It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shadow People - Whats the truth? And what are your experiences with them?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Shadow People - What's the story

Hi guys and girls. The discussion on this thread is a subject that has touched many people including me and one of my friends. Shadow people. If you don't know what shadow people are, you can google it and find out a lot of information regarding this phenomena. I myself experienced one of the most classic Shadow People encounters.

It was about 4 years ago now, and the story starts with my close friends experiencing something that terrified him. He and his girlfriend were up one night watching tv, he decided to go to bed as he had work in the morning quite early. He said goodnight and went up to their room. After getting in bed he lay there for a while thinking, as you do before you fall asleep. Minutes later, he felt a strange tingling all over his body, then the duvet (blanket) pull tight around him, he assumed it was there dog and was about to tell her off when he realised he couldn't speak. Panicked, he tried to move and couldn't, not even an inch. He looked down to the bottom of the bed and saw a shadow moving slowly across, past his feet. He tried to move with all his might but he could not, no matter how he strained. He tried to call for his girlfriend, then the dog, but was not able to. After panicking more, he began screaming at it in his head, saying "get out of my house, get out of my house!"
Amazingly it passed across the room and left through the slightly ajar door. As soon as it was out of sight he could move again, literally instantly. At once he screamed out for help and his girlfriend downstairs was scared out of her skin and ran out to the hallway where she saw him stumbling down the stairs, and i quote, as if he was "pissed out of his face" (very very drunk). He explained what had happened and for weeks and weeks he would not sleep in there.

A few weeks later

i had recently lost the place i was living in and had to move back with my parents for a little while whilst i sorted something out. one night i was falling asleep at about midnight i guess, i lay there, my mind wndering when i felt a strange almost pins and needles feeling all over, not painfull, kinda tingly. That reminded me of my friends experience and i tried to move and couldn't. I knew the switch for my lamp hung just behing my bed, but i just couldnt move. I decided not to open my eyes cos i didnt wanna freak out, instead I remembered what had worked for my friend and how he got rid of it. So in my head i screamed for it to go away (in a bit more of a firm wording) and it did, i could move instantly, i reached up and put my light on, then sat up in bed. I felt weak, really weak, and i just sat there for a while. I put the tv on, got a drink and sat up till about 4, when it started to get light, then i went to sleep.

The next dy i rang my friend and tol him what had happened, we shared more details and were stunned at how many similarities there were in how we felt afterwards, weak, fatigued, clumsy.

This experience changed the way i look at the world completely, i already saw a lot of wierd things, but this was in my home, where i grew up as a kid. Crazy. Any thoughts and/or similar experiences would be great guys.

Thanks for reading ppl

edit on 22-1-2012 by Indigo86 because: Typos

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Hey Indigo86,
It sounds to me like you and your friend experienced what's called sleep paralysis. It'll probably be easier for you to understand by going to this page ]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis[/url] rather than me explaining it to you. While it's just a theory, I think it's a plausible answer. Good luck. Oh, and if the link doesn't work just do a Google search.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamanonymous
Hey Indigo86,
It sounds to me like you and your friend experienced what's called sleep paralysis. It'll probably be easier for you to understand by going to this page ]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis[/url] rather than me explaining it to you. While it's just a theory, I think it's a plausible answer. Good luck. Oh, and if the link doesn't work just do a Google search.

en.wikipedia.org...

Fix'd

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
My wife was in bedroom and I took a shave in the bathroom when I heard some moaning from her. I stopped and asked "did you just said something"? When I got no reply I went on shaving my face. It was five minutes after I heard the moaning from her when I entered the bedroom. It was nearly dark outside and the door to the garden was open (I have a wooden door to the terrace in my bedroom)

When I entered the room I saw her trying to move upwards and she had a something in her look that send chills down my spine. She said the moment when I opened the door to come in she was able to move again. She saw a shadow standing in the terrace door. She was not able to move, nor to scream for me (the moaning!)

Because I read about shadow people here I asked her, did he had something on the head?
She looked in panic and again I got chills down my spine because I "knew" she saw. I answered for her -> "a hat?"
she swallowed and was not able to give me an answer but I could see the pure fear in her face.
I gave her time and she finally said it was like the hat my father uses to wear outside.

Do you know the old movie "Django"? My father used to work for the set and he got one of the hats and the black survival knife (one of 4) from the movie set after they finished the movie. Anyways I typed in "shadow hat" into google and scrolled down the page.

THIS was when she freaked out into tears:

By the way, she has lucid dreams every night, I found out about 5 years ago, when we were talking about dreams and I told her that I want to try controlling a dream. This was when she looked amused at me and said that she´s able to dream this way since she can think. While speaking about shadow people, she mentoined that she saw something similar when she was really young, lying in her crib. There was a man standing there, not looking human but at the same time looking human. He had an angry expression on his face and a WHITE coat on.

When she finally freaked after seeing the picture above, it was clear to me that there has to be something true to the shadow people stories!

Edit: We asked my father and he was not even in town that night, nor would he sneak up without saying anything. Nor would he wear his hat (its not the jango hat anymore, more like the australian butter knife guy) at night.
edit on 22-1-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

Edit: While reading the blanket thing, it comes to my mind that she told me she was not pressed into the bed, more glued or held from behind. Meaning the force came from behind, not from the front.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by iamanonymous

Thanks for the link, will definately check it out. im positive it wasnt a dream because i was thinking rationally as if i was awake.I will check it out and get back to you guys

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Mate, thanks for the info, very similar to what i experienced (couldnt move and feeling of being glued to bed) also the pic u linked, well its freaky, but my friend who experienced it first said that as a child staying with his nan he saw that exact image in the reflection of a mirror on the landing and he ran out of the house. His nan said shehad seen it before and not to worry about it. He never saw it again tho.

That pic is also refered to as "the hatman". Thousands of people have seen it around the world.

Thanks for all the info and posts, me and my girlfriend are intrigued and its good to know im not the only one.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo86

Thats what we´re all here for

BTW:

When I was young, I shared the same dream with my 2 1/2 year older uncle (sounds crazy I know).
He was sleeping in my room and we both had the same "nightmare". We even drew the scene on papers, everyone in another room and painted a chipmunk figure that I had twice to the same details!

The dream:
I was swimming in about 50 cm high water on the property of my parents. The whole ground was flooded with water- There were plenty of people, all having fun and I recall the water azur blue, like chlored water. So I was swimming in the shallow water and entered our barn that was used as a garage back then. Inside the barn, at a height about 5-6 meters is the beginning of the first floor of that barn. There was some magican in a RED coat, with a white/gray beard and blood red eyes standing up there and looking down on my with an angry face.

My uncle benjamin dreamed the same. We were so # scared to hell. When I think back now, there is no fear, just curiousness.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I am 40 years old and I remember my experience 26 years ago like it was yesterday. I was 14 or 15, it was long ago like I said, and I awoke in the middle of the night to see shadow on my door. The way "he" was standing it appeared to me that the person had to have been standing in the hallway casting the shadow onto my door.

It did not move. It was as still, waiting, silent. Almost as if I caught it watching me and it wasn't going to move till I fell asleep again. I was so scared.

I remember the shadow had some sort of long jacket with a short collar and the hat was more like a fedora, like Indiana jones. Scared the living hell out of me.

Trust me, I often ask what happened next? I don't remember. I must have fallen asleep again. I don't remember anything after except asking my dad that morning if he was standing outside my door with a fedora and a jacket on while not moving. Yes, he did look at me funny, and then answered no.

What scares me is that this was before I had internet. I felt alone when telling people what happened during the following weeks after. Once I started seeing the phenomenon online a few years ago I was even more scared that other people experienced almost this same exact thing.

Is it real? I don't know, but it's real enough to me. If it was a trick of the mind then ALOT of brains like to play the same trick on their people.

The hat men phenomenon is real. The hats may be different, but that shouldn't matter. Real shadows or tricks of the mind....they are real either way to us who have seen them. That was my only experience with it.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Guys (and Girls), I found something:

thehatmanproject.com...

The site is currently under construction (the last several month, looking at the dates) but you can read many stories he collected. I found the link here. He seems to be the owner of that website and explains how he came in touch with this theme.

www.monstrous.com...

Edit: BTW, the TV series "Fringe" has those "watchers". quite similar, even if you can see their faces.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

From the picture, I must ask, why is SkepticOverlord creeping around your house?

Anyway, they aren't people. They screw with part of your brain that makes judgements about shapes but in fact if you honestly reflect upon it, discarding any high-level cognitive judgements made at the time and focus upon the actual images, you'll realize what you saw wasn't a person at all but more of an amorphous entity.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

I did not saw the shadow man, my wife saw it. I just read about before and after that incident I googled images and this picture was the one she pointed out. What has this to do with skeptic overlord?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
listen no joke, myself and my step-daughter have seen dark shadows walking..or floating around our house... scared the livied poo right out me.we were watchin tv and like all of a sudden we both looked down the hallway and sure enough there was a shadow about the size of a person that just turned and went down the hallway away from us. I went through the whole house,nothing,we both assured each other that we did see this thing. like I said tripped us out....

We moved eventually,and yes either they followed us ,or they were at the new house before,but I started to see them in the new place,daytime and night time, daytime was really weird i mean the house was full of sunlight,and there was just this dark like cloud figure,by the way we cannot talk about this with my wife she completely freaks out.i beleive she has had an episode like we have had but wont say.. I know that the shadows have followed us to three 3 different homes, we are curently in our fouth house and have ahd no experinces here........YET...

my two dogs noticed something also .to this day I watch my animals for any weird signs BELEIVE IT

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

I did not saw the shadow man, my wife saw it. I just read about before and after that incident I googled images and this picture was the one she pointed out. What has this to do with skeptic overlord?

Then pass the info along. I got it cracked and they don't come around any longer and don't terrorize my girlfriend.

The SO thing is just that the pic looked like him, or how I might imagine him looking if he crept around in people's houses in a hat and trenchcoat.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
FINALLY! A THREAD I HAVE EXPRIENCE IN!! Okay, while I have no had exprience like most of the comment posters, I do know what you mean by shadow people, or to an extent at least. In our house, which is about 80+ years old, there's this shadow like prescene on the second floor hallway. Me, my mom, dad, brother, sister and brother's girlfriend have all seen it at one point or another.

Sometimes at night, sometimes in daylight. It's always this shadow like human-figure at the corner of your vision, but when you turn to look for it, nothing is there. I swear I almost screamed when I first saw it, took me hours to get back to sleep.

So...I'm pretty sure it's not the same as the Shadow People you all are talking about, but I thought I would bring it up just in case there are any similiarities.

On an off-topic subject...any of the older 70s generation heard of Candle Cove?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Hi people, just wanna say thanks for all the info and personal stories shared on my first thread, gave me a lot more than i could of hoped for,

THATS WHY I LOVE ATS!!! Thanks again

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
About two years ago my very best friends told me of how he woke up and was inable to move he said he could not even breathe. He said it was as if a shadow was just hanging over the top of his body, before I had heard of this specific phenomenon I just thought it were a ghost but the way he described it is eerily accurate to the details of yours and your friends story. Im going to tell him about this.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

edit on 24-1-2012 by SageBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
my first home i lived in to age 8 had many strange activities among them what i called shadow people. they looked a lot like the stick figures on traffic signs. they would emerge from shadows and jump out of this paisley print wall paper that was in most of the rooms, most of the time i'd be too frightened to do anything, but i once got so scared i knocked over a humidifier that was on the nightstand between me and my older brothers bed. lots of screaming and crying that night. my brother and i shared a room but he never recalls seeing anything but he could sleep through a nuclear holocaust.

they didn't seem to come close to me while in bed just linger around the room then i'd fall asleep. however i had a strange habit of waking up in weird places other than my bed .. behind a couch, on a couch, on the bathroom floor, at the foot of my parents bed, in our toyroom, etc. i have one memory of being carried by one of the shadow people, unable to move or talk i'm unsure where i was originally but they carried me back to my bed that time.

i haven't had any experiences like that since moving out of that house. i sometimes act weird around mirrors when roaming my house at night but i have yet to see or experiencing anything freaky

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
A few months ago, I was stuffed up with allergies and the only way I could sleep was on my back (I usually sleep on my side). I have no idea what time it was, but sometime during the night, I opened my eyes and saw what I now know is a shadow person standing at the end of my bed. Mine was not a "hatman" as a lot of you describe, but a hooded shadow. I don't remember getting freaked out or not being able to move. I think I managed to roll over on my side and go to sleep again. At some point later, I saw another figure crouched down beside my bed on the side I was facing. I perceived it to be my girlfriend (who does not live with me and was not staying over that night) trying to spook me and I swatted at the shadow. My hand passed through it and I rolled over onto my other side and finished out my sleep.

The next day, I remembered what had happened to me and started to research around. I had never sensed a ghost or any weird paranormal stuff before in my house. I had recently purchased a ouija board and had played with it a few times, so I thought may I had opened a "door" or something. I read about sleep paralysis, astral projection and shadow people. I tend to believe the shadow person theory. Astral projection, while fascinating, is a little far fetched for me. Sleep paralysis doesn't make sense because I was able to move when I saw the shadows.

I've not had anything like this happen again, but it was spooky and still frightens me a bit to think about.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Hello, I'm absolutely new & joined this site to share my story. After Google-ing "shadow person" today I realized a lot of people have similar experiences! I'm so glad. I swear I wasn't hallucinating. I find science way too narrow-minded when it comes to explaining such phenomena and most paranormal stuff way too "BS" as well, so anyone who is somewhere in between or can relate to this or has experienced the same, like some of you here, I would be glad to hear your opinion on this matter.

It was a matter of a few seconds through my peripheral vision. I woke up today and saw a huge man shadow on the white wall after being fully awake. No legs were visible, but it was definitely a man. I wasn't scared and thought maybe it is some spirit spying on me or it is my guardian (if I have one that is). Well the thing is my life has been going well, but I guess not enough positive to experience this. A few days ago I got extremely sick that it made me really pessimistic. The whole sickness and other personal problem made me really bitter like feeling very unmotivated lately. So can an encounter with a shadow man today be related when you are extremely down? Has anyone saw the man when they were extremely down and stressed?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join