It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick question about ATS uploads! (And Image Deletions)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Majic's pony in the first post or the second one?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Have you tried leaving ATS and coming right back?

Maybe it is still stored somehow in your browsers memory?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra

Majic's pony in the first post or the second one?

Both of them...they are both still visible to me!

Yours is the only one that is a red "x"!

I see the screen shot of mine with the x...but it's still there...I have logged out...cleared everything...logged back in and the pictures of the pony and mine remain!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Schroedinger's Pony

Well, after making a few calls, I managed to get ahold of my technical support pony, who assured me that what we're seeing is a side effect of the way cloud computing works, and that we should eventually stop seeing the images we delete, but it may take a while.

Considering she's a leading expert on clouds, I'll go with that.

edit on 1/22/2012 by Majic because: Image update test.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Alrighty...thank you for the update!

I'll go with that explanation too then...sounds right...and I know nothing about cloud computing!

Let's see how long it takes my deleted image to go bye bye!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Notes From The Overlord

As a follow-up, here are some comments from Bill about image deletions and the ATS Uploader:

Content Delivery Network cache persistence

Image deletion and the CDN cache

Over five hours later, I just cleared my browser cache again (Firefox 10 Beta) and the picture of Octavia I deleted is still showing (for me, anyway) in my test post. ** That's a lot longer than the twenty minutes Bill mentioned, but it's a big cloud out there.

What we do know for sure, however, is when we hit that red "X" to delete an image, that image is supposed to eventually disappear, so that hopefully answers the original question.

** I should add: it is still showing intermittently, like it did in our earlier testing. On one page load it will be there, on another it won't. I hypothesize that this is an effect of the image url being redirected to different servers on the CDN, some of which have the image and some of which don't.

But since Rainbow Dash says not to worry, I won't worry.

edit on 1/22/2012 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

The twenty minutes that Bill spoke of must have not been his best conservative guess!

I'm thinking more like 8+ hours now...the cloud must be huge!

My picture is still visible and the pony's are still up...so umm...maybe he meant 20 hours, days, years, decades, centuries, etc...?

I'll keep checking back out of curiosity to see just how long it takes...if ever...for the image from the thread (although some are instant) to be deleted!
edit on 22-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
36+ hours and counting...the images remain...amazing!

How big can a computing cloud be?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Reply Cloudy, Ask Again Later

Hmm. Maybe this will work...

I suspect what we're seeing is what Bill mentioned here. For whatever reason, the "purge cache" command doesn't seem to be purging all that well.

I don't know if they ever got back to him on it, but because it doesn't really break anything serious, and Bill is usually insanely busy working on What's Coming Next, I'm reluctant to bug him about it.

And who knows? Maybe in a few years, the CDN clouds will finally clear.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

I don't know if they ever got back to him on it, but because it doesn't really break anything serious, and Bill is usually insanely busy working on What's Coming Next, I'm reluctant to bug him about it.

Agreed...it's nothing serious...but an interesting phenomenon just the same!

Can you imagine though if a person posted a picture that was not necessarily appropriate...sure the post could be removed...but the image might be out there forever...linked right here to ATS!

That might cause a stir for some folks!

I'll check back on this thread next year (if SOPA hasn't shut it down) and if the image is still lingering...then I'll truly be amazed (more so than I am already)!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join