It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You heard of SOPA and PIPA.Now ACTA! Must read.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatiwatcher007

Time to move to Asia I assume.
Unless they are thinking of something like that..
Sorry I forgot,in most countries they do control it.North Korea and I think China...Who else?
Either way.WHERE DO WE GO

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by hellzdoms
So I decided to make a thread about this whole new ACTA thing...It might sound good but I tell you something. It is not.

So to explain what ACTA is-

ACTA - The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement is a proposed plurilateral agreement for the purpose of establishing international standards on intellectual property rights enforcement in Europe.
ACTA would establish a new international legal framework that would create its "own governing body outside existing international institutions" such as - the World Trade Organization (WTO), the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) or the United Nations.
An open letter signed by many organizations, including Consumers International, EDRi (27 European civil rights and privacy NGOs), the Free Software Foundation (FSF), the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), ASIC (French trade association for web 2.0 companies), and the Free Knowledge Institute (FKI), states that "the current draft of ACTA would profoundly restrict the fundamental rights and freedoms of European citizens, most notably the freedom of expression and communication privacy."

The following video should explain more.
But before I post it I would like to ask you. How would you feel if I could not provide a source of my information, because of copyright..All you would have got is 'this website is blocked' or' this video does not work in this country'. Now that would be dreadful. I would be sent to prison for sharing information.
As the video explains this counterfeit system is not exactly the best.

This is the following video-

Furthermore, before I finish this thread.
I think it’s the time to end this. Companies are going crazy and mad with power. When I say companies. Yes I consider most of the modern governments run by corporations and others. They require this because they are scare of our freedom to enjoy videos and other things. Please watch the video and do share it along with others. It is important just like SOPA itself.

I want freedom and so do you.

It’s time to change this.

It’s time to ACTAgainst it.

After SOPA and PIPA battle in US, another started in Poland. This time it is against Polish government signing ACTA on 26 January in Tokyo. This almost went without noticing. But thanks to Wiki black out, ACTA came into average Internet user awareness. This started to be a national issue, because of potential consequence it could have to free speech and free Internet as because of way it went through EU Committee and Polish government. All the secrecy and evasion of normal democratic tools that are usually used to approve a bill like this made people mad. Polish Internet went nuclear. Parliaments, Prime Ministers, Ministry of Foreign Affairs web pages are down due to DDoS. Most of major independent websites black outed. Over half million people protest on Facebook (Polish facebook has about 7 million users). This went event into major news outlets attention in Poland. People went even on streest. There was over thousand people protesting in front of European Union Information Office in Warsaw. There are to be protests in all major cities in Poland. This induced special parliament meeting today. Unfortunately Prime Minister Donald Tusk gave authority to sign ACTA. He told that he won't bend over hackers and pirates blackmail. But ACTA to be a law in here, has jet to be voted in parliament to be ratified.

My point is that there's a HUGE S***storm over ACTA in Poland. Really probably biggest since Polish president and many major politicians died in plane crash in April 2010. But for some reason I can't find any news about this in foreign news outlets. Only small notes about hackers attacking government websites.
To sum this up this

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nebro

Thanks for the update,I know there has been stuff happening i have been reading it on polish websites and news and they aint happy about it.I have not seen anything on the British news about it.How weird? either way hopefully that big protest will make them think for a minute before they do something.

TVN24 Polish news channel,reporting protesting in different cities
This is in Polish so i would suggest translating it.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hellzdoms

This is BIG ISSUE. Obama ALREADY signed this bill! www.webpronews.com...

Signing online petitions will not help. We have to circumnavigate now.

The best thing you can do now is install Tor and learn how to use it. Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security known as traffic analysis. In order to circumvent the coming corporate takeover of the web, we’re going to have to go underground, creating a sub-internet of encrypted nodes known as a “darknet”. It’s probably going to be like the internet was in the beginning, with most people only seeing what AOL wanted them to see, and only a small group of super-nerds existing outside of that bubble in the “real” internet. It’ll take another twenty years for them to catch up to us again.

www.torproject.org...

I urge you all to look into this. It might be all that we can do to keep our privacy.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I posted this on another ACTA thread. I think it is relevant to this:

I'm bumping this thread as the ACTA legislatian was signed by over 20 countries, including the US and Japan. It bypasses national parliments and has worldwide ramifications. Effectively it would give a limited quantity of corporations the power the censor the internet. We need to mobilise agianst ACTA just as we did against SOPA and PIPA. We need to let them know that we will not stand by while they censor the World Wide Web.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

People like us are in the minority. If the majority are happy with the current situation, what right do we have to enforce our views on them? It would be hypocritical to do so. Sure we can show them the alternatives but at the end of the day until the majority want this system to change we are stuck with it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Corcyra

Yeah it is not going to be easy now on the internet.Especially in europe.
Thank god that Poland is not having it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Thanks for telling me this,and the others..Nice one.
Well as i mentioned and i think someone else did,in poland there has been riots and hacking so hopefully that will send out a message..weird how its not shown on the news in Britain.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Yeah thats brainwashing for you..People dont care anymore.Even in Britain.The England riots 2011 were not just a revolutionary against the politics act.It was a act of 'lets get what we can' and they did. Shame really,but one day people will realise..
I think we are going to send pigeons with letters to each other to contact one another

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
this is huge, i just read that 22 EU nations signed the bill and a bunch of other nations outside the US.

ACTA is AT LEAST as bad as SOPA, if not significantly more. Monitoring internet traffic is required to impose such bills..and this is a HUGE invasion into privacy.

To top it up, the US did all this secretly due to fears they would meet opposition since they basically KNOW it will cause big problems with privacy here in Europe if it becomes more known.

SOPA is a joke compared to this.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

He told that he won't bend over hackers and pirates blackmail.

He is not bending over "hackers and pirates"...but only too willing to bend over for Ted Turner, Rupert Murdoch...

As in regards to "blackmail"...this is very funny because eg. Spain was BLACKMAILED and threatened with "trade sanctions" quite literally if they don't adapt the "Sinde Law". And this is a fact.
edit on 27-1-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
On a certain site which i am not allowed to post... there are 625.000 people who signed the petition against Acta....This will get over 1MIO signatures tommorow i guess...
So this petition will be sent to Brusseles and i think this f****** Acta will not pass...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by borutp

Well i wish that could happen.
They done a dirty trick by signing it quietly without no one knowing..
But this should hopefully do it.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

With all the other threads closed pertaining to this subject. I am sure this will be lost in the maze. However I will try to get the info out if anyone is interested. To sign the Stop ATCA now petition go to Stop Acta Now www.avaaz.org. it had close to 900,000 a growing a few minutes ago. It was none stop. They should reach a million shortly.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

I hope they do..
I even posted a video on my gamer channel with petitions and telling others to sign it. I think if we do enough of them hopefully we can knock some sence into this stupid act.
This is the video, I know its minecraft but thats what I do and I hope that someone will spread it about so more people know..especially gamers since I believe there is a lot of them out there

top topics

<< 1   >>

join