 'i have a mental illness' then you should stop using the internet,
most web servers run free open source

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

What is your problem seriously. You are talking the same old rubbish as the OP with nothing to back it up... what is with this anti-linux fantasy of you creeps lately?

And for the record, i am not a she.

Again, last time i will bother trying to tell you. There is no market share with Linux and there never will be as it is Free-Open source software. I've tried to tell you that there is no license to be payed in order to use Linux nor is there any kind of shares system.

Please state a source of where you got the 2% from.

Stop talking complete utter rubbish. And please stop posting all over the place about "me".

top topics

join